2008 install fails to mount SATA drive - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008 install fails to mount SATA drive - Mandriva ; Using a ASUS A7V8X (32 bit), upgraded from 2007->2008. Afterfinishing install, on reboot the boot snags failing to mount the sda1 ext3 partition previously made, and swapon fails on the partition on the same drive. mount complains /dev/sda1 already mounted ...

  1. 2008 install fails to mount SATA drive

    Using a ASUS A7V8X (32 bit), upgraded from 2007->2008. Afterfinishing
    install, on reboot the boot snags failing to mount the sda1 ext3
    partition previously made, and swapon fails on the partition on the
    same drive. mount complains /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt/linux3
    (the designated mount point) busy. Yet this is from a boot; nothing
    has been done at the time of the boot 2007 had no problem with this
    drive. After using an old ubutu live disk to boot I was able to edit
    out the sata drive entries in fstab, but this still leaves me with no
    access to this drive. Attempts to use mount and unmount in various
    sequences have not been successful. What could be the problem here?

  2. Re: 2008 install fails to mount SATA drive

    buryspamhere@gmail.com wrote:

    > Using a ASUS A7V8X (32 bit), upgraded from 2007->2008. Afterfinishing
    > install, on reboot the boot snags failing to mount the sda1 ext3
    > partition previously made, and swapon fails on the partition on the
    > same drive. mount complains /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt/linux3
    > (the designated mount point) busy. Yet this is from a boot; nothing
    > has been done at the time of the boot 2007 had no problem with this
    > drive. After using an old ubutu live disk to boot I was able to edit
    > out the sata drive entries in fstab, but this still leaves me with no
    > access to this drive. Attempts to use mount and unmount in various
    > sequences have not been successful. What could be the problem here?

    I had a similar problem this weekend. I had successfully installed 2008.0
    onto my sda drive and wanted to boot under knoppix and copy chunks of my
    original $HOME directory to the new drive. The trouble was, it
    couldn't 'see' drive sdb. I opened the box and unpluggeed the lead from the
    motherboard and plugged it to a different sata socket. Thus time all was
    well. I don't know if that helps.

    Regards

    Alan

  3. Re: 2008 install fails to mount SATA drive

    On Oct 15, 10:29 am, Alan Secker wrote:
    > buryspamh...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Using a ASUS A7V8X (32 bit), upgraded from 2007->2008. Afterfinishing
    > > install, on reboot the boot snags failing to mount the sda1 ext3
    > > partition previously made, and swapon fails on the partition on the
    > > same drive. mount complains /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt/linux3
    > > (the designated mount point) busy. Yet this is from a boot; nothing
    > > has been done at the time of the boot 2007 had no problem with this
    > > drive. After using an old ubutu live disk to boot I was able to edit
    > > out the sata drive entries in fstab, but this still leaves me with no
    > > access to this drive. Attempts to use mount and unmount in various
    > > sequences have not been successful. What could be the problem here?

    > I had a similar problem this weekend. I had successfully installed 2008.0
    > onto my sda drive and wanted to boot under knoppix and copy chunks of my
    > original $HOME directory to the new drive. The trouble was, it
    > couldn't 'see' drive sdb. I opened the box and unpluggeed the lead from the
    > motherboard and plugged it to a different sata socket. Thus time all was
    > well. I don't know if that helps.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Alan

    Well, it was working under 2007 so I think it's some conflict among
    drivers, but perhaps I'll give it a shot when I get home from work.
    Thanks for responding

  4. Re: 2008 install fails to mount SATA drive

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:23:30 -0700, buryspamhere@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 10:29 am, Alan Secker wrote:
    >> buryspamh...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Using a ASUS A7V8X (32 bit), upgraded from 2007->2008. Afterfinishing
    >> > install, on reboot the boot snags failing to mount the sda1 ext3
    >> > partition previously made, and swapon fails on the partition on the
    >> > same drive. mount complains /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt/linux3
    >> > (the designated mount point) busy. Yet this is from a boot; nothing
    >> > has been done at the time of the boot 2007 had no problem with this
    >> > drive. After using an old ubutu live disk to boot I was able to edit
    >> > out the sata drive entries in fstab, but this still leaves me with no
    >> > access to this drive. Attempts to use mount and unmount in various
    >> > sequences have not been successful. What could be the problem here?

    >> I had a similar problem this weekend. I had successfully installed
    >> 2008.0 onto my sda drive and wanted to boot under knoppix and copy
    >> chunks of my original $HOME directory to the new drive. The trouble
    >> was, it couldn't 'see' drive sdb. I opened the box and unpluggeed the
    >> lead from the motherboard and plugged it to a different sata socket.
    >> Thus time all was well. I don't know if that helps.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Alan

    > Well, it was working under 2007 so I think it's some conflict among
    > drivers, but perhaps I'll give it a shot when I get home from work.
    > Thanks for responding

    i, too have SATA problems. 2008.0 in either 32 or 64 bit flavors stops
    booting with an error reading the partition table on sda1. This seemed
    to be an intermittent error, since i was able to install both 32 and 64
    bit versions, and tweak them up. The failure is occurring on a dual boot
    configuration after i set up grub in a dual boot configuration. i have
    2008 by itself on a a small, slow HD. i will try booting with that now.

  5. Re: 2008 install fails to mount SATA drive

    Chris Mallam wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:23:30 -0700, buryspamhere@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> I had a similar problem this weekend. I had successfully installed
    >>> 2008.0 onto my sda drive and wanted to boot under knoppix and copy
    >>> chunks of my original $HOME directory to the new drive. The trouble
    >>> was, it couldn't 'see' drive sdb. I opened the box and unpluggeed the
    >>> lead from the motherboard and plugged it to a different sata socket.
    >>> Thus time all was well. I don't know if that helps.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Alan

    >> Well, it was working under 2007 so I think it's some conflict among
    >> drivers, but perhaps I'll give it a shot when I get home from work.
    >> Thanks for responding

    > i, too have SATA problems. 2008.0 in either 32 or 64 bit flavors stops
    > booting with an error reading the partition table on sda1. This seemed
    > to be an intermittent error, since i was able to install both 32 and 64
    > bit versions, and tweak them up. The failure is occurring on a dual boot
    > configuration after i set up grub in a dual boot configuration. i have
    > 2008 by itself on a a small, slow HD. i will try booting with that now.

    I had a similar problem the way I fixed mine was before you reboot if
    you are using two discs you need to change which disc or HD you are
    booting off. Work for me, pity I did not read everything before I rebooted

+ Reply to Thread