2 small probs with sprng 07 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2 small probs with sprng 07 - Mandriva ; OK I have just installed spring 07 and have ironed out most of my problems. But their are two that cause me some aggravation. 1. Ati radeon 9200 dual screen. My screen is dual screened but it's just cloned. How ...

  1. 2 small probs with sprng 07

    OK I have just installed spring 07 and have ironed out most of my problems.
    But their are two that cause me some aggravation.
    1. Ati radeon 9200 dual screen. My screen is dual screened but it's just
    cloned. How do I get it to extend my desktop and allow me to have a nice
    wide desktop.
    2. NTFS write permissions.
    Have 3 ntfs partitions I need to be able to add files to them and edit
    what's there. I installed ntfs-3g but whenever I mount the drives with it
    the directory /mnt/somentfs is empty. If i restart with ntfs-3g still
    listed as the driver the drive won't mount.
    Any ideas?

  2. Re: 2 small probs with sprng 07

    On Oct 11, 1:41 pm, aaron wrote:
    > OK I have just installed spring 07 and have ironed out most of my problems.
    > But their are two that cause me some aggravation.
    > 1. Ati radeon 9200 dual screen. My screen is dual screened but it's just
    > cloned. How do I get it to extend my desktop and allow me to have a nice
    > wide desktop.

    I have dualscreen/wide desktop running on an older card (7000). In
    ServerLayout, add this line

    Option "Xinerama" "true"

    I also have another xorg.conf where it is NOT set to true. This one
    has lower resolutions that the somewhat limited video card mem can
    handle WITH the AIGLX effects turned on. so I can get the spinning
    cube.

    If you search thru this newsgroup the first one may have already been
    posted for public viewing

  3. Re: 2 small probs with sprng 07

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:41:12 -0400, aaron wrote:

    > OK I have just installed spring 07 and have ironed out most of my
    > problems. But their are two that cause me some aggravation. 1. Ati
    > radeon 9200 dual screen. My screen is dual screened but it's just
    > cloned. How do I get it to extend my desktop and allow me to have a nice
    > wide desktop.
    > 2. NTFS write permissions.
    > Have 3 ntfs partitions I need to be able to add files to them and edit
    > what's there. I installed ntfs-3g but whenever I mount the drives with
    > it the directory /mnt/somentfs is empty. If i restart with ntfs-3g
    > still listed as the driver the drive won't mount. Any ideas?

    Don't know about the NTFS partition, but this is how I got my dual 19"
    LCD's to work.

    Go to:"System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Hardware/Set Up The
    Graphical Server"
    Click on “Options.”
    Check the box for “Enable duplicate display on the second display”
    and restart X. You should still see two identical displays.
    Log in as root and go to: "etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    Open xorg.conf with a text editor.
    Change the option setting under Section “Device” that reads
    “TwinViewOrientation” from “Clone” to “LeftOf” and save your changes.
    Log off and restart X again.
    When you restart X you should have one big desktop.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  4. Re: 2 small probs with sprng 07

    On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:41:12 -0400, aaron wrote:

    > 2. NTFS write permissions.
    > Have 3 ntfs partitions I need to be able to add files to them and edit
    > what's there. I installed ntfs-3g but whenever I mount the drives withit
    > the directory /mnt/somentfs is empty. If i restart with ntfs-3g still
    > listed as the driver the drive won't mount.

    See the two threads
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...a22b16a040efa1
    and
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...5d07aef529d1bc

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: 2 small probs with sprng 07

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:41:12 -0400, aaron wrote:
    >
    >> 2. NTFS write permissions.
    >> Have 3 ntfs partitions I need to be able to add files to them and edit
    >> what's there. I installed ntfs-3g but whenever I mount the drives with it
    >> the directory /mnt/somentfs is empty. If i restart with ntfs-3g still
    >> listed as the driver the drive won't mount.

    > See the two threads

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...a22b16a040efa1
    > and

    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.o...5d07aef529d1bc

    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Thanks that worked and I can now write to my ntfs drives! Many thanks.

    Aaron

+ Reply to Thread