Re: newbie install problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Re: newbie install problem - Mandriva ; ....checksum ok so not a bad download, burn verified by nero 8....

  1. Re: newbie install problem

    ....checksum ok so not a bad download, burn verified by nero 8.

  2. Re: newbie install problem

    on Tuesday 16 October 2007 08:16
    tony h wrote:

    > ...checksum ok so not a bad download, burn verified by nero 8.

    Assuming that what you wrote is as far as you got...

    Backup you Windows system.
    Configure your BIOS to boot from the optical drive.
    Insert disc.
    Reboot.

    If you want to be really good, read the documentation before you start.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: newbie install problem

    "Peter D." wrote in message
    > on Tuesday 16 October 2007 08:16
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > tony h wrote:
    >
    >> ...checksum ok so not a bad download, burn verified by nero 8.

    > Assuming that what you wrote is as far as you got...
    >
    > Backup you Windows system.
    > Configure your BIOS to boot from the optical drive.
    > Insert disc.
    > Reboot.
    >
    > If you want to be really good, read the documentation before you start.
    >

    > --
    > sig goes here...
    > Peter D.

    cheers, peter.
    did all that, important files backed up, boot from optical. mandriva loads
    graphical screen to f1 help, f3 options (screen res) load mandriva. have to
    load the o/s to run the live install from the linux desktop, this fails
    after 1/3 with no error messages, just a very long pause (3/4hour or more).
    docs suggest i'm doing nothing wrong, but DMA on hdd may be an issue??

  4. Re: newbie install problem

    on Tuesday 16 October 2007 17:34
    tony h wrote:

    > "Peter D." wrote in message
    >> on Tuesday 16 October 2007 08:16
    >> in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >> tony h wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...checksum ok so not a bad download, burn verified by nero 8.

    >> Assuming that what you wrote is as far as you got...
    >>
    >> Backup you Windows system.
    >> Configure your BIOS to boot from the optical drive.
    >> Insert disc.
    >> Reboot.
    >>
    >> If you want to be really good, read the documentation before you start.
    >>

    >> --
    >> sig goes here...
    >> Peter D.

    > cheers, peter.
    > did all that, important files backed up, boot from optical. mandriva loads
    > graphical screen to f1 help, f3 options (screen res) load mandriva. have
    > to load the o/s to run the live install from the linux desktop,

    Are you are using the Mandriva One live CD version 2008.0? I have not
    tried it.

    Even if the ISO file has a good checksum it is possible for
    the CD to be bad. It is possible, but difficult, to check the
    md5sum of a burnt CD. It is easier to burn another CD. If that
    fails in the same way, we can't blame the physical CD.

    > this fails
    > after 1/3 with no error messages,

    What fails? Booting the OS, or while trying to install after the
    OS boots.

    Depending on what failed and how, there might be log files that
    will give you a clue, or even the complete answer. If the
    failure was during booting you might get a clue by holding
    down CTL and ALT then tapping the F1, F2, keys etc.

    We don't have enough information here.

    > just a very long pause (3/4hour or
    > more). docs suggest i'm doing nothing wrong, but DMA on hdd may be an
    > issue??

    If dma is a problem it should only be slowing things down, not
    stopping them.

    It is entirely possible that you have done nothing wrong.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

+ Reply to Thread