OS installation-independent storage - Mandriva

This is a discussion on OS installation-independent storage - Mandriva ; Bittwister, some advice please. I'm setting up a partition along the lines of your /accounts/username scheme to keep my /home/username data across Mandriva installs. The sym links work for documents, spreadsheets etc that I've transferred, but I've a problem with ...

  1. OS installation-independent storage

    Bittwister, some advice please. I'm setting up a partition along the
    lines of your /accounts/username scheme to keep my /home/username data
    across Mandriva installs. The sym links work for documents, spreadsheets
    etc that I've transferred, but I've a problem with .thunderbird. The link:
    cd /home/graeme
    ln -s /accounts/graeme/.thunderbird .thunderbird
    resulted in an error message when restarting Thunderbird to the effect
    that it was already running.
    Attempts with the sym link to change "IsRelative=0" and provide a full
    path in /accounts/graeme/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    and
    without the sym link to change "IsRelative=0" and a full path in
    /home/graeme/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    both resulted in a similar message.
    What am I missing?
    TIA
    Grimble

  2. Re: OS installation-independent storage

    on Wednesday 14 November 2007 01:05 pm, grimble@nospamthanx.net (Grimble)
    wrote:

    > Bittwister, some advice please. I'm setting up a partition along the
    > lines of your /accounts/username scheme to keep my /home/username data
    > across Mandriva installs.

    I'm not Bittwister, but I'm curious as to why you don't just set up
    a partition / filesystem that contains /home. That way it will be
    preserved from release to release.

    > The sym links work for documents, spreadsheets etc that I've transferred,
    > but I've a problem with .thunderbird. The link:
    > cd /home/graeme
    > ln -s /accounts/graeme/.thunderbird .thunderbird
    > resulted in an error message when restarting Thunderbird to the effect
    > that it was already running.

    so, it was saying two instances of thunderbird? Interesting.

    ps auwx | grep thunderbird

    would tell you how many copies there are. I'm not a thunderbird user,
    but I assume that directory is where thunderbird stores all it's config
    stuff.

    > Attempts with the sym link to change "IsRelative=0" and provide a full
    > path in /accounts/graeme/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    > and without the sym link to change "IsRelative=0" and a full path in
    > /home/graeme/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    > both resulted in a similar message.
    > What am I missing?

    is there already a .thunderbird in /home/graeme?

    ls -a

    will show what's there (including all hidden files/directories)

    > TIA
    > Grimble

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

  3. Re: OS installation-independent storage

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:05:47 +0000, Grimble wrote:
    > Bittwister, some advice please. I'm setting up a partition along the
    > lines of your /accounts/username scheme to keep my /home/username data
    > across Mandriva installs.

    Well, three cheers for your side. :-D

    > The sym links work for documents, spreadsheets
    > etc that I've transferred, but I've a problem with .thunderbird. The link:
    > cd /home/graeme
    > ln -s /accounts/graeme/.thunderbird .thunderbird
    > resulted in an error message when restarting Thunderbird to the effect
    > that it was already running.

    How odd, I assume you checked that thunderbird is not running logged
    in as graeme. And

    $ ps aux | grep thunderbird-2.0.0.6/run-mozilla.sh |wc -l
    6

    shows you I have several thunderbirds watching several accounts.

    Several time I have been forced into a power reset and never, have I
    had your message so I do not believe thunderbird uses a file in it's
    directory to tell it that it is already running. I can be wrong.

    > Attempts with the sym link to change "IsRelative=0" and provide a full
    > path in /accounts/graeme/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    > and
    > without the sym link to change "IsRelative=0" and a full path in
    > /home/graeme/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    > both resulted in a similar message.

    YeeeOoouch. All I ever did was

    ln -s /accounts/$USER/.thunderbird .

    Nothing else. I didn't even link .fullcircle

    And you do NOT sym link variables (IsRelative=0)

    As for the profiles.ini

    $ cat /home/$USER/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
    [General]
    StartWithLastProfile=1

    [Profile0]
    Name=default
    IsRelative=1
    Path=vygwzfog.default

    [bittwister@wb ~]$

  4. Re: OS installation-independent storage

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:51:14 -0500, Jerry Heyman wrote:

    Well, I am Bittwister, but :-P

    > I'm not Bittwister, but I'm curious as to why you don't just set up
    > a partition / filesystem that contains /home. That way it will be
    > preserved from release to release.

    Yeeesssss, but, your desktop config file may not be downward
    compatiable with the new release.
    Same for other application config files.

    One of the benifits the setup is I can boot Kubuntu or Suse
    and their /home will not dinkup my Mandriava /home settings.
    Since I have thunderbird running from a separate partition
    I do not have to setup/change thunderbird settings if one
    of the installs happen to be running thunderbird 3.
    As I misunderstand it, 3 is going to databasize everything and if so
    I would not be able to boot a release/install running a thunderbird 2x
    I could be all wet and the databasizing is Firefox 3.
    Sorry, but you should get the idea.

    > is there already a .thunderbird in /home/graeme?

    You could not create the link if there was.

  5. Re: OS installation-independent storage

    Op woensdag 14-11-2007 om 21:35 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Bit
    Twister:

    > > I'm not Bittwister, but I'm curious as to why you don't just set up
    > > a partition / filesystem that contains /home. That way it will be
    > > preserved from release to release.

    And I'm curious as to why you don't suggest simply using an IMAP server
    and be done with it! :-)

    --
    Reinout van Schouwen
    http://vanschouwen.info/

  6. Re: OS installation-independent storage

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:34:16 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
    > Op woensdag 14-11-2007 om 21:35 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Bit
    > Twister:
    >
    >> > I'm not Bittwister, but I'm curious as to why you don't just set up
    >> > a partition / filesystem that contains /home. That way it will be
    >> > preserved from release to release.

    > And I'm curious as to why you don't suggest simply using an IMAP server
    > and be done with it! :-)

    Heheh, that solves the email storage problem, but would mean a
    separate system, or each distribution/release would have to have the
    IMAP server installed/setup/running.

  7. Re: OS installation-independent storage

    Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
    > Op woensdag 14-11-2007 om 21:35 uur [tijdzone +0000], schreef Bit
    > Twister:
    >
    >>> I'm not Bittwister, but I'm curious as to why you don't just set up
    >>> a partition / filesystem that contains /home. That way it will be
    >>> preserved from release to release.

    > And I'm curious as to why you don't suggest simply using an IMAP server
    > and be done with it! :-)

    I do use IMAP, because I access my mail from multiple computers. That is
    not the problem.
    I understood, from earlier posts in this forum, that many of the folders
    within $HOME, for example .kde, .gconf, .gnome cannot be relied on as
    being compatible between major releases. The intention is to isolate my
    files, email settings, browser settings etc from unknown compatibility
    problems. Who knows what all those .xxx files are used for?

  8. Re: OS installation-independent storage - SORTED

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:05:47 +0000, Grimble wrote:
    >> Bittwister, some advice please. I'm setting up a partition along the
    >> lines of your /accounts/username scheme to keep my /home/username data
    >> across Mandriva installs.

    > Well, three cheers for your side. :-D
    >
    > [bittwister@wb ~]$

    Sorted - ownership of the .thunderbird directory was still root, but
    Thunderbird was running under my user name.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread