ktorrent badly broken? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ktorrent badly broken? - Mandriva ; I am having immense trouble with ktorrent on mandriva 2007.0 I am trying to download 2008.0 and each time, it claims it is downloaded, and each time it fails the md5 sum. I then rerun ktorrent, and it tells me ...

  1. ktorrent badly broken?

    I am having immense trouble with ktorrent on mandriva 2007.0 I am trying to
    download 2008.0 and each time, it claims it is downloaded, and each time it
    fails the md5 sum. I then rerun ktorrent, and it tells me that a bunch of
    chunks at the beginning and the end of the file are not complete or not
    loaded, and reloads them, and then I go through the same roundabout again.
    Now I suppose it could be that that hard disk is going, but I have seen
    absolutely no other evidence of that. Is ktorrent known to be dead on
    2007.0?

  2. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:40:32 GMT, Bill Unruh
    wrote:

    >I am having immense trouble with ktorrent on mandriva 2007.0 I am trying to
    >download 2008.0 and each time, it claims it is downloaded, and each time it
    >fails the md5 sum. I then rerun ktorrent, and it tells me that a bunch of

    Try install Bittorrent.. I always have problem with Ktorrent on
    2007.0.

  3. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    Bill Unruh writes:

    >I am having immense trouble with ktorrent on mandriva 2007.0 I am trying to
    >download 2008.0 and each time, it claims it is downloaded, and each time it
    >fails the md5 sum. I then rerun ktorrent, and it tells me that a bunch of
    >chunks at the beginning and the end of the file are not complete or not
    >loaded, and reloads them, and then I go through the same roundabout again.
    >Now I suppose it could be that that hard disk is going, but I have seen
    >absolutely no other evidence of that. Is ktorrent known to be dead on
    >2007.0?

    OK, worse and worse. I did it on another 2007.0 machine and still I get
    about 1900 chunks bad, and if I do it again still bad.
    And when I did bittorrent-curses it again said everything was finished but
    the md5 sum failed. I went to a 2007.1 machine and it found 5 chunks bad in
    the bittorrent downloaded file. This is absurd. I thought bittorrent was
    supposed to chech that the chuncks downloaded really were the right ones.
    Has someone found some way of poisoning bittorrent to deliver bad chuncks?

  4. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    Bill Unruh wrote:

    > I am having immense trouble with ktorrent on mandriva 2007.0 I am trying
    > to download 2008.0 and each time, it claims it is downloaded, and each
    > time it fails the md5 sum. I then rerun ktorrent, and it tells me that a
    > bunch of chunks at the beginning and the end of the file are not complete
    > or not loaded, and reloads them, and then I go through the same roundabout
    > again. Now I suppose it could be that that hard disk is going, but I have
    > seen absolutely no other evidence of that. Is ktorrent known to be dead on
    > 2007.0?

    Ktorrent is crap, use bittorrent
    Rich
    --
    "You can lead them to LINUX
    but you can't make them THINK"

  5. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    Rich writes:

    >Bill Unruh wrote:

    >> I am having immense trouble with ktorrent on mandriva 2007.0 I am trying
    >> to download 2008.0 and each time, it claims it is downloaded, and each
    >> time it fails the md5 sum. I then rerun ktorrent, and it tells me that a
    >> bunch of chunks at the beginning and the end of the file are not complete
    >> or not loaded, and reloads them, and then I go through the same roundabout
    >> again. Now I suppose it could be that that hard disk is going, but I have
    >> seen absolutely no other evidence of that. Is ktorrent known to be dead on
    >> 2007.0?

    >Ktorrent is crap, use bittorrent

    2 items. 1) Since ktorrent on Mandriva 2007.0 was in contrib, the updates
    are also in contrib, which I never used. In the updates, ktorrent is
    upgraded to 2.1.2 instead of 2.0.2 in the original 2007.0

    2) When ktorrent messed up my system, I used bittorrent to "fix " it (Ie I
    run bittorrent with the destination being the already downloded file.)
    after much cogitation, bittorrent downloaded the missing 10% of the file,
    and claimed it was done. The resultant iso still did not pass the md5sum
    test. Ie, bittorrent on 2007.0 also seems to be broken.
    I then ran ktorrent2.1.2 on that iso, and it said there were 5 defective
    chunks. It downloaded those and finally the iso passed the md5 test. Ie,
    bittorrent under 2007.0 also seems to be broken-- not as badly as ktorrent
    2.0.2, but broken non-the-less.

    >Rich
    >--
    >"You can lead them to LINUX
    >but you can't make them THINK"

  6. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    Bill Unruh wrote:

    > I thought bittorrent
    > was supposed to chech that the chuncks downloaded really were the right
    > ones. Has someone found some way of poisoning bittorrent to deliver bad
    > chuncks?

    Dunno''bout that, but where there is an ill will an ill effect sure does
    appear right quick, doesn't it? (Mind well the Blowback Factor, of
    course.) Might be s black hat or two hangin' 'round the Cult of the Dead
    Cow or similar Googl-y ilk with bad ideas like that in mind, in or nearing
    proof-of-concept 'sploit status; I just don't play in those daggy spaces.
    (The time to play so just comes from where?)

    Less speculatively: El Reg published an article on 22nd August 2007
    regarding how Comcast was, at time of writeup, evidently degrading and
    blocking BT access for its own broadband customers on the usual pack of
    flimsies and opaques.

    See
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...torrent_users/

    for all the lurids... If there's time, one might want to search the site
    for plain ol' "Comcast" too. Sure made things plain to YT, who for
    non-avoidable reasons subscribes thereunto.

    Anyway: Hope you get/got her working nice and smooth. Since I (for one)
    make out just fine with FTP/HTTP downloading at near-512K speeds on a
    regular basis (neither of which Comcast throttles, of course), one must
    ask: Is BT of any flavor at all your only viable means of download?
    --
    Cordially,

    C. Walking Turtle Mann
    ComPDQ Silicon Salvage
    "We Linux the Best
    And Outgrade the Rest."

  7. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    on Monday 15 October 2007 08:45
    Unruh wrote:

    > Rich writes:
    >
    >>Bill Unruh wrote:

    >>> I am having immense trouble with ktorrent on mandriva 2007.0 I am trying
    >>> to download 2008.0 and each time, it claims it is downloaded, and each
    >>> time it fails the md5 sum. I then rerun ktorrent, and it tells me that a
    >>> bunch of chunks at the beginning and the end of the file are not
    >>> complete or not loaded, and reloads them, and then I go through the same
    >>> roundabout again. Now I suppose it could be that that hard disk is
    >>> going, but I have seen absolutely no other evidence of that. Is ktorrent
    >>> known to be dead on 2007.0?

    >>Ktorrent is crap, use bittorrent

    > 2 items. 1) Since ktorrent on Mandriva 2007.0 was in contrib, the updates
    > are also in contrib, which I never used. In the updates, ktorrent is
    > upgraded to 2.1.2 instead of 2.0.2 in the original 2007.0

    Opps, I hadn't twigged to that. mirror.pacific.net.au is not a
    *complete* mirror. :-(

    > 2) When ktorrent messed up my system, I used bittorrent to "fix " it (Ie I
    > run bittorrent with the destination being the already downloded file.)
    > after much cogitation, bittorrent downloaded the missing 10% of the file,
    > and claimed it was done. The resultant iso still did not pass the md5sum
    > test. Ie, bittorrent on 2007.0 also seems to be broken.
    > I then ran ktorrent2.1.2 on that iso, and it said there were 5 defective
    > chunks. It downloaded those and finally the iso passed the md5 test. Ie,
    > bittorrent under 2007.0 also seems to be broken-- not as badly as ktorrent
    > 2.0.2, but broken non-the-less.

    I did get successful md5sums and sha1sums on the three CD set of
    Mandriva 2008.0 using ktorrent 2.0.2 on Mandriva 2007.0.

    Another method for fixing a broken or incomplete torrent is to use
    rsync.

    Personally I've only had mediocre success with bittorrent clients,
    but then I'm a long way from the center of the swarm.

    At this stage of the release you can probably do better with
    wget from a local mirror rather than starting a new bittorrent
    download.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  8. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    "Peter D." writes:

    >on Monday 15 October 2007 08:45
    >in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >Unruh wrote:

    >> Rich writes:

    >>>Ktorrent is crap, use bittorrent

    >> 2 items. 1) Since ktorrent on Mandriva 2007.0 was in contrib, the updates
    >> are also in contrib, which I never used. In the updates, ktorrent is
    >> upgraded to 2.1.2 instead of 2.0.2 in the original 2007.0

    >Opps, I hadn't twigged to that. mirror.pacific.net.au is not a
    >*complete* mirror. :-(

    I have not found any mirror which contains contrib under updates. (
    official/updates/2007.0/i586/media/....) HOwever most do contain the
    contrib updates in
    official/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/updates
    (or something like that if I have misremembered the exact path).
    Why they now have two different updates stream I do not know.

    >> 2) When ktorrent messed up my system, I used bittorrent to "fix " it (Ie I
    >> run bittorrent with the destination being the already downloded file.)
    >> after much cogitation, bittorrent downloaded the missing 10% of the file,
    >> and claimed it was done. The resultant iso still did not pass the md5sum
    >> test. Ie, bittorrent on 2007.0 also seems to be broken.
    >> I then ran ktorrent2.1.2 on that iso, and it said there were 5 defective
    >> chunks. It downloaded those and finally the iso passed the md5 test. Ie,
    >> bittorrent under 2007.0 also seems to be broken-- not as badly as ktorrent
    >> 2.0.2, but broken non-the-less.

    >I did get successful md5sums and sha1sums on the three CD set of
    >Mandriva 2008.0 using ktorrent 2.0.2 on Mandriva 2007.0.

    OK, you were lucky. I was not. However I thought that all torrents were
    supposed to verify that the chunks actually were correct while downloading.
    Apparently they do not.

    >Another method for fixing a broken or incomplete torrent is to use
    >rsync.

    well, yes, but you have to find someone that delivers the pwp isos via
    rsync. Many have the free, but I do not know of any rsync sources for the
    pwp isos.

    >Personally I've only had mediocre success with bittorrent clients,
    >but then I'm a long way from the center of the swarm.

    >At this stage of the release you can probably do better with
    >wget from a local mirror rather than starting a new bittorrent
    >download.

    ktorrent 2.1.2 seems to work fine. And I was after a while getting 900KB/s
    download with ktorrent.

  9. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    Unruh wrote:

    > "Peter D." writes:
    >
    >>on Monday 15 October 2007 08:45
    >>in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >>Unruh wrote:

    >>> 2 items. 1) Since ktorrent on Mandriva 2007.0 was in contrib, the
    >>> updates are also in contrib, which I never used. In the updates,
    >>> ktorrent is upgraded to 2.1.2 instead of 2.0.2 in the original 2007.0

    >>Opps, I hadn't twigged to that. mirror.pacific.net.au is not a
    >>*complete* mirror. :-(

    > I have not found any mirror which contains contrib under updates. (
    > official/updates/2007.0/i586/media/....) HOwever most do contain the
    > contrib updates in
    > official/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/updates
    > (or something like that if I have misremembered the exact path).
    > Why they now have two different updates stream I do not know.
    >

    >>> 2) When ktorrent messed up my system, I used bittorrent to "fix " it (Ie
    >>> I run bittorrent with the destination being the already downloded file.)
    >>> after much cogitation, bittorrent downloaded the missing 10% of the
    >>> file, and claimed it was done. The resultant iso still did not pass the
    >>> md5sum test. Ie, bittorrent on 2007.0 also seems to be broken.
    >>> I then ran ktorrent2.1.2 on that iso, and it said there were 5 defective
    >>> chunks. It downloaded those and finally the iso passed the md5 test. Ie,
    >>> bittorrent under 2007.0 also seems to be broken-- not as badly as
    >>> ktorrent 2.0.2, but broken non-the-less.

    >>I did get successful md5sums and sha1sums on the three CD set of
    >>Mandriva 2008.0 using ktorrent 2.0.2 on Mandriva 2007.0.

    > OK, you were lucky. I was not. However I thought that all torrents were
    > supposed to verify that the chunks actually were correct while
    > downloading. Apparently they do not.
    >

    >>Another method for fixing a broken or incomplete torrent is to use
    >>rsync.

    > well, yes, but you have to find someone that delivers the pwp isos via
    > rsync. Many have the free, but I do not know of any rsync sources for the
    > pwp isos.
    >

    >>Personally I've only had mediocre success with bittorrent clients,
    >>but then I'm a long way from the center of the swarm.

    >>At this stage of the release you can probably do better with
    >>wget from a local mirror rather than starting a new bittorrent
    >>download.

    > ktorrent 2.1.2 seems to work fine. And I was after a while getting 900KB/s
    > download with ktorrent.

    \

    there is nothing wrong with ktorrent in the 2008 release. i have used it
    and when i have finished torrenting i right click on it and it picked up one
    chunk that it didnt have or was incorrect and automatically got that little
    piece.

    its works fine for me i was getting abou 700 kb torrent when i was
    downloading it.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  10. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    patrickdarcy writes:

    >Unruh wrote:

    >> "Peter D." writes:
    >>
    >>>on Monday 15 October 2007 08:45
    >>>in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva

    >>>Opps, I hadn't twigged to that. mirror.pacific.net.au is not a
    >>>*complete* mirror. :-(

    >> I have not found any mirror which contains contrib under updates. (
    >> official/updates/2007.0/i586/media/....) HOwever most do contain the
    >> contrib updates in
    >> official/2007.0/i586/media/contrib/updates
    >> (or something like that if I have misremembered the exact path).
    >> Why they now have two different updates stream I do not know.

    >>>I did get successful md5sums and sha1sums on the three CD set of
    >>>Mandriva 2008.0 using ktorrent 2.0.2 on Mandriva 2007.0.

    >> OK, you were lucky. I was not. However I thought that all torrents were
    >> supposed to verify that the chunks actually were correct while
    >> downloading. Apparently they do not.
    >>

    >>>Another method for fixing a broken or incomplete torrent is to use
    >>>rsync.

    >> well, yes, but you have to find someone that delivers the pwp isos via
    >> rsync. Many have the free, but I do not know of any rsync sources for the
    >> pwp isos.
    >>

    >>>Personally I've only had mediocre success with bittorrent clients,
    >>>but then I'm a long way from the center of the swarm.

    >>>At this stage of the release you can probably do better with
    >>>wget from a local mirror rather than starting a new bittorrent
    >>>download.

    >> ktorrent 2.1.2 seems to work fine. And I was after a while getting 900KB/s
    >> download with ktorrent.

    >\

    >there is nothing wrong with ktorrent in the 2008 release. i have used it
    >and when i have finished torrenting i right click on it and it picked up one
    >chunk that it didnt have or was incorrect and automatically got that little
    >piece.

    Of course once you have the 2008 release it is not as crucial to get the
    2008 release. Yes, it seems that 2.1.2 ( in 2007.1 and in the 2007.0
    contrib updates) also works. But I have no idea what you mean "right click
    on it". Also I thought that the torrent was supposed to check every chunk
    and make sure it was OK before finishing. Why in the world would it finish
    and then you have to tell it to check things? That sounds directly counter
    to how a torrent is supposed to behave.

    >its works fine for me i was getting abou 700 kb torrent when i was
    >downloading it.

    >--
    >Love is all u need.

  11. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    Unruh wrote:
    > I was after a while getting 900KB/s download with ktorrent.

    Wow. That must be nice. It makes sense, though, for you to have so
    much bandwidth.

    Just curious: did you seed for a while afterward? It seems like you
    would have the opposite problem most of us have. It could take you a
    while to get back to 1:1 if there weren't enough downloaders.

    Theoretically, and if I didn't make a mistake, you could handle 400
    dialup users. Heh.

    BTW, I use Azureus (a GUI Java app.) for BitTorrent. By default, it
    checks for updates for itself, then installs the updates if desired.

    http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

  12. Re: ktorrent badly broken?

    "Scott B." writes:

    >Unruh wrote:
    >> I was after a while getting 900KB/s download with ktorrent.

    >Wow. That must be nice. It makes sense, though, for you to have so
    >much bandwidth.

    Actually it is higher than that. Much.

    >Just curious: did you seed for a while afterward? It seems like you

    Yes, but I am not sure it did anyone a favour since my download which
    ktorrent claimed was fine, was not fine but had 2000 chunks (out of 17000)
    defective. I
    would thus not trust anything I supplied to anyone else.

    >would have the opposite problem most of us have. It could take you a
    >while to get back to 1:1 if there weren't enough downloaders.

    >Theoretically, and if I didn't make a mistake, you could handle 400
    >dialup users. Heh.

    >BTW, I use Azureus (a GUI Java app.) for BitTorrent. By default, it
    >checks for updates for itself, then installs the updates if desired.

    >http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

+ Reply to Thread