Problem switching to 2nd user - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Problem switching to 2nd user - Mandriva ; Am playing around with the 'One' version of 2008.0 on an external drive (awaiting delivery of boxed PowerPack, when they eventually get round to processing my order...), and have come across a problem with a 2nd user. Now, I have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Problem switching to 2nd user

    Am playing around with the 'One' version of 2008.0 on an
    external drive (awaiting delivery of boxed PowerPack, when they
    eventually get round to processing my order...), and have come
    across a problem with a 2nd user.

    Now, I have always used Linux (SuSE 9.0 Pro, Mandriva 2007.0) as
    a single user, but this time I tried adding a 2nd user.

    No problem adding 2nd user (in MCC), but 2 problems arise:

    (1) When booting 2008.0, whereas with only 1 user it would
    prompt for Username & Password, now it does no such thing (when
    I expected it to present 2 user choices) - it just goes straight
    into the No.1 user's session - without asking for password.

    (2) If I then try to switch to a new session with User No.2, the
    screen blanks, the drive activity light flickers for a while,
    then NOTHING for minutes on end, and I have to power down to get
    out. Tried 3 times. This is not very encouraging...

    Anyone else had problems in this area?

    --
    Maurice

  2. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    P.S. No problem switching to 2nd user on 2007.0.

    --
    Maurice

  3. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Anyone else had problems in this area?

    Yes.
    I'm using 2008 pwp and I could not log out and log in as another user.
    Screen went black and I had to do the Alt+SysRq and R+E+S+B-thing.
    I checked the logs and there was something about the X server.
    To complicated for me to solve so now I don't start X at boot time.
    I can now switch users (from the command prompt) without the problems with a
    crashing machine.

    I did not have this problem with 2007.

  4. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > Am playing around with the 'One' version of 2008.0 on an
    > external drive (awaiting delivery of boxed PowerPack, when they
    > eventually get round to processing my order...), and have come
    > across a problem with a 2nd user.
    >
    > Now, I have always used Linux (SuSE 9.0 Pro, Mandriva 2007.0) as
    > a single user, but this time I tried adding a 2nd user.
    >
    > No problem adding 2nd user (in MCC), but 2 problems arise:
    >
    > (1) When booting 2008.0, whereas with only 1 user it would
    > prompt for Username & Password, now it does no such thing (when
    > I expected it to present 2 user choices) - it just goes straight
    > into the No.1 user's session - without asking for password.
    >
    > (2) If I then try to switch to a new session with User No.2, the
    > screen blanks, the drive activity light flickers for a while,
    > then NOTHING for minutes on end, and I have to power down to get
    > out. Tried 3 times. This is not very encouraging...
    >
    > Anyone else had problems in this area?

    There's a configuration option for logging in as a user
    automaticly, and bypassing the user/password prompt screen. It
    sounds like this got turned on. It's one of the last questions
    during the installation dialog, and you might have answered that
    you wanted this behavior. It's also possible that the 'One'
    version is somehow different, and has this as the default.

    MCC has a section where you can change this behavior, at least
    with PowerPack and Free editions.

    Good luck....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  5. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 19:30:23 +0100, Iordani wrote:

    > I'm using 2008 pwp and I could not log out and log in as another user.

    OK - so that makes 2 of us who cannot switch users.

    Has anyone here been able to define extra users and switch to
    them?

    (In the meantime I have looged this as an 'incident'
    (No.101242) on the Mandriva site.)

    --
    Maurice

  6. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 18:33:09 +0000, I wrote:

    > awaiting delivery of boxed PowerPack, when they
    > eventually get round to processing my order.

    Just had email from Mandriva.com saying that delivery is
    taking longer than expected, and mine will be actioned 'next
    week' (perhaps meaning week of Nov.12th, i.e. 2 weeks after
    placing order).

    --
    Maurice

  7. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:57:38 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > OK - so that makes 2 of us who cannot switch users.
    >
    > Has anyone here been able to define extra users and switch to
    > them?

    No problem on Free install, used mcc to add a user for your test request.

    $ cat /etc/release
    All updates installed.

    Using Free cd install, I am able to log out/in different users at run
    level 3 and 5. I have also used Ctl+F2, Ctl+F8, Ctl+F7 to
    login/toggle between users.

    I also did not add users in the normal manner.

    I pull their records from passwd, shadow, group, gshadow from the Old install.
    and use cat (filehere) >> (targetfile) to append them to the New install files.

    junk account is created during install and as root I append the above files,
    cd /home, copy /etc/skel to /bittwister, chown -R bittwister files/dirs. Then
    login as bittwister.

  8. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:26:49 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > There's a configuration option for logging in as a user
    > automaticly, and bypassing the user/password prompt screen. It
    > sounds like this got turned on.

    .. Autologon was not requested during installation.
    However, after adding 2nd user, something (not I) did turn it
    on, so have now turned it off again.

    So now when booting 2008.0, I can select which user to login,
    but still any attempt to switch berween users freezes the system.

    I had been hoping to migrate my SO from WinXP to Mandriva (as
    User 2) to avoid having to re-boot into WinXP when she wants to
    use the PC, but with this 2008.0 user switch problem we're no
    better off than when dual-booting between WinXP amd Mandriva.

    --
    Maurice

  9. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:40:06 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > used mcc to add a user for your test request.

    > I also did not add users in the normal manner.

    Am puzzled! Why add users 'not in the normal manner' if you
    can do it via MCC?

    --
    Maurice

  10. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:59:36 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > I had been hoping to migrate my SO from WinXP to Mandriva (as
    > User 2) to avoid having to re-boot into WinXP when she wants to
    > use the PC, but with this 2008.0 user switch problem we're no
    > better off than when dual-booting between WinXP amd Mandriva.

    I am confused, you can not switch between WinXP and Mandriva unless
    you reboot.

    Only other option is using wine or crossover to run WinXP apps or
    install winxp under one of the VM managers.

  11. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:05:31 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Am puzzled! Why add users 'not in the normal manner' if you
    > can do it via MCC?

    I alwasy do a clean install, never an upgrade.
    I have a separate partition (/accounts) where the user accounts are stored.
    That allows me to run them from any release I chose to boot and use
    the user login/files.

    Currently I have 24 user accounts. Example:
    $ grep usenet /etc/passwd
    usenet:x:1517:1517:Usenet:/accounts/usenet:/bin/bash

    Just after install, I can mount the restore media at /rst and do a
    cat /rst/local/config/group_1500 >> /etc/group
    cat /rst/local/config/gshadow_1500 >> /etc/gshadow
    cat /rst/local/config/passwd_1500 >> /etc/passwd
    cat /rst/local/config/shadow_1500 >> /etc/shadow
    and 24 user accounts are ready for login.

    Using MCC, I would have to define where the home directory is, change
    default UID and GID for each one entered. That is Way too much work via MCC.

    User ID starts at 1500 because I also install other distros (Fedora,
    ubuntu, kbuntu, Suse,... and their UIDs start at different values.

    /home cannot be shared between distros/releases because of different release
    level of the desktop manager.

  12. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:22:09 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > you can not switch between WinXP and Mandriva unless
    > you reboot.

    Precisely - but because of the 2008.0 problem preventing us
    switching between users, that's also the only way to get from
    one to the other within 2008.0, i.e. re-boot.

    --
    Maurice

  13. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:54:45 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

    > Precisely - but because of the 2008.0 problem preventing us
    > switching between users, that's also the only way to get from
    > one to the other within 2008.0, i.e. re-boot.

    Well, I can only suggest that a clean install of the
    mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso
    should work for you, as it does for me, assuming a good sum check of download
    and a Verify after burn.

  14. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > I had been hoping to migrate my SO from WinXP to Mandriva (as
    > User 2) to avoid having to re-boot into WinXP when she wants to
    > use the PC, but with this 2008.0 user switch problem we're no
    > better off than when dual-booting between WinXP amd Mandriva.

    Rats. With 2007.0, and as far back as 7.0, my wife and I have
    been sharing the computer, both logged in at the same time, but
    on separate screens.

    Have you tried letting one of you log in on the graphical startup
    screen, then the other switch to a virtual terminal, e.g.
    ctrl-alt-f1, login in console mode, then run 'startx'? When
    window managers weren't as nice about being able to start a 2nd
    screen, that's the way I used to get two logins.

    Good luck....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  15. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 19:30:23 +0100, Iordani wrote:
    >
    > > I'm using 2008 pwp and I could not log out and log in as another user.

    > OK - so that makes 2 of us who cannot switch users.
    >
    > Has anyone here been able to define extra users and switch to
    > them?
    >
    > (In the meantime I have looged this as an 'incident'
    > (No.101242) on the Mandriva site.)

    Is this only an issue with the "One" edition, or does it apply to
    either or both "PowerPack" and "Free"?

    Thanks....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  16. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:30:54 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Is this only an issue with the "One" edition, or does it apply to
    > either or both "PowerPack" and "Free"?

    Well, earlier in her 'lordani' said he had the same problem
    with PowerPack. I'm using the 'One' CD.

    --
    Maurice

  17. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:29:47 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:

    > Have you tried letting one of you log in on the graphical startup
    > screen,

    Actually, I have made some progress with this.

    The problem occurs if - having logged in as user1 - I then try
    to either 'Lock current and start new session' or just 'Start
    new session', using the Switch option of the K menu.

    However, I have now found that if - having logged in as user1 -
    I then immediately select the 'End session' option of logout,
    then login as user2, I can then - as user2 - Switch to (start) a
    new session (user1), AND from then on I can switch between the 2
    users with Ctl+Alt+ F7/8.

    So I can achieve switching between users, but only after the
    tortuous login/logout of user1 in the first place.

    Oddball bug...

    --
    Maurice

  18. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:59:59 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Well, I can only suggest that a clean install of the
    > mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso
    > should work for you, as it does for me,

    Well, I'm awaiting delivery of PowerPack...

    > assuming a good sum check of download and a Verify after burn.

    With 'One', although the sum check was OK, I did overlook the
    wisdom of doing verify after burn...
    However, someone else in here also has the same problem
    (but with PowerPack), and it seems unlikely we both had a burn
    error affecting exactly the same function.

    --
    Maurice

  19. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    Maurice Batey wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:29:47 +0000, Kevin the Drummer wrote:
    >
    > > Have you tried letting one of you log in on the graphical startup
    > > screen,

    > Actually, I have made some progress with this.
    >
    > The problem occurs if - having logged in as user1 - I then try
    > to either 'Lock current and start new session' or just 'Start
    > new session', using the Switch option of the K menu.
    >
    > However, I have now found that if - having logged in as user1 -
    > I then immediately select the 'End session' option of logout,
    > then login as user2, I can then - as user2 - Switch to (start) a
    > new session (user1), AND from then on I can switch between the 2
    > users with Ctl+Alt+ F7/8.
    >
    > So I can achieve switching between users, but only after the
    > tortuous login/logout of user1 in the first place.
    >
    > Oddball bug...

    Indeed.

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.

  20. Re: Problem switching to 2nd user

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:51:34 +0000, I wrote:

    > earlier in her 'lordani' said he had the same problem
    > with PowerPack. I'm using the 'One' CD.

    Having now installed PowerPack (on USB drive), I find the
    problem is still there, dammit. In fact it's even worse, in that
    if I even just try to logout 'end current session' the machine
    locks uo with blank screen, as before when trying to switch
    users.

    However, I've just tried 2 users on the 2008.0 'One' I had
    installed (dual boot with Vista) on my laptop, and found that it
    works perfectly!

    This therefore suggests that mutliple users on a 2008.0
    installed on a *USB* drive does not work.

    Before I report this as a bug, has anyone else (lordani?) come
    across this problem with 2008.0 on a USB drive, and has anyone
    any suggestion as to any other possible explanation?

    --
    Maurice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast