    one do I pick? (This is why people like Linspire.)
    -Pete

  2. Re: Samba Samba x20 ???

    On 2007-09-09, Pete wrote:
    > I want to do some networking but there are about 20 files
    > that have samba in the title in the Software Manager. Which
    > one do I pick?

    Do you want a server or a client?

    > (This is why people like Linspire.)

    Why? Is all samba stuff bundled as one package even though you may not
    need it all?

    Lordy

  3. Re: Samba Samba x20 ???

    On 2007-09-09, lordy wrote:
    > On 2007-09-09, Pete wrote:
    >> I want to do some networking but there are about 20 files
    >> that have samba in the title in the Software Manager. Which
    >> one do I pick?

    > Do you want a server or a client?

    PS get in the habit of reading the package descriptions.

    >> (This is why people like Linspire.)

    > Why? Is all samba stuff bundled as one package even though you may not
    > need it all?

    Maybe more choice allows more flexibility. If you cant pick out
    samba-server or samba-client from that lot maybe you want a distro with
    fewer packages available.

    > Lordy

  4. Re: Samba Samba x20 ???

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:36:38 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > I want to do some networking but there are about 20 files
    > that have samba in the title in the Software Manager. Which
    > one do I pick? (This is why people like Linspire.)
    > -Pete

    Depending on what you want to do, you may or may not need samba. I don't
    have samba installed on my home network - five Linux computers. Also don't
    have it installed on the public access computers (all Linux) I admin at
    the local library.

  5. Re: Samba Samba x20 ???

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:36:38 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I want to do some networking but there are about 20 files
    >> that have samba in the title in the Software Manager. Which
    >> one do I pick? (This is why people like Linspire.)
    >> -Pete

    > Depending on what you want to do, you may or may not need samba. I don't
    > have samba installed on my home network - five Linux computers. Also don't
    > have it installed on the public access computers (all Linux) I admin at
    > the local library.

    Cool.

    Well I have four home PC's. They are all connected to the
    Internet. Three plug into the router, and one is wireless. I
    would like all the computers to use the printer and also
    share files. My main machine is Linux Mandriva. The other
    ones are M$ Windoze. I want to network in the simplest way
    possible (obviously). So, can this be done without samba?

    Thanks.
    -Pete

  6. Re: Samba Samba x20 ???

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:20:28 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:36:38 +0000, Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to do some networking but there are about 20 files
    >>> that have samba in the title in the Software Manager. Which
    >>> one do I pick? (This is why people like Linspire.)
    >>> -Pete

    >> Depending on what you want to do, you may or may not need samba. I don't
    >> have samba installed on my home network - five Linux computers. Also don't
    >> have it installed on the public access computers (all Linux) I admin at
    >> the local library.
    >>

    > Cool.
    >
    > Well I have four home PC's. They are all connected to the
    > Internet. Three plug into the router, and one is wireless. I
    > would like all the computers to use the printer and also
    > share files. My main machine is Linux Mandriva. The other
    > ones are M$ Windoze. I want to network in the simplest way
    > possible (obviously). So, can this be done without samba?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > -Pete

    Not really an expert in that area - another alternative, at least for
    sharing files, would be the Unix tools for MS - which is supposed to be
    available free, from MS. That would allow NFS file sharing. The printer,
    I'm not sure - I've always used Samba in the past - I've done printer
    sharing both directions, but it's been a couple of years.

  7. Re: Samba Samba x20 ???

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:20:28 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> Depending on what you want to do, you may or may not need samba. I don't
    >>> have samba installed on my home network - five Linux computers. Also don't
    >>> have it installed on the public access computers (all Linux) I admin at
    >>> the local library.
    >>>

    >> Cool.
    >>
    >> Well I have four home PC's. They are all connected to the
    >> Internet. Three plug into the router, and one is wireless. I
    >> would like all the computers to use the printer and also
    >> share files. My main machine is Linux Mandriva. The other
    >> ones are M$ Windoze. I want to network in the simplest way
    >> possible (obviously). So, can this be done without samba?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >> -Pete

    > Not really an expert in that area - another alternative, at least for
    > sharing files, would be the Unix tools for MS - which is supposed to be
    > available free, from MS. That would allow NFS file sharing. The printer,
    > I'm not sure - I've always used Samba in the past - I've done printer
    > sharing both directions, but it's been a couple of years.

    oh.

+ Reply to Thread