Misidentified Joystick - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Misidentified Joystick - Mandriva ; Mandriva 2008.0 KDE 3.5 (.7?). Originally updated over 2007 Spring but when everything seemed b0rked I bit the bullet and did a clean install. I luuuurrrrvvvveeee 2008 :-). Moral of the story- always listen to Bit Twister and others experienced ...

  1. Misidentified Joystick

    Mandriva 2008.0 KDE 3.5 (.7?). Originally updated over 2007 Spring but
    when everything seemed b0rked I bit the bullet and did a clean install. I
    luuuurrrrvvvveeee 2008 :-). Moral of the story- always listen to Bit
    Twister and others experienced with Linux when they says a major update
    requires a fresh install.

    After three days of googling and tearing my hair out, I finally stumbled
    across a method of enabling gameport on my Ensoniq soundcard. I did a
    final reboot (not trusting my system to detect hardware just on logout-
    login :-)) and when I opened MCC, there was my joystick.

    Well almost.

    Instead of being correctly identified as a two-button, two-axis joystick,
    it seems that Mdv sees it as of the 2-axis 4-button variety. Trying to
    calibrate the thing isn't working as Mdv can't seem to detect all the
    movements I make.

    Could someone tell me what changes to make and in which configuration
    file in order to identify to my OS the correct kind of joystick?

  2. Re: Misidentified Joystick

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 20:19:14 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > Mandriva 2008.0 KDE 3.5 (.7?). Originally updated over 2007 Spring but
    > when everything seemed b0rked I bit the bullet and did a clean install.
    > I luuuurrrrvvvveeee 2008 :-). Moral of the story- always listen to Bit
    > Twister and others experienced with Linux when they says a major update
    > requires a fresh install.
    >
    > After three days of googling and tearing my hair out, I finally stumbled
    > across a method of enabling gameport on my Ensoniq soundcard. I did a
    > final reboot (not trusting my system to detect hardware just on logout-
    > login :-)) and when I opened MCC, there was my joystick.
    >
    > Well almost.
    >
    > Instead of being correctly identified as a two-button, two-axis
    > joystick, it seems that Mdv sees it as of the 2-axis 4-button variety.
    > Trying to calibrate the thing isn't working as Mdv can't seem to detect
    > all the movements I make.
    >
    > Could someone tell me what changes to make and in which configuration
    > file in order to identify to my OS the correct kind of joystick?

    And, in addition, I'm aware that in the file joystick.txt (within the
    linux source directory documents) it states that only 2-axis 4-button
    joysticks will be recognised.

    The thing is that my joystick was correctly identified when I finally got
    it running in Mandriva 2007. I am sure that I've done something wrong in
    some configuration file somewhere, but I've changed so many settings over
    the last few days I have no idea whatsoever where to look.

  3. Re: Misidentified Joystick

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:56:47 GMT, Aardvark wrote:

    > And, in addition, I'm aware that in the file joystick.txt (within the
    > linux source directory documents) it states that only 2-axis 4-button
    > joysticks will be recognised.

    Oh, no, pleae do not let my Mandriva 2007 or 2008 know that
    my Logitech Attack 3 usb 11 button joystick is working with all
    buttons when I play Flighgear.

    That joystick.txt reminds me. I remember playing around loading
    several joystick packages to findout what it was going to take to get
    my Attack working in a beta release 2007.

    I needed none of the packages, clean install of Official, clicked up
    KDE Control Center, Calibrated it and away I went.

    A bit of research in Flightgear docs, looked at several .xml files
    in /usr/share/games/FlightGear/data/Input/Joysticks and my
    attack-3.xml allows my buttons for working flaps and whatnot.

  4. Re: Misidentified Joystick

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:06:23 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > A bit of research in Flightgear docs, looked at several .xml files in
    > /usr/share/games/FlightGear/data/Input/Joysticks and my attack-3.xml
    > allows my buttons for working flaps and whatnot.

    That some kind of hint????:-)

    Apparently USB joysticks will be detected and work fine. It's the older
    joysticks connected to the gameport of an older soundcard that more
    modern OS's have trouble with. If I had a MIDI port/USB adapter for the
    damn thing it'd probably plug into one of my numerous USB ports and work
    with no problems.

    Thanks for the pointers BT :-).

  5. Re: Misidentified Joystick

    Aardvark wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:06:23 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> A bit of research in Flightgear docs, looked at several .xml files in
    >> /usr/share/games/FlightGear/data/Input/Joysticks and my attack-3.xml
    >> allows my buttons for working flaps and whatnot.

    > That some kind of hint????:-)
    >
    > Apparently USB joysticks will be detected and work fine. It's the older
    > joysticks connected to the gameport of an older soundcard that more
    > modern OS's have trouble with. If I had a MIDI port/USB adapter for the
    > damn thing it'd probably plug into one of my numerous USB ports and work
    > with no problems.
    >
    > Thanks for the pointers BT :-).

    There is a bit of discussion on the Web by the writer of the module - sorry,
    I can't think of his name - starts with P and ends with k. It may be out
    of date for USB joysticks, but should be appropriate for yours. I recall
    that it mentioned 4-button sticks. Have a look too at the kernel
    documentation - I have a feeling that it may be repeated there.

    BTW, now that there is no MIDI point, what do MIDI devices use?

    Doug.

  6. Re: Misidentified Joystick

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:40:43 +1100, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > BTW, now that there is no MIDI point, what do MIDI devices use?

    In my case, I'll never know, not having any MIDI devices in the first
    place :-)

+ Reply to Thread