ADSL seems slow - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ADSL seems slow - Mandriva ; Using Mandriva Spring with an ADSL connection to the Internet. When opening a Web page, Mandriva seems to time out frequently, much more often than Windows XP. I am running Privoxy, but somebody on their mailing list was told that ...

  1. ADSL seems slow

    Using Mandriva Spring with an ADSL connection to the Internet. When opening
    a Web page, Mandriva seems to time out frequently, much more often than
    Windows XP. I am running Privoxy, but somebody on their mailing list was
    told that there is nothing in Privoxy to do it, simply the 404 page is
    different.

    Different distros have different strengths and weaknesses, but the
    performance here is almost unacceptable.

    What should I look at? I would post more detail if I knew what is relevant.
    The connection is ethernet to a modem, then PPPoE to the phone socket.

    Doug.
    --
    How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to
    improve the world.

  2. Re: ADSL seems slow

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Using Mandriva Spring with an ADSL connection to the Internet. When
    > opening a Web page, Mandriva seems to time out frequently, much more often
    > than
    > Windows XP. I am running Privoxy, but somebody on their mailing list was
    > told that there is nothing in Privoxy to do it, simply the 404 page is
    > different.

    This may be relevant: (the line may wrap)

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...eb_browsing.29

    Jim

  3. Re: ADSL seems slow

    James Kerr wrote:

    > Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >
    >> Using Mandriva Spring with an ADSL connection to the Internet. When
    >> opening a Web page, Mandriva seems to time out frequently, much more
    >> often than
    >> Windows XP. I am running Privoxy, but somebody on their mailing list was
    >> told that there is nothing in Privoxy to do it, simply the 404 page is
    >> different.
    >>

    > This may be relevant: (the line may wrap)

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...eb_browsing.29

    > Jim

    Thanks Jim. Actually, BitTwister advised me to do that some time ago, but
    it was more in the vein of "I don't know anybody who has benefited from
    IPV6," so I thought: Why worry? I have made the change. Only time will
    tell if there is an improvement.

    It is going to be interesting seeing IP addresses in hex.

    Doug.
    --
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is liking what you get.
    - Anonymous

  4. Re: ADSL seems slow

    Check dns. If dns is pointing to your router or modem, your surfing may
    be slow. Try putting in dns from your isp or open dns (208.67.222.222,
    208.67.220.220). This works for me.

    Space

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:32:30 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > James Kerr wrote:
    >
    >> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >>
    >>> Using Mandriva Spring with an ADSL connection to the Internet. When
    >>> opening a Web page, Mandriva seems to time out frequently, much more
    >>> often than
    >>> Windows XP. I am running Privoxy, but somebody on their mailing list
    >>> was told that there is nothing in Privoxy to do it, simply the 404
    >>> page is different.
    >>>

    >> This may be relevant: (the line may wrap)
    >>

    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases/Mandriva/2007.1/

    Errata#Slow_internet_response_.28particularly_web_ browsing.29

    >> Jim

    > Thanks Jim. Actually, BitTwister advised me to do that some time ago,
    > but it was more in the vein of "I don't know anybody who has benefited
    > from IPV6," so I thought: Why worry? I have made the change. Only time
    > will tell if there is an improvement.
    >
    > It is going to be interesting seeing IP addresses in hex.
    >
    > Doug.

  5. Re: ADSL seems slow

    On Tue, 06 May 2008 21:14:02 -0400, spacedghost wrote:

    > Check dns. If dns is pointing to your router or modem, your surfing may
    > be slow. Try putting in dns from your isp or open dns (208.67.222.222,
    > 208.67.220.220). This works for me.
    >
    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:32:30 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    Kind of strange to see a response to an article posted over 8 months ago.

    Anyway, anyone considering using the opendns name servers should be aware
    that they redirect nxdomain response to a yahoo web search page, which
    may break some software. Also, they redirect search requests to their
    own search engine servers. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

    Regards, Dave Hodgins