kernel-multimedia ?? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on kernel-multimedia ?? - Mandriva ; Hi... this is curious: mandriva 2008 cames with several flavours of kernel 2.6.22 in main repositori, but there is a kernel-multimedia 2.6.17 in contrib. do you know why is this? old kernel for multimedia? you see, i've been having problems ...

  1. kernel-multimedia ??

    Hi...

    this is curious:

    mandriva 2008 cames with several flavours of kernel 2.6.22 in main
    repositori, but there is a kernel-multimedia 2.6.17 in contrib.

    do you know why is this? old kernel for multimedia?

    you see, i've been having problems (not in mandriva) with analog video
    capture using kernels newer to 2.6.18, and now seeing this... what's going
    on?

    thanks
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Hi...
    >
    > this is curious:
    >
    > mandriva 2008 cames with several flavours of kernel 2.6.22 in main
    > repositori, but there is a kernel-multimedia 2.6.17 in contrib.
    >
    > do you know why is this? old kernel for multimedia?
    >
    > you see, i've been having problems (not in mandriva) with analog video
    > capture using kernels newer to 2.6.18, and now seeing this... what's going
    > on?

    Search for kernel-mm instead. I guess "multimedia" branch went out of
    business ... and reiser4 which was a part of it, isn't maintained any more.

  3. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > mandriva 2008 cames with several flavours of kernel 2.6.22 in main
    > repositori, but there is a kernel-multimedia 2.6.17 in contrib.
    >
    > do you know why is this? old kernel for multimedia?

    The multimedia kernels were tailored a bit to enhance multimedia. The
    most recent I have seen is -2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-5mdvsmp. The tmb
    kernels seem to have displaced the mm kernels, and I am uncertain if
    anyone is still working on them. 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-5mdvsmp was
    for 2007.1.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    Em Segunda, 12 de Novembro de 2007 00:22, Jim Beard escreveu:

    > The multimedia kernels were tailored a bit to enhance multimedia. The
    > most recent I have seen is -2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-5mdvsmp. The tmb
    > kernels seem to have displaced the mm kernels, and I am uncertain if
    > anyone is still working on them. 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-5mdvsmp was
    > for 2007.1.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    So, you don't think this is because kernels bigger than 2.6.18 have problems
    with multimedia devices, named v4l2 devices?

    Thanks
    ArameFarpado

  5. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    ArameFarpado wrote:
    > Em Segunda, 12 de Novembro de 2007 00:22, Jim Beard escreveu:
    >
    >> The multimedia kernels were tailored a bit to enhance multimedia. The
    >> most recent I have seen is -2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-5mdvsmp. The tmb
    >> kernels seem to have displaced the mm kernels, and I am uncertain if
    >> anyone is still working on them. 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-5mdvsmp was
    >> for 2007.1.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > So, you don't think this is because kernels bigger than 2.6.18 have problems
    > with multimedia devices, named v4l2 devices?

    I know nothing about "v412 devices," whatever they may be. Why would
    a kernel "bigger than 2.6.18" have problems with them?

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    Em Segunda, 12 de Novembro de 2007 01:25, Jim Beard escreveu:

    > I know nothing about "v412 devices," whatever they may be. Why would
    > a kernel "bigger than 2.6.18" have problems with them?
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    i have this card:

    01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
    Audio Decoder (rev 03)
    01:08.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio
    Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 03)

    and i can only work with it using kernels older than 2.6.19, otherwise, the
    card is detected and modules are loaded, programs even detect the card and
    try to work with it, but there is problems...

    xdtv only gives me sound, while kdetv only gives me video...
    running kernel 2.6.18 it works fine.

    regards
    ArameFarpado

  7. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    on Monday 12 November 2007 12:25
    Jim Beard wrote:

    [snip]
    > I know nothing about "v412 devices," whatever they may be.

    [snip]

    v4l2 is Video for Linux version 2.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  8. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    on Monday 12 November 2007 13:02
    ArameFarpado wrote:

    [snip]
    > i have this card:
    >
    > 01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
    > Audio Decoder (rev 03)
    > 01:08.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio
    > Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 03)

    I have a similar card, rev 05 not 03.

    > and i can only work with it using kernels older than 2.6.19, otherwise,
    > the card is detected and modules are loaded, programs even detect the card
    > and try to work with it, but there is problems...
    >
    > xdtv only gives me sound, while kdetv only gives me video...
    > running kernel 2.6.18 it works fine.

    Isn't that a digital only chip? Xdtv is an analogue only program
    isn't it? Do you have a hybrid analogue/digital TV card?

    The card works fine for me with M2008.0 and kernel 2.6.22, but then
    I'm only using Kaffeine and dvb-t.

    Try prowling around linuxtv.org.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  9. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Segunda, 12 de Novembro de 2007 01:25, Jim Beard escreveu:
    >
    >> I know nothing about "v412 devices," whatever they may be. Why would
    >> a kernel "bigger than 2.6.18" have problems with them?
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > i have this card:
    >
    > 01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
    > Audio Decoder (rev 03)
    > 01:08.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio
    > Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 03)
    >
    > and i can only work with it using kernels older than 2.6.19, otherwise,
    > the card is detected and modules are loaded, programs even detect the card
    > and try to work with it, but there is problems...
    >
    > xdtv only gives me sound, while kdetv only gives me video...
    > running kernel 2.6.18 it works fine.

    Hmm. I have a easyvdr install running just fine with 2.6.22-debian-etch
    kernel. However, that's a digital (dvb-s) device like that:
    00:12.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH Unknown device 000e
    Memory at f4101400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]

    Linux 2.6.22.9-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  10. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    Em Segunda, 12 de Novembro de 2007 06:46, Peter D. escreveu:

    > on Monday 12 November 2007 13:02
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> i have this card:
    >>
    >> 01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
    >> Audio Decoder (rev 03)
    >> 01:08.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio
    >> Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 03)

    > I have a similar card, rev 05 not 03.
    >
    >> and i can only work with it using kernels older than 2.6.19, otherwise,
    >> the card is detected and modules are loaded, programs even detect the
    >> card and try to work with it, but there is problems...
    >>
    >> xdtv only gives me sound, while kdetv only gives me video...
    >> running kernel 2.6.18 it works fine.

    > Isn't that a digital only chip?

    I really don't know... it has a AV analog IN (yellow RCA jack) and a TV
    Tunner. And it bypasses the sound to the soundcard.
    So, when recording a video, i capture the image stream from the conexant and
    the audio from my Sb-Live.
    I supose the Tunner is digital and the AV as a ADC converter, but not sure.

    > Xdtv is an analogue only program
    > isn't it? Do you have a hybrid analogue/digital TV card?

    How can i tell that?
    The only thing i can say is that the card was working fine until kernel
    2.6.19 came out, for several months i've been trying to solve this with no
    luck, and still have to reboot with a 2.6.18 kernel to work with it...
    looks like new cx88xx modules are busted.

    > The card works fine for me with M2008.0 and kernel 2.6.22, but then
    > I'm only using Kaffeine and dvb-t.

    kaffeine? how do you see tv with caffeine? i didn't even know it was able to
    do it.
    generaly, i can use tvtime or kdetv to watch, but when i want to record then
    i use xdtv. and never needed to try other progs.

    > Try prowling around linuxtv.org.

    i think i've allready been there, but no sure... i will do it

    thanks
    ArameFarpado

  11. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    Em Segunda, 12 de Novembro de 2007 23:27, Walter Mautner escreveu:

    > Hmm. I have a easyvdr install running just fine with 2.6.22-debian-etch
    > kernel. However, that's a digital (dvb-s) device like that:
    > 00:12.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
    > Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH Unknown device 000e
    > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    > Memory at f4101400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]

    what programs do you use?

    Thanks
    ArameFarpado

  12. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    on Wednesday 14 November 2007 06:38
    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Segunda, 12 de Novembro de 2007 06:46, Peter D. escreveu:
    >
    >> on Monday 12 November 2007 13:02
    >> in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >> ArameFarpado wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>> i have this card:
    >>>
    >>> 01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video
    >>> and Audio Decoder (rev 03)
    >>> 01:08.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and
    >>> Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 03)

    >> I have a similar card, rev 05 not 03.
    >>
    >>> and i can only work with it using kernels older than 2.6.19, otherwise,
    >>> the card is detected and modules are loaded, programs even detect the
    >>> card and try to work with it, but there is problems...
    >>>
    >>> xdtv only gives me sound, while kdetv only gives me video...
    >>> running kernel 2.6.18 it works fine.

    >> Isn't that a digital only chip?

    > I really don't know... it has a AV analog IN (yellow RCA jack) and a TV
    > Tunner. And it bypasses the sound to the soundcard.
    > So, when recording a video, i capture the image stream from the conexant
    > and the audio from my Sb-Live.
    > I supose the Tunner is digital and the AV as a ADC converter, but not
    > sure.

    OK, it is time to get pedantic.

    I have a PCI digital TV tuner card in my computer. It is a Kworld V-Stream
    Xpert. http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DV...I_Cards#KWorld

    My card has a Conexant chip on it. Many different cards have that type
    of chip on them. Some cards have a chip for DVB-T (Digital Video
    Broadcast - Terrestrial) AND a chip for "old fashioned" analogue TV.
    Those cards often have an "A/D" in their name, for Analogue and Digital.

    The Conexant chip does not have an RCA socket, it just has a lot of
    tiny little wires coming out of it. The card (or possibly the
    motherboard) has the sockets. The sockets are connected to the
    chip(s), possibly via some other components.

    What sort of TV tuner card (or motherboard) do you have? The manual
    should tell you what you want to know.

    Depending on where you live, both analogue and digital use the same
    type of connector and even the same antenna. I have a second A/D
    TV card that has a single socket for both analogue and digital.

    Are you in Portugal? I don't know where to find information
    about Portuguese TV - and if I did it would probably be in Portuguese.
    I *think* that Portugal's old analogue standard is (was?) PAL.
    Spain seems to be well into the change over to DVB-T, Portugal is
    probably doing the same.

    >> Xdtv is an analogue only program
    >> isn't it? Do you have a hybrid analogue/digital TV card?

    > How can i tell that?

    Read the manual.

    urpmq -i xdtv

    Name : xdtv
    Version : 2.3.3
    Release : 4mdv2007.0
    Group : Video
    Size : 4834499 Architecture: i586
    Source RPM : xdtv-2.3.3-4mdv2007.0.src.rpm Build Host: n5.mandriva.com
    Packager : Iurt the rebuild bot
    Description :
    XdTV is a software to watch, record & stream TV.
    It interacts with AleVT (Teletext) and Nxtvepg (NextView) & supports
    the bttv, bktr & dvb APIs. It contains some deinterlacing filters &
    ^^^
    I was wrong. Xdtv does know about digital TV.

    record video files with various containers (AVI, MPEG, OGG, etc.) &
    many codecs: FFMpeg >=0.4.6, XviD 0.9 & 1.x, DivX 4 & 5,
    Ogg Vorbis + Theora >=1.0a5.
    It has some plugin capabilities.

    I have just installed xdtv on the 2008.0 machine. When I ran "xdtv"
    at the command line it gave a lot of "ioctl VIDIOC_RQBUFS: Device or
    resource busy" lines.

    Kaffeine works for me on Mandriva 2007.0, 2007.1 and 2008.0.

    > The only thing i can say is that the card was working fine until kernel

    > 2.6.19 came out, for several months i've been trying to solve this with no
    > luck, and still have to reboot with a 2.6.18 kernel to work with it...
    > looks like new cx88xx modules are busted.

    Well there seems to be a disagreement between xdtv and the new kernel.

    >> The card works fine for me with M2008.0 and kernel 2.6.22, but then
    >> I'm only using Kaffeine and dvb-t.

    > kaffeine? how do you see tv with caffeine?

    With a "K". Lots of programs from the KDE environment have an artificial
    K in them, and lot of programs from the Gnome environment have an
    artificial "G" in them.

    > i didn't even know it was able
    > to do it.
    > generaly, i can use tvtime or kdetv to watch, but when i want to record
    > then i use xdtv. and never needed to try other progs.

    I use Kaffeine to watch, record and play back.

    Try "urpmi kaffeine" as root, and then "kaffeine" as a user.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  13. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Segunda, 12 de Novembro de 2007 23:27, Walter Mautner escreveu:
    >>>

    >> Hmm. I have a easyvdr install running just fine with 2.6.22-debian-etch
    >> kernel. However, that's a digital (dvb-s) device like that:
    >> 00:12.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
    >> Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH Unknown device 000e
    >> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    >> Memory at f4101400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    >>

    > what programs do you use?

    Well, it's a linux vdr distribution basically derived from debian-etch.
    Google for "easyvdr".
    In fact it is a digital sat receiver with harddisk recorder and network
    streaming/cd-dvd burning capabilities. Here working on a 1998-made PIII-500
    former slimline office pc (hp vectra). The board supports harddisks >137 GB
    and also does acpi-wakeup for programmed recordings. It has a small
    non-standard powersupply, works silently and with little power consumption.
    Within that distribution, there is some support for analogue tv cards as
    well, but analog tv will be phased out soon, all going to dvb-t (which is
    also supported with another tuner card).

    Linux 2.6.22.9-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  14. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    Em Quarta, 14 de Novembro de 2007 07:26, Peter D. escreveu:

    > What sort of TV tuner card (or motherboard) do you have? The manual
    > should tell you what you want to know.

    don't have it, it was a 2nd hand purchase

    ths card is hauppauge wintv with conexant chip

    > Are you in Portugal? I don't know where to find information
    > about Portuguese TV - and if I did it would probably be in Portuguese.
    > I *think* that Portugal's old analogue standard is (was?) PAL.
    > Spain seems to be well into the change over to DVB-T, Portugal is
    > probably doing the same.

    yeap, we have analog and digital TV, i have analog...

    i tought you are asking if my card handles the tv signal all in analog or if
    it convertes it to digital... i dont' know if just the tunner is digital
    like modern analog tvs.

    >>> Xdtv is an analogue only program
    >>> isn't it? Do you have a hybrid analogue/digital TV card?

    >> How can i tell that?

    > Read the manual.

    Don't have it.

    > XdTV is a software to watch, record & stream TV.
    > It interacts with AleVT (Teletext) and Nxtvepg (NextView) & supports
    > the bttv, bktr & dvb APIs. It contains some deinterlacing filters &
    > ^^^
    > I was wrong. Xdtv does know about digital TV.

    Ok

    > record video files with various containers (AVI, MPEG, OGG, etc.) &
    > many codecs: FFMpeg >=0.4.6, XviD 0.9 & 1.x, DivX 4 & 5,
    > Ogg Vorbis + Theora >=1.0a5.
    > It has some plugin capabilities.
    >
    > I have just installed xdtv on the 2008.0 machine. When I ran "xdtv"
    > at the command line it gave a lot of "ioctl VIDIOC_RQBUFS: Device or
    > resource busy" lines.

    exactly!
    this is the error i get when using kernels > 2.6.18:
    ioctl VIDIOC_STREAMON: Invalid argument
    ioctl VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Device or resource busy
    ioctl VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Device or resource busy
    ioctl VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Device or resource busy
    ioctl VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Device or resource busy
    and on forever...

    >>> I'm only using Kaffeine and dvb-t.

    >> kaffeine? how do you see tv with caffeine?

    > With a "K". Lots of programs from the KDE environment have an artificial
    > K in them, and lot of programs from the Gnome environment have an
    > artificial "G" in them.

    i believe you didn't understand...

    i do have kaffeine, it is my favorite media player for video files. i also
    know it can read DVD-video, CD-audio, VBR, and streams from URLs.
    what a can't put him to do is read from my AV/TV card, even after ativate
    the DVB client, it just can't read the card.
    i didn't even knew that kaffeine could read from cards like this.

    > I use Kaffeine to watch, record and play back.

    Yeah, i've notice that it has recording capabilites, but it doesn't read
    from my card.

    programs that can read my Tv card:
    tvtime, kdetv, xdtv, camstream, kopete (think it's a webcam, and the same
    with amsn), kooka (thinks it's a scanner, lol), canorama, dvr detects the
    card and crash just after that.
    now, the only program that is workin right with this kernel is tvtime, and i
    can't understand why... all others are busted, and tvtime doesn't record.

    by the way, i also have ieee1394 interfaces for digital video from
    handycams, and for those i use kino.

    thanks again
    ArameFarpado

  15. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Quarta, 14 de Novembro de 2007 07:26, Peter D. escreveu:
    >
    >> What sort of TV tuner card (or motherboard) do you have? The
    >> manual should tell you what you want to know.

    > don't have it, it was a 2nd hand purchase
    >
    > ths card is hauppauge wintv with conexant chip

    That narrows it down. Have a look at this page,
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...Cards#Hauppage

    There are lots of Hauppauge WinTV cards. Do you know if you have,
    a new WinTV-NOVA-T PCI or,
    a new WinTV-HVR-1300 or,
    a new WinTV-HVR-1100?
    All have Conexant CX2388x chips and can handle digital TV. Some
    support analogue as well.

    I think that Hauppauge PVR 250/350 and similar cards based on the
    Conexant cx23415/cx23416 chips are analogue only, but I am
    certainly not an expert on that.

    >> Are you in Portugal? I don't know where to find information
    >> about Portuguese TV - and if I did it would probably be in
    >> Portuguese. I *think* that Portugal's old analogue standard is
    >> (was?) PAL. Spain seems to be well into the change over to DVB-T,
    >> Portugal is probably doing the same.

    > yeap, we have analog and digital TV, i have analog...

    Do you mean that only analogue is broadcast near your home, or
    do you mean that you only have the equipment to receive analogue
    signals?

    > i tought you are asking if my card handles the tv signal all in
    > analog or if it convertes it to digital... i dont' know if just the
    > tunner is digital like modern analog tvs.

    >>> How can i tell that?

    >> Read the manual.

    > Don't have it.
    >
    >> XdTV is a software to watch, record & stream TV.
    >> It interacts with AleVT (Teletext) and Nxtvepg (NextView) &
    >> supports the bttv, bktr & dvb APIs. It contains some deinterlacing
    >> filters &
    >> ^^^
    >> I was wrong. Xdtv does know about digital TV.

    > Ok
    >
    >> record video files with various containers (AVI, MPEG, OGG, etc.) &
    >> many codecs: FFMpeg >=0.4.6, XviD 0.9 & 1.x, DivX 4 & 5,
    >> Ogg Vorbis + Theora >=1.0a5.
    >> It has some plugin capabilities.
    >>
    >> I have just installed xdtv on the 2008.0 machine. When I ran
    >> "xdtv" at the command line it gave a lot of "ioctl VIDIOC_RQBUFS:
    >> Device or resource busy" lines.

    > exactly!
    > this is the error i get when using kernels > 2.6.18:
    > ioctl VIDIOC_STREAMON: Invalid argument
    > ioctl VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Device or resource busy
    > ioctl VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Device or resource busy
    > ioctl VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Device or resource busy
    > ioctl VIDIOC_REQBUFS: Device or resource busy
    > and on forever...

    You could report a bug to Mandriva, although there is a chance
    that they will only pass the bug upstream to the xdtv and/or
    kernel teams.

    >>> kaffeine? how do you see tv with caffeine?

    >> With a "K". Lots of programs from the KDE environment have an
    >> artificial K in them, and lot of programs from the Gnome
    >> environment have an artificial "G" in them.

    > i believe you didn't understand...
    >
    > i do have kaffeine, it is my favorite media player for video files.
    > i also know it can read DVD-video, CD-audio, VBR, and streams from
    > URLs. what a can't put him to do is read from my AV/TV card, even
    > after ativate
    > the DVB client, it just can't read the card.
    > i didn't even knew that kaffeine could read from cards like this.

    I'm still not certain what type of card you have.

    >> I use Kaffeine to watch, record and play back.

    > Yeah, i've notice that it has recording capabilites, but it doesn't
    > read from my card.

    What happens if you type, "modprobe -v cx88_dvb", as root?

    > programs that can read my Tv card:
    > tvtime, kdetv, xdtv, camstream, kopete (think it's a webcam, and the
    > same with amsn), kooka (thinks it's a scanner, lol), canorama, dvr
    > detects the card and crash just after that.
    > now, the only program that is workin right with this kernel is
    > tvtime, and i can't understand why... all others are busted, and
    > tvtime doesn't record.

    I don't know any of those well enough to know what they don't do.

    > by the way, i also have ieee1394 interfaces for digital video from
    > handycams, and for those i use kino.

    On the TV tuner card?

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  16. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    Em Segunda, 19 de Novembro de 2007 04:15, Peter D. escreveu:

    Hi, thank you for trying to help me

    >> ths card is hauppauge wintv with conexant chip

    > That narrows it down. Have a look at this page,
    > http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...Cards#Hauppage
    > There are lots of Hauppauge WinTV cards. Do you know if you have,
    > a new WinTV-NOVA-T PCI or,
    > a new WinTV-HVR-1300 or,
    > a new WinTV-HVR-1100?
    > All have Conexant CX2388x chips and can handle digital TV. Some
    > support analogue as well.

    Sorry, i only see "hauppauge wintv"

    this is the info from lshw:

    *-multimedia:0
    product: CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder
    vendor: Conexant
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@0000:01:08.0
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: vpd pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=cx8800 latency=32 maxlatency=55
    mingnt=20 module=cx8800
    *-multimedia:1
    product: CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio
    Port]
    vendor: Conexant
    physical id: 8.1
    bus info: pci@0000:01:08.1
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: vpd pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=cx88_audio latency=32 maxlatency=255
    mingnt=4 module=cx88_alsa

    this card does not have IR receiver for remote control.

    > I think that Hauppauge PVR 250/350 and similar cards based on the
    > Conexant cx23415/cx23416 chips are analogue only, but I am
    > certainly not an expert on that.

    That's allright, it makes two of us

    >>> Are you in Portugal? I don't know where to find information
    >>> about Portuguese TV - and if I did it would probably be in
    >>> Portuguese. I *think* that Portugal's old analogue standard is
    >>> (was?) PAL. Spain seems to be well into the change over to DVB-T,
    >>> Portugal is probably doing the same.

    >> yeap, we have analog and digital TV, i have analog...

    > Do you mean that only analogue is broadcast near your home, or
    > do you mean that you only have the equipment to receive analogue
    > signals?

    I have cable TV, but don't have the necessary digital receivers for the
    encrypted channels.
    non-ecrypted channels are coming in analog mode, and those are the ones i
    have.
    yes, i only have analog equipement...

    > You could report a bug to Mandriva, although there is a chance
    > that they will only pass the bug upstream to the xdtv and/or
    > kernel teams.

    this is not a mandriva problem, cause i'm having this problem in debian too.

    >>> I use Kaffeine to watch, record and play back.

    >> Yeah, i've notice that it has recording capabilites, but it doesn't
    >> read from my card.

    > What happens if you type, "modprobe -v cx88_dvb", as root?

    # modprobe -v cx88_dvb
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/video-buf-dvb.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx8802.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-vp3054-i2c.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
    FATAL: Error inserting cx88_dvb
    (/lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko): No
    such device

    looks like my card doesn't suport DVB...

    there is a lot of DVB stuff in kernel configuration, and i don't remember if
    i ever tryied removing all suport for DVB...
    i will try that as soon as i can and report the results then.

    >> programs that can read my Tv card:
    >> tvtime, kdetv, xdtv, camstream, kopete (think it's a webcam, and the
    >> same with amsn), kooka (thinks it's a scanner, lol), canorama, dvr
    >> detects the card and crash just after that.
    >> now, the only program that is workin right with this kernel is
    >> tvtime, and i can't understand why... all others are busted, and
    >> tvtime doesn't record.

    > I don't know any of those well enough to know what they don't do.

    no problem.

    i also find two other programs that work just like xdtv:
    xawtv and motv are respondind like xdtv (ok in kernel 2.6.18 and busted with
    newer kernels), so this is not a xdtv problem at all and a kernel problem.

    >> by the way, i also have ieee1394 interfaces for digital video from
    >> handycams, and for those i use kino.

    > On the TV tuner card?

    no, on handycams... but this is another /dev... forget this one

    thanks again
    ArameFarpado

  17. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    Em Segunda, 19 de Novembro de 2007 22:07, ArameFarpado escreveu:

    > there is a lot of DVB stuff in kernel configuration, and i don't remember
    > if i ever tryied removing all suport for DVB...
    > i will try that as soon as i can and report the results then.

    negative results... didn't change nothing

  18. Re: xdtv solved. Was: kernel-multimedia ??

    For anybody out there, having problems with xdtv and kernels newer that
    2.6.18, the new xdtv version 2.4.1cvs3 adapts the program to the new
    kernels.

    xawtv and motv have the same problem, and for those i don't know if there is
    correction allready.

    for now, i can only found this new version in source code:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=67268

    download and compile version 2.4.1cvs3

    thanks to you guys that tryied to help
    ArameFarpado

  19. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    on Tuesday 20 November 2007 09:07
    ArameFarpado wrote:

    > Em Segunda, 19 de Novembro de 2007 04:15, Peter D. escreveu:
    >
    > Hi, thank you for trying to help me

    That is OK.

    I've seen your other post, and I'm glad that your problem is
    solved, but I have some more comments anyway.

    [snip]
    > this is the info from lshw:

    [snip]
    > *-multimedia:1
    > product: CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio
    > Port]
    > vendor: Conexant
    > physical id: 8.1
    > bus info: pci@0000:01:08.1
    > version: 03
    > width: 32 bits
    > clock: 33MHz
    > capabilities: vpd pm bus_master cap_list
    > configuration: driver=cx88_audio latency=32 maxlatency=255
    > mingnt=4 module=cx88_alsa

    The output on my computer is similar. "Audio Port" becomes "MPEG Port",
    the ID changes from 8.1 to 8.2 and the module is cx8802 not cx88_alsa.

    > this card does not have IR receiver for remote control.

    Maybe there was one once.

    [snip]
    >> Do you mean that only analogue is broadcast near your home, or
    >> do you mean that you only have the equipment to receive analogue
    >> signals?

    > I have cable TV,

    [snip]

    CABLE TV! I was assuming transmission through the air. It was
    a poor assumption.

    If you find anything useful at the linuxtv.org site it will be
    under dvb-c not dvb-t. They are different cards.

    http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_PCI_Cards

    If it is a purely analogue card it should be under v4l,

    http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Main_Page

    [snip]
    >> You could report a bug to Mandriva, although there is a chance
    >> that they will only pass the bug upstream to the xdtv and/or
    >> kernel teams.

    > this is not a mandriva problem, cause i'm having this problem in debian
    > too.

    You could complain to both, and ask in debian news groups as well.

    It would probably have been more sensible to complain to the kernel
    developers and Xdtv developers, but the Xdtv people seem to have
    beaten you to it.

    >>> Yeah, i've notice that it has recording capabilites, but it doesn't
    >>> read from my card.

    >> What happens if you type, "modprobe -v cx88_dvb", as root?

    > # modprobe -v cx88_dvb
    > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko
    > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/video-buf-dvb.ko
    > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx8802.ko
    > insmod
    > /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-vp3054-i2c.ko
    > insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
    > FATAL: Error inserting cx88_dvb
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko): No
    > such device

    It didn't like that.

    > looks like my card doesn't suport DVB...
    >
    > there is a lot of DVB stuff in kernel configuration, and i don't remember
    > if i ever tryied removing all suport for DVB...
    > i will try that as soon as i can and report the results then.
    >

    >>> programs that can read my Tv card:
    >>> tvtime, kdetv, xdtv, camstream, kopete (think it's a webcam, and the
    >>> same with amsn), kooka (thinks it's a scanner, lol), canorama, dvr
    >>> detects the card and crash just after that.
    >>> now, the only program that is workin right with this kernel is
    >>> tvtime, and i can't understand why... all others are busted, and
    >>> tvtime doesn't record.

    >> I don't know any of those well enough to know what they don't do.

    > no problem.

    I suspect that Kaffeine only likes digital cards and yours is
    analogue - but I am not sure.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  20. Re: kernel-multimedia ??

    Em Quinta, 22 de Novembro de 2007 02:42, Peter D. escreveu:

    > I've seen your other post, and I'm glad that your problem is
    > solved, but I have some more comments anyway.

    OK

    > The output on my computer is similar. "Audio Port" becomes "MPEG Port",
    > the ID changes from 8.1 to 8.2 and the module is cx8802 not cx88_alsa.

    cx88_alsa it the module that puts the audio part to work. the main module is
    cx88xx.

    >> this card does not have IR receiver for remote control.

    > Maybe there was one once.

    No, there is no IR receiver and no were to connect one.

    4 connections only:
    --2 audio stereo jacks, one "in" from VHS and other "out " that is connected
    to the line-in of the SB by a short jack cable.
    --1 RF analog coaxial entry (TV)
    --1 Composite entry (yellow RCA)

    >> I have cable TV,

    > [snip]
    >
    > CABLE TV! I was assuming transmission through the air. It was
    > a poor assumption.

    Yes, analog cable TV... TV's are tunned like if they are connected to normal
    air antennas. in the same cable there are encryped channels in digital
    form, but i don't purchase any one of those.

    > If you find anything useful at the linuxtv.org site it will be
    > under dvb-c not dvb-t. They are different cards.
    > http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_PCI_Cards

    Yes, i did saw that, but the tunner of my card doesn't have DVB...
    i guess this is a old card. it doesn't matter much as i only need it really
    to capture from VHS tapes or Video8 handycams, so i really need just the
    composite entry. The TV Tunner part is just a toy to me.

    > If it is a purely analogue card it should be under v4l,
    > http://linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Main_Page

    Actually, it appears classified under v4l2 in my system.

    >> this is not a mandriva problem, cause i'm having this problem in debian
    >> too.

    > You could complain to both, and ask in debian news groups as well.
    >
    > It would probably have been more sensible to complain to the kernel
    > developers and Xdtv developers, but the Xdtv people seem to have
    > beaten you to it.

    ironic, one of the xdtv developers had present me with the solution before,
    but at the time i didn't realize the guy that was talking (by mail) to me
    was a developer, and i didn't pay much atention to him, because the
    solution was to wierd and i was convinced that the problem was in kernel,
    even more knowing that xawtv and motv wore sufering from the same problem.
    imagine how amaizing i was reading xdtv webpage and seen the guy name in the
    developers team... "hey this is the guy... ****, where did i put is
    mails??"

    >>> What happens if you type, "modprobe -v cx88_dvb", as root?

    >> # modprobe -v cx88_dvb
    >> insmod
    >> /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko
    >> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/video-buf-dvb.ko
    >> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx8802.ko
    >> insmod
    >> /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-vp3054-i2c.ko
    >> insmod /lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
    >> FATAL: Error inserting cx88_dvb
    >> (/lib/modules/2.6.23.1/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko): No
    >> such device

    > It didn't like that.

    yeah, i've checked removind the car from the slot. no DVB printed in the
    tunner, my card doesn't do DVB at all.

    > I suspect that Kaffeine only likes digital cards and yours is
    > analogue - but I am not sure.

    From what i could find, kaffeine needs DVB.

    Best regards
    ArameFarpado