Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size - Mandriva ; All: I am having problems with KDE from Mandriva Linux 2008. While I can change the screen resolution on my TNT Riva Video Card to 1280x960, I cannot change the screen size in configuring KDE from 1024x768. Anyone know why ...

  1. Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size

    All:
    I am having problems with KDE from Mandriva Linux 2008. While I can change the screen resolution on
    my TNT Riva Video Card to 1280x960, I cannot change the screen size in configuring KDE from 1024x768.
    Anyone know why this is happening? Thank you.

    Keith

  2. Re: Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:48:59 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:

    > All:
    > I am having problems with KDE from Mandriva Linux 2008. While I can
    > change the screen resolution on
    > my TNT Riva Video Card to 1280x960, I cannot change the screen size in
    > configuring KDE from 1024x768. Anyone know why this is happening? Thank
    > you.
    >
    > Keith

    All:
    I found that my problem seems to be KDE 3.5.7. I changed the x server to start TNT Riva2 card with a
    1280x960 resolution. I also changed the bootloader to load up in graphical mode in 1280x960 resolution. All
    that worked great. It's just that KDE 3.5.7 cannot change to any screen resolution above 1028x768. Any
    suggestions?

    Keith

  3. Re: Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:52:34 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:

    > All:
    > I found that my problem seems to be KDE 3.5.7. I changed the x server to start TNT Riva2 card with a
    > 1280x960 resolution. I also changed the bootloader to load up in graphical mode in 1280x960 resolution. All
    > that worked great. It's just that KDE 3.5.7 cannot change to any screen resolution above 1028x768. Any
    > suggestions?

    Usuall problem of not being able to switch to higher resolution is
    video card memory. Reducing color depth may allow higher resolutions.

    You might be able to run 1024x768 at Depth 24 but not at 1280x1024.
    You might be able to run 1280x1024 at Depth 15, but not at Depth 16.

  4. Re: Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:52:34 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:

    > I found that my problem seems to be KDE 3.5.7.

    It's actually your line wrap settings.

  5. Re: Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size

    Bit Twister wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:52:34 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:
    >>
    >> All:
    >> I found that my problem seems to be KDE 3.5.7. I changed the x server to start TNT Riva2 card with a
    >> 1280x960 resolution. I also changed the bootloader to load up in graphical mode in 1280x960 resolution. All
    >> that worked great. It's just that KDE 3.5.7 cannot change to any screen resolution above 1028x768. Any
    >> suggestions?

    >Usuall problem of not being able to switch to higher resolution is
    >video card memory. Reducing color depth may allow higher resolutions.
    >
    >You might be able to run 1024x768 at Depth 24 but not at 1280x1024.
    >You might be able to run 1280x1024 at Depth 15, but not at Depth 16.

    Which, by the way, is a good reason to use the Mandriva Control Center
    rather than the KDE Control Center to change the video settings, because
    the latter can't do that.

    Usually, if functions are duplicated in the two control centers, then
    Mandriva's is better.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  6. Re: Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:25:34 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:52:34 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:
    >>
    >> All:
    >> I found that my problem seems to be KDE 3.5.7. I changed the x server
    >> to start TNT Riva2 card with a
    >> 1280x960 resolution. I also changed the bootloader to load up in
    >> graphical mode in 1280x960 resolution. All that worked great. It's
    >> just that KDE 3.5.7 cannot change to any screen resolution above
    >> 1028x768. Any suggestions?

    > Usual problem of not being able to switch to higher resolution is video
    > card memory. Reducing color depth may allow higher resolutions.
    >
    > You might be able to run 1024x768 at Depth 24 but not at 1280x1024. You
    > might be able to run 1280x1024 at Depth 15, but not at Depth 16.

    BT:
    Thanks but that didn't do it. I changed the refresh rate down to 60 HZ and
    that helped a bit. I will try some other things before I give up and get a new
    video card. Any recommendations on a good 3D video card for Linux 2008?

    Keith

  7. Re: Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:09:01 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 17:25:34 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:52:34 -0500, Keith Lee wrote:
    >>>
    >>> All:
    >>> I found that my problem seems to be KDE 3.5.7. I changed the x
    >>> server to start TNT Riva2 card with a
    >>> 1280x960 resolution. I also changed the bootloader to load up in
    >>> graphical mode in 1280x960 resolution. All that worked great. It's
    >>> just that KDE 3.5.7 cannot change to any screen resolution above
    >>> 1028x768. Any suggestions?

    >> Usual problem of not being able to switch to higher resolution is video
    >> card memory. Reducing color depth may allow higher resolutions.
    >>
    >> You might be able to run 1024x768 at Depth 24 but not at 1280x1024. You
    >> might be able to run 1280x1024 at Depth 15, but not at Depth 16.

    > BT:
    > Thanks but that didn't do it. I changed the refresh rate down to 60 HZ
    > and
    > that helped a bit. I will try some other things before I give up and
    > get a new video card. Any recommendations on a good 3D video card for
    > Linux 2008?

    Is 1280x960 included in the Screen > Display section of your
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? It is a widescreen resolution so you might need to
    add it manually. TNT2 supports it.

  8. Re: Mandriva 2008 KDE problem -- cannot change screen size

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 21:09:01 -0400, Keith Lee wrote:

    > Thanks but that didn't do it. I changed the refresh rate down to 60 HZ and
    > that helped a bit. I will try some other things before I give up and get a new
    > video card. Any recommendations on a good 3D video card for Linux 2008?

    Changing the refresh rate, will have no affect on the video card's need
    for on board ram. It only affects the current going from the card, to
    the monitor, which must be within the montitor's specs.

    The two factors that will impact the need for onboard video ram are the
    resolution (number of pixels), and color depth (number of bits per pixel).

    Cutting down the number of bits per pixel (color depth), may allow you to
    specify a higher resolution.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins