problems upgrading - Mandriva

This is a discussion on problems upgrading - Mandriva ; hi, i have a compaq 650mhz, with 10gb harddisk and 1024mb ram on board. i run mandrake linux 10.0, it's quitte of of date, so i try to upgrade to mandriva 2007. but every time i try to upgrade (or ...

  1. problems upgrading

    hi,
    i have a compaq 650mhz, with 10gb harddisk and 1024mb ram on board. i
    run mandrake linux 10.0, it's quitte of of date, so i try to upgrade
    to mandriva 2007. but every time i try to upgrade (or even a clean
    install from scratch), the computer hangs while installing or while
    booting.
    is there a way to solve this without having to buy a new computer?

  2. Re: problems upgrading

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 11:15:19 -0700, justthebiggestfan wrote:

    > hi,
    > i have a compaq 650mhz, with 10gb harddisk and 1024mb ram on board. i
    > run mandrake linux 10.0, it's quitte of of date, so i try to upgrade
    > to mandriva 2007. but every time i try to upgrade (or even a clean
    > install from scratch), the computer hangs while installing or while
    > booting.
    > is there a way to solve this without having to buy a new computer?

    Probably. You've given very little to work on. Have you tried any of the
    'cheat codes' for the boot disk?

  3. Re: problems upgrading

    justthebiggestfan@hotmail.com wrote:
    > hi,
    > i have a compaq 650mhz, with 10gb harddisk and 1024mb ram on board. i
    > run mandrake linux 10.0, it's quitte of of date, so i try to upgrade
    > to mandriva 2007. but every time i try to upgrade (or even a clean
    > install from scratch), the computer hangs while installing or while
    > booting.
    > is there a way to solve this without having to buy a new computer?

    Probably. Mandriva does reqire a i586 cpu. A 486 will not do.

    Try putting the install DVD in the drive and cd to /mnt/hdd or
    whatever your DVD mounts to. Look around for INSTALL instructions,
    a README, and other good information.

    If that does not help, within 10.0 launch mcc, go to hardware,
    and look at what the OS thinks your hardware is. CPU, harddrives,
    USB (especially if the drives are USB) and maybe videocard might
    be significant. I seem to remember something about ways to handle
    problems with Compaq, but those should be covered in the documentation
    on the install DVD.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: problems upgrading

    justthebiggestfan@hotmail.com wrote:
    > hi,
    > i have a compaq 650mhz, with 10gb harddisk and 1024mb ram on board. i
    > run mandrake linux 10.0, it's quitte of of date, so i try to upgrade
    > to mandriva 2007. but every time i try to upgrade (or even a clean
    > install from scratch), the computer hangs while installing or while
    > booting.
    > is there a way to solve this without having to buy a new computer?

    Computers are so darn cheap on eBay for example that you
    really should consider an upgrade if at all possible.

    Best.

  5. Re: problems upgrading

    justthebiggestfan@hotmail.com wrote:
    > hi,
    > i have a compaq 650mhz, with 10gb harddisk and 1024mb ram on board. i
    > run mandrake linux 10.0, it's quitte of of date, so i try to upgrade
    > to mandriva 2007. but every time i try to upgrade (or even a clean
    > install from scratch), the computer hangs while installing or while
    > booting.
    > is there a way to solve this without having to buy a new computer?

    Well - I don't know what type of video card you have, but
    try to install in VGA (or maybe frambuffer)mode..

    Also adding "noapic" and maybe "nolapic" (without quotes) on
    the start line can possibly solve the problem..

    Don't try to update from 10.0, but do a fresh install. An
    update is going to fail in my opinion..

+ Reply to Thread