Re: newbie install problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: newbie install problem - Mandriva ; On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:58:51 -0400, tony h wrote: > never used any linux before, but quite competant with xp. > downloaded mandriva 2008 one Mandriva one, is intended to learn linux, but is too incomplete for a proper ...

  1. Re: newbie install problem

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:58:51 -0400, tony h wrote:

    > never used any linux before, but quite competant with xp.
    > downloaded mandriva 2008 one

    Mandriva one, is intended to learn linux, but is too incomplete
    for a proper full install. Sounds like you may also have a bad spot
    on the optical media.

    I'd sugest downloading the free dvd iso, and using that to
    install.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  2. Re: newbie install problem

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:21:18 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:58:51 -0400, tony h wrote:
    >
    >> never used any linux before, but quite competant with xp.
    >> downloaded mandriva 2008 one

    > Mandriva one, is intended to learn linux, but is too incomplete
    > for a proper full install.

    That depends what you want or need to do. Most of the essentials for most
    people most of the time are already there.

    > Sounds like you may also have a bad spot
    > on the optical media.

    I've had days like that.

    > I'd sugest downloading the free dvd iso, and using that to
    > install.

    Or use the One CD and just add everything you want from the repositories
    afterwards. It comes to downloading the same stuff anyway, but quite
    possibly less of it. Unless one actually uses every bit of code on the
    DVD....

  3. Re: newbie install problem

    On 16 Oct 2007 13:43:09 +0200, Mark South wrote:

    > Or use the One CD and just add everything you want from the repositories
    > afterwards.

    I tried just doing an update on a 2007 One install and it failed for me.
    2008 could be different.

  4. Re: newbie install problem

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:51:04 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On 16 Oct 2007 13:43:09 +0200, Mark South wrote:
    >>
    >> Or use the One CD and just add everything you want from the repositories
    >> afterwards.

    > I tried just doing an update on a 2007 One install and it failed for me.
    > 2008 could be different.

    Well, I only installed 2008 two days back on a spare machine, and there
    has only been one automatic update cycle so far. I also installed a bunch
    of stuff from the repositories and that worked fine as well.

    On the down side, I must have missed the bit in the install routine where
    it offered the option to install the bootloader in the partition root, and
    had my MBR overwritten just as if I'd installed XP. So I finally got to
    make use of my copy of Super Grub Disc....

  5. Re: newbie install problem

    thanks for the advice, d/loaded dvd version and installed ok.
    now i have to work out what to do with it...

    T.

+ Reply to Thread