Re: New RAM slowed hda access: Why? SOLVED! - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: New RAM slowed hda access: Why? SOLVED! - Mandriva ; ray wrote: > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:53:25 +0000, Adam wrote: >> Yesterday I replaced the 128M that had come with the system with another >> 1G ("Kingston, 1 GB DDR, PC 3200" -- Circuit City had it on ...

  1. Re: New RAM slowed hda access: Why? SOLVED!

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:53:25 +0000, Adam wrote:
    >> Yesterday I replaced the 128M that had come with the system with another
    >> 1G ("Kingston, 1 GB DDR, PC 3200" -- Circuit City had it on sale for $50
    >> US), and suddenly access to extended partitions hda5 (another distro),
    >> hda6 (Mandriva /home), hda7 (all Mandriva 2007 except /home and swap),
    >> and hda8 (another distro) suddenly slowed to a crawl, like taking 20
    >> minutes just to get to runlevel 3's login screen.

    > Just out of curiosity - did you try the new 1gb alone and with the 128?

    Thanks very much, Ray, for asking that, because it led me to a solution!

    I not only tried the new 1GB alone and with the 128MB, but I also tried
    every other possible combination of 128M, old 1G, new 1G, or empty
    socket, for each of the two slots. It turned out that any configuration
    that included the 128M would run at approximately normal speed, but any
    configuration withOUT that 128M DIMM ran at a crawl.

    But why would the presence of that 128M make any difference? Then it
    hit me: the 128M was PC2100 RAM (133 MHz), and both 1Gs were PC3200 (200
    MHz). The 128M forced the memory timing, or something, to go more
    slowly. I figured there was a BIOS (AMI BIOS btw) setting to adjust
    this, and after some trial and error, I found it. "Auto Detect DIMM/PCI
    Clk" ("When this item is enabled, BIOS will disable the clock signal of
    free DIMM/PCI slots") was set by default to "enabled." I set it to
    "disabled," and suddenly it was booting at normal speed with both 1Gs!
    I was even able to increase the memory bus speed from 100 MHz to 133 MHz.

    [adam@ozymandias ~]$ free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 2043312 593300 1450012 0 19500 257660
    -/+ buffers/cache: 316140 1727172
    Swap: 2096440 0 2096440

    So that's the problem and how I solved it, for the record.

    Adam

  2. Re: New RAM slowed hda access: Why? SOLVED - CORRECTION

    Adam wrote:
    > I figured there was a BIOS (AMI BIOS btw) setting to adjust
    > this, and after some trial and error, I found it. "Auto Detect DIMM/PCI
    > Clk" ("When this item is enabled, BIOS will disable the clock signal of
    > free DIMM/PCI slots") was set by default to "enabled." I set it to
    > "disabled," and suddenly it was booting at normal speed with both 1Gs!

    It turned out it wasn't that setting at all. It was the "Share Memory
    Size" on the same BIOS screen. This motherboard has integrated video,
    so a portion of regular RAM is used as video RAM. Choices are
    8/16/32/64 MB. When set to 8 or 16, system runs very slowly as
    previously described. When set to 32 or 64, system runs at about normal
    speed. I don't know WHY. My only guess is that maybe with less video
    RAM, the system is swapping video RAM out to disk. (Ugh!) If anyone
    has a better idea than that, I'd like to hear it. However, as the
    system's back to, as far as I can tell, normal speed, I'm not going to
    spend a lot of time on this. I still have a printer to hook up and
    other things to do. :-)

    Adam

  3. Re: New RAM slowed hda access: Why? SOLVED - CORRECTION

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 02:43:41 +0000, Adam wrote:

    > Adam wrote:
    >> I figured there was a BIOS (AMI BIOS btw) setting to adjust
    >> this, and after some trial and error, I found it. "Auto Detect DIMM/PCI
    >> Clk" ("When this item is enabled, BIOS will disable the clock signal of
    >> free DIMM/PCI slots") was set by default to "enabled." I set it to
    >> "disabled," and suddenly it was booting at normal speed with both 1Gs!

    > It turned out it wasn't that setting at all. It was the "Share Memory
    > Size" on the same BIOS screen. This motherboard has integrated video,
    > so a portion of regular RAM is used as video RAM. Choices are
    > 8/16/32/64 MB. When set to 8 or 16, system runs very slowly as
    > previously described. When set to 32 or 64, system runs at about normal
    > speed. I don't know WHY. My only guess is that maybe with less video
    > RAM, the system is swapping video RAM out to disk. (Ugh!) If anyone
    > has a better idea than that, I'd like to hear it. However, as the
    > system's back to, as far as I can tell, normal speed, I'm not going to
    > spend a lot of time on this. I still have a printer to hook up and
    > other things to do. :-)
    >
    > Adam

    Glad you were able to resolve it. It does sound a little mysterious.

+ Reply to Thread