Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone? - Mandriva ; I was thinking of purchasing one but the system requirements on the box lists WinXP service pack2. Is there anyone out there that has had no problems treating the mp3 player as a mere USB stick in linux or mandriva ...

  1. Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    I was thinking of purchasing one but the system requirements on the
    box lists WinXP service pack2. Is there anyone out there that has had
    no problems treating the mp3 player as a mere USB stick in linux or
    mandriva for music playing?

  2. Re: Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    hey there. i have a PMP (portable media player) from an unknown
    comany, and it works just great in mandriva. it sees the PMP as a USB
    drive on which file operations can be performed. it does not matter
    what the box says, if it uses the USB interface, the OS sees it as a
    memory device and can use it accordingly.
    hope this helps,
    cheers

  3. Re: Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:
    > I was thinking of purchasing one but the system requirements on the
    > box lists WinXP service pack2. Is there anyone out there that has had
    > no problems treating the mp3 player as a mere USB stick in linux or
    > mandriva for music playing?

    a friend of mine has an old win xp box and a zen, said emp loaded it
    with music before he installed the software in it, this leads me to
    beleave that the device just reads the mp3 files stored on the fat32
    filesystem in the flash memory, should work fine with linux, I have a
    yp55 and an ipod, and no windows.

  4. Re: Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 23:59:40 +0000, shaitaan.vokodlok@gmail.com wrote:

    > it does not matter
    > what the box says, if it uses the USB interface, the OS sees it as a
    > memory device and can use it accordingly.

    Sadly, this simply is not true.

  5. Re: Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    on Wednesday 14 November 2007 10:52
    shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    > I was thinking of purchasing one but the system requirements on the
    > box lists WinXP service pack2.

    The software supplied with the players probably does require Windows.
    It might be nothing more useful than a pretty data base to keep
    track of your song titles. Not something that you really need.

    > Is there anyone out there that has had
    > no problems treating the mp3 player as a mere USB stick in linux or
    > mandriva for music playing?

    I've used a couple of mp3 players with Mandriva. Just plug them
    in and start dragging files about.

    One potential pitfall is that in the USA they like to sell
    devices that do no behave as USB sticks, something to do with DRM?
    If any Americans would like to jump in and correct me...

    Even if you are in the USA you may be able to change the firmware
    on the mp3 player.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  6. Re: Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    Although some mp3 players act just like a flash drive, many of the
    Creative Zen players have to be run through a separate program. I
    have a Zen Touch and use a program called Gnomad. It should be on
    your Mandriva disk or at least in the repositories. I have heard that
    Audacity and Banshee have built in support for the Zen players but
    I've not tried them.

    On Nov 13, 6:52 pm, shed...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I was thinking of purchasing one but the system requirements on the
    > box lists WinXP service pack2. Is there anyone out there that has had
    > no problems treating the mp3 player as a mere USB stick in linux or
    > mandriva for music playing?

  7. Re: Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    shedied@gmail.com wrote:

    > I was thinking of purchasing one but the system requirements on the
    > box lists WinXP service pack2. Is there anyone out there that has had
    > no problems treating the mp3 player as a mere USB stick in linux or
    > mandriva for music playing?

    My youngster has a Sansa player

    It has two settings, I forget what they are called, for the USB. One is W***
    only. However, change it to the other setting and it works like a usb
    stick.......no problem with Linux.

    Have a look into the usb settings and try changing them. Also use google,
    that's how I found out about the usb settings before he bought the player.

    Stuart

  8. Re: Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    On Nov 15, 11:58 am, Stuart wrote:
    > shed...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I was thinking of purchasing one but the system requirements on the
    > > box lists WinXP service pack2. Is there anyone out there that has had
    > > no problems treating the mp3 player as a mere USB stick in linux or
    > > mandriva for music playing?

    > My youngster has a Sansa player
    >
    > It has two settings, I forget what they are called, for the USB. One is W***
    > only. However, change it to the other setting and it works like a usb
    > stick.......no problem with Linux.
    >
    > Have a look into the usb settings and try changing them. Also use google,
    > that's how I found out about the usb settings before he bought the player.

    Thanks for the input guys, I think I know what to get this holiday
    season...for myself =)

  9. Re: Mandriva with Creative Zen or Stone?

    On Nov 13, 6:52 pm, shed...@gmail.com wrote:
    > I was thinking of purchasing one but the system requirements on the
    > box lists WinXP service pack2. Is there anyone out there that has had
    > no problems treating the mp3 player as a mere USB stick in linux or
    > mandriva for music playing?

    I have a Creative Zen V Plus, which works fine with Amarok, but it
    uses the MTP protocol rather than standard usb stuff, so it doesn't
    appear as a usb stick. But there's no problem transferring mp3's
    between mandriva and the zen from within Amarok.

+ Reply to Thread