ndiswrapper - Mandriva

This is a discussion on ndiswrapper - Mandriva ; Greets all, After a re-install of 2007.1 following my motherboard dying I am trying to get my wireless card (D-link DWL-510) working, so far I have tried the latest from Mandriva and compiled from source, both seem to be OK, ...

  1. ndiswrapper

    Greets all,

    After a re-install of 2007.1 following my motherboard dying I am trying
    to get my wireless card (D-link DWL-510) working, so far I have tried
    the latest from Mandriva and compiled from source, both seem to be OK,
    but when I try to load the kernel module I get...

    FATAL: Module ndisrwapper not found.

    Nothing in dmesg it is just like the module is missing, but it is in
    /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

    Had no problems with this before, so I have no idea where to go from
    here. Any help would be gratefully received.

    Thanks,
    Drew.

  2. Re: ndiswrapper

    On 2007-09-08, none <""> wrote:
    > Greets all,
    >
    > After a re-install of 2007.1 following my motherboard dying I am trying
    > to get my wireless card (D-link DWL-510) working, so far I have tried
    > the latest from Mandriva and compiled from source, both seem to be OK,
    > but when I try to load the kernel module I get...
    >
    > FATAL: Module ndisrwapper not found.
    >
    > Nothing in dmesg it is just like the module is missing, but it is in
    > /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
    >
    > Had no problems with this before, so I have no idea where to go from
    > here. Any help would be gratefully received.

    It looks like you did 'make modules_install'. Did you then
    do a 'depmod' or 'depmod -A'? It might be necessary to run
    depmod.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: ndiswrapper

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    > On 2007-09-08, none <""> wrote:
    >> Greets all,
    >>
    >> After a re-install of 2007.1 following my motherboard dying I am trying
    >> to get my wireless card (D-link DWL-510) working, so far I have tried
    >> the latest from Mandriva and compiled from source, both seem to be OK,
    >> but when I try to load the kernel module I get...
    >>
    >> FATAL: Module ndisrwapper not found.
    >>
    >> Nothing in dmesg it is just like the module is missing, but it is in
    >> /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
    >>
    >> Had no problems with this before, so I have no idea where to go from
    >> here. Any help would be gratefully received.

    > It looks like you did 'make modules_install'. Did you then
    > do a 'depmod' or 'depmod -A'? It might be necessary to run
    > depmod.

    Many thanks, I didn't do a depmod... I just did, it loaded! thanks. The
    card still doesn't work though :-(

    Everything looks fine, but I think the radio is off. I now have wlan0
    with the following output from dmesg

    ndiswrapper version 1.47 loaded (smp=yes)
    ndiswrapper: driver net8180 (Realtek,10/07/2004,5.173.1007.2004) loaded
    PCI: Enabling device 0000:00:0c.0 (0000 -> 0003)
    ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:0c.0[A] -> Link [LNKA] -> GSI 10 (level,
    low) -> IRQ 10
    ndiswrapper: using IRQ 10
    wlan0: ethernet device 00:0d:88:42:cb:b6 using NDIS driver: net8180,
    version: 0x500aa, NDIS version: 0x500, vendor: 'Realtek RTL8180 Wireless
    LAN (Mini-)PCI NIC ', 1186:3300.5.conf
    wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA; AES/CCMP with WPA
    usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
    wlan0: no IPv6 routers present

    Which looks good to me, and from iwconfig I get...

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSIDff/any
    Mode:Auto Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:11 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=0/3
    RTS thr:2432 B Fragment thr:2432 B
    Encryption keyff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    Which also seems OK,

    I do have in dmesg the following repeated periodically...

    ndiswrapper (mp_reset:62): wlan0 is being reset

    I have no idea what that is about, I also have no communications or link
    light on the card. Anyone know how to turn the radio on? (or whatever
    the problem may be)

    Thanks
    Drew.

  4. Re: ndiswrapper

    none <""drew\"@(none)"> writes:

    >Greets all,

    >After a re-install of 2007.1 following my motherboard dying I am trying
    >to get my wireless card (D-link DWL-510) working, so far I have tried
    >the latest from Mandriva and compiled from source, both seem to be OK,
    >but when I try to load the kernel module I get...

    >FATAL: Module ndisrwapper not found.

    >Nothing in dmesg it is just like the module is missing, but it is in
    >/lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/misc/ndiswrapper.ko

    But the new kernel may be 2.6.17-14mdv
    If that is not the problem run
    depmod

    Also no idea why it is in /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
    I would have expected it in /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/kernel/3rdparty/ndiswrapper.ko
    which is where Mandriva 2007.1 installs it.

    >Had no problems with this before, so I have no idea where to go from
    >here. Any help would be gratefully received.

    >Thanks,
    >Drew.

  5. Re: ndiswrapper

    On 2007-09-08, none <""> wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >> On 2007-09-08, none <""> wrote:
    >>> Greets all,
    >>>
    >>> After a re-install of 2007.1 following my motherboard dying I am trying
    >>> to get my wireless card (D-link DWL-510) working, so far I have tried
    >>> the latest from Mandriva and compiled from source, both seem to be OK,
    >>> but when I try to load the kernel module I get...
    >>>
    >>> FATAL: Module ndisrwapper not found.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing in dmesg it is just like the module is missing, but it is in
    >>> /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/misc/ndiswrapper.ko
    >>>
    >>> Had no problems with this before, so I have no idea where to go from
    >>> here. Any help would be gratefully received.

    >> It looks like you did 'make modules_install'. Did you then
    >> do a 'depmod' or 'depmod -A'? It might be necessary to run
    >> depmod.
    >>

    > Many thanks, I didn't do a depmod... I just did, it loaded! thanks. The
    > card still doesn't work though :-(

    Glad to have been at least a tiny bit of help.

    I just noticed you appear to be using the 2.6.17-13mdv
    kernel. That kernel can be dangerous and should be
    scrapped! On my 2007.0 system, the kernel would hang
    whenever I would unplug or power down a USB device. I went
    back to the -11mdv kernel until -14mdv was released. I
    would recommend updating to the most recent update kernel
    before doing anything else.

    Kernel 2.6.17-15mdv has been released for 2007.0, so I would
    be surprised if 2007.1 wasn't at least that far along.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net