ati card - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ati card - Mandriva ; just downloaded and installed 2008, okay this thing is pretty only prob i seem to be having is the only options i have for resolution is either 800x600 or 640x480 according to the kde control center.. in the MCC it ...

  1. ati card

    just downloaded and installed 2008, okay this thing is pretty
    only prob i seem to be having is the only options i have for resolution is
    either 800x600 or 640x480 according to the kde control center.. in the MCC
    it shows i'm running 1024x768 which obviously i'm not.... I installed via
    the livecd route if that makes any difference.
    this is the same video card i've run since mandrake 10 through mandriva 2007
    one spring with no probs.. any help would be appreciated
    thanks..
    Reg

  2. Re: ati card

    on Sunday 14 October 2007 14:07
    Reg wrote:

    > just downloaded and installed 2008, okay this thing is pretty
    > only prob i seem to be having is the only options i have for resolution is
    > either 800x600 or 640x480 according to the kde control center.. in the MCC
    > it shows i'm running 1024x768 which obviously i'm not.... I installed via
    > the livecd route if that makes any difference.
    > this is the same video card i've run since mandrake 10 through mandriva
    > 2007 one spring with no probs.. any help would be appreciated
    > thanks..
    > Reg

    The video card might be being mis-detected. Try running XFdrake
    and manually selecting the card.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: ati card

    Peter D. wrote:

    > on Sunday 14 October 2007 14:07
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Reg wrote:
    >
    >> just downloaded and installed 2008, okay this thing is pretty
    >> only prob i seem to be having is the only options i have for resolution
    >> is either 800x600 or 640x480 according to the kde control center.. in the
    >> MCC it shows i'm running 1024x768 which obviously i'm not.... I installed
    >> via the livecd route if that makes any difference.
    >> this is the same video card i've run since mandrake 10 through mandriva
    >> 2007 one spring with no probs.. any help would be appreciated
    >> thanks..
    >> Reg

    > The video card might be being mis-detected. Try running XFdrake
    > and manually selecting the card.

    okay did that...same thing's happening... finally downloaded the dvd and did
    a fresh install..same thing..sheesh!
    okay enough of that...stole the nvidia gforce3 card from my son's
    computer, okay now i get 1024X768 but says 3d effects are not supported.
    never had a prob before with either card in mandriva?
    I'm thinking of upgrading the vid card, which to me defeats the purpose of
    a "free" OS.
    bottom line, i'll keep chasing the prob..in the meantime have 2007 spring
    purring along perfectly on another hard drive.
    What vid cards are others using that work out of the box?

  4. Re: ati card

    Reg wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >
    >> on Sunday 14 October 2007 14:07
    >> in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >> Reg wrote:
    >>
    >>> just downloaded and installed 2008, okay this thing is pretty
    >>> only prob i seem to be having is the only options i have for resolution
    >>> is either 800x600 or 640x480 according to the kde control center.. in
    >>> the MCC it shows i'm running 1024x768 which obviously i'm not.... I
    >>> installed via the livecd route if that makes any difference.
    >>> this is the same video card i've run since mandrake 10 through mandriva
    >>> 2007 one spring with no probs.. any help would be appreciated
    >>> thanks..
    >>> Reg

    >> The video card might be being mis-detected. Try running XFdrake
    >> and manually selecting the card.
    >>

    > okay did that...same thing's happening... finally downloaded the dvd and
    > did a fresh install..same thing..sheesh!
    > okay enough of that...stole the nvidia gforce3 card from my son's
    > computer, okay now i get 1024X768 but says 3d effects are not
    > supported.

    check in mandriva control center and see if compiz is turned on. if it is
    turn it off and then log out and back in. that may help.

    > never had a prob before with either card in mandriva?
    > I'm thinking of upgrading the vid card, which to me defeats the purpose of
    > a "free" OS.
    > bottom line, i'll keep chasing the prob..in the meantime have 2007 spring
    > purring along perfectly on another hard drive.
    > What vid cards are others using that work out of the box?

    mine works great out of the box. its an ati 1950xtx with 512 megs of ram.
    --
    Love is all u need.

  5. Re: ati card

    patrickdarcy wrote:

    > Reg wrote:
    >
    >> Peter D. wrote:
    >>
    >>> on Sunday 14 October 2007 14:07
    >>> in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva

    >>> The video card might be being mis-detected. Try running XFdrake
    >>> and manually selecting the card.
    >>>

    >> okay did that...same thing's happening... finally downloaded the dvd and
    >> did a fresh install..same thing..sheesh!
    >> okay enough of that...stole the nvidia gforce3 card from my son's
    >> computer, okay now i get 1024X768 but says 3d effects are not
    >> supported.

    > check in mandriva control center and see if compiz is turned on. if it is
    > turn it off and then log out and back in. that may help.
    >
    >> never had a prob before with either card in mandriva?
    >> I'm thinking of upgrading the vid card, which to me defeats the purpose
    >> of a "free" OS.
    >> bottom line, i'll keep chasing the prob..in the meantime have 2007 spring
    >> purring along perfectly on another hard drive.
    >> What vid cards are others using that work out of the box?

    > mine works great out of the box. its an ati 1950xtx with 512 megs of ram.

    okay i'll give that a shot...kinda frustrating cuz i REALLY like 2008..
    love maybe all i need..but i'll take your vid card..lol

  6. Re: ati card

    Reg wrote:

    > patrickdarcy wrote:
    >
    >> Reg wrote:

    >>> okay did that...same thing's happening... finally downloaded the dvd and
    >>> did a fresh install..same thing..sheesh!
    >>> okay enough of that...stole the nvidia gforce3 card from my son's
    >>> computer, okay now i get 1024X768 but says 3d effects are not
    >>> supported.

    >> check in mandriva control center and see if compiz is turned on. if it is
    >> turn it off and then log out and back in. that may help.
    >>
    >>> never had a prob before with either card in mandriva?
    >>> I'm thinking of upgrading the vid card, which to me defeats the purpose
    >>> of a "free" OS.
    >>> bottom line, i'll keep chasing the prob..in the meantime have 2007
    >>> spring purring along perfectly on another hard drive.
    >>> What vid cards are others using that work out of the box?

    >> mine works great out of the box. its an ati 1950xtx with 512 megs of ram.

    > okay i'll give that a shot...kinda frustrating cuz i REALLY like 2008..
    > love maybe all i need..but i'll take your vid card..lol

    final update...switched from an agp to a pci card..both ATI, both use same
    drivers...and now it works...now THIS is why i drink
    thanks to all who replied

  7. Re: ati card

    on Wednesday 17 October 2007 16:35
    Reg wrote:

    [snip]
    > final update...switched from an agp to a pci card..both ATI, both use same
    > drivers...and now it works...now THIS is why i drink
    > thanks to all who replied

    It looks like you have found a bug in 2008.0, especially since that
    card worked with an older OS. Can you be bothered going to the
    trouble of reporting it to ? It might get
    fixed anyway by 2008.1, but you increase your chances if you make
    sure that they know about it. ;-)

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.