boot option help please - Mandriva

This is a discussion on boot option help please - Mandriva ; I went into MCC and changed a bunch of stuff aroind.I deleted everything on my hdc and hdd drives.I have 3.xp and mandriva 2008 are on sda.I made hdc my swap over drive and formatted it vfat. I made hdd ...

  1. boot option help please

    I went into MCC and changed a bunch of stuff aroind.I deleted
    everything on my hdc and hdd drives.I have 3.xp and mandriva 2008
    are on sda.I made hdc my swap over drive and formatted it vfat.
    I made hdd my bakup drive and formatted it ext 3.
    What has me confused is when I boot or reboot I get the choice
    of Mandriva 2008 and Mandriva 2008 failsafe but I also get as
    the third choice my old windows 98 which was on hdc but I reformatted taht
    drive so I have no idea why it comes up on the boot screen.It tries
    to startup but all I get is a bunch of error msg's.
    How do I get rid of the boot choice for my non existent
    windows 98.
    Here's my fstab if that will help

    /dev/sda5 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    /dev/sda8 /home ext3 relatime 1 2
    /dev/hda /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom1 auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec
    0 0
    /dev/cdrom2 /media/cdrom2 auto
    umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto
    umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,exec,flush 0 0
    /dev/hdd1 /mnt/backup ext3 umask=0 0 0
    /dev/hdc1 /mnt/dos vfat umask=0 0 0
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c3 ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,ro 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda7 /usr ext3 relatime 1 2
    /dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

  2. Re: boot option help please

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:36:31 GMT, Itsdale wrote:
    > I went into MCC and changed a bunch of stuff aroind.I deleted
    > everything on my hdc and hdd drives.I have 3.xp and mandriva 2008
    > are on sda.I made hdc my swap over drive and formatted it vfat.
    > I made hdd my bakup drive and formatted it ext 3.
    > What has me confused is when I boot or reboot I get the choice
    > of Mandriva 2008 and Mandriva 2008 failsafe but I also get as
    > the third choice my old windows 98 which was on hdc but I reformatted taht
    > drive so I have no idea why it comes up on the boot screen.

    Well, I would edit the boot loader config file and remove the
    offending entry and try again.

  3. Re: boot option help please

    On 2007-11-14, Itsdale wrote:
    > I went into MCC and changed a bunch of stuff aroind.I deleted
    > everything on my hdc and hdd drives.I have 3.xp and mandriva 2008
    > are on sda.I made hdc my swap over drive and formatted it vfat.
    > I made hdd my bakup drive and formatted it ext 3.
    > What has me confused is when I boot or reboot I get the choice
    > of Mandriva 2008 and Mandriva 2008 failsafe but I also get as
    > the third choice my old windows 98 which was on hdc but I reformatted taht
    > drive so I have no idea why it comes up on the boot screen.It tries
    > to startup but all I get is a bunch of error msg's.
    > How do I get rid of the boot choice for my non existent
    > windows 98.
    > Here's my fstab if that will help
    >
    > /dev/sda5 / ext3 relatime 1 1
    > /dev/sda8 /home ext3 relatime 1 2
    > /dev/hda /media/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    > /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom1 auto umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec
    > 0 0
    > /dev/cdrom2 /media/cdrom2 auto
    > umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0
    > /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto
    > umask=0022,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,exec,flush 0 0
    > /dev/hdd1 /mnt/backup ext3 umask=0 0 0
    > /dev/hdc1 /mnt/dos vfat umask=0 0 0
    > /dev/sda1 /mnt/win_c3 ntfs umask=0022,nls=utf8,ro 0 0
    > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > /dev/sda7 /usr ext3 relatime 1 2
    > /dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

    Go to the 'Boot' section in 'Configure your computer' (the Mandriva
    Control Centre, probably under 'System tools' in your main menu or go to a
    console or 'run program' prompt and run mcc). You will find that you can
    edit, remove, or add to, the options that your Linux boot loader offers.

    --
    -- Whiskers

+ Reply to Thread