Mandriva Update Confusion - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Mandriva Update Confusion - Mandriva ; I'm running Mandriva 2007.1, i586 version. Early this morning my little update icon told me there were updates available, so I clicked on it to go after them. There were several updates, maybe 20 or so as I remember. The ...

  1. Mandriva Update Confusion

    I'm running Mandriva 2007.1, i586 version. Early this morning my little
    update icon told me there were updates available, so I clicked on it to
    go after them. There were several updates, maybe 20 or so as I remember.
    The first five installed ok, but then in the middle of downloading the
    next, it stalled. It could have been my service, or it could have been
    the mirror, I'm not sure. After about 5-7 minutes of being stalled, I
    shut down the update and tried again later. This time I got an error
    message that there was a problem after the package signatures were
    checked. This is the message:

    kdelibs-common = 30000000:3.5.6-11.1mdv2007.1 is needed by (installed)
    libkdecore4-3.5.6.11.1mdv2007.1.586

    (I THINK I have enough zeros in that first number, and I may have some
    of the spacing wrong, but I think you should get the idea.)

    I was able to install all the updates but 1 - kdelibs-common
    3.5.6-11.2mdv2007.1.i586, so I assume that's where the trouble lies.
    Yes, I note the 11.1/11.2 difference.

    So far, everything appears to be functioning normally. My question: Is
    this a problem with my system due to the above-mentioned shutdown, or is
    it something to do with the provided update package? Make that
    questions: If it does lie with my machine, what can I do to fix it?

    TJ

  2. Re: Mandriva Update Confusion

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:16:37 -0400, TJ wrote:
    > I'm running Mandriva 2007.1, i586 version. Early this morning my little
    > update icon told me there were updates available, so I clicked on it to
    > go after them. There were several updates, maybe 20 or so as I remember.

    That is pretty close, depending on what you have installed.

    > The first five installed ok, but then in the middle of downloading the
    > next, it stalled. It could have been my service, or it could have been
    > the mirror, I'm not sure. After about 5-7 minutes of being stalled, I
    > shut down the update and tried again later. This time I got an error
    > message that there was a problem after the package signatures were
    > checked.

    Yep, aborted download, dropped, connection,.... = bad signature of rpm
    found in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

    > So far, everything appears to be functioning normally.

    Sounds about normal. Package will not be installed unless eveything
    checks out.

    > My question: Is
    > this a problem with my system due to the above-mentioned shutdown, or is
    > it something to do with the provided update package?

    Since mine and my neighbor's installed correctly, I'll vote for a corrupt
    package on your system.

    > If it does lie with my machine, what can I do to fix it?

    Remove offending package in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms and try update again.

    I like using the command line for updates. That way gui wrapper/interface
    cannot hide error messages.

    Since you "tried again later" and if not on dial up, you might try
    clickiing up a terminal
    su - root

    /bin/rm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/*
    urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto

    That should get your mirror list (*.cz) index/lists updated, then do
    your update again.

    You may get less that the original 20 because some packages were installed.

  3. Re: Mandriva Update Confusion

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:16:37 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >> I'm running Mandriva 2007.1, i586 version. Early this morning my little
    >> update icon told me there were updates available, so I clicked on it to
    >> go after them. There were several updates, maybe 20 or so as I remember.

    > That is pretty close, depending on what you have installed.
    >
    >> The first five installed ok, but then in the middle of downloading the
    >> next, it stalled. It could have been my service, or it could have been
    >> the mirror, I'm not sure. After about 5-7 minutes of being stalled, I
    >> shut down the update and tried again later. This time I got an error
    >> message that there was a problem after the package signatures were
    >> checked.

    > Yep, aborted download, dropped, connection,.... = bad signature of rpm
    > found in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms
    >

    >> So far, everything appears to be functioning normally.

    > Sounds about normal. Package will not be installed unless eveything
    > checks out.
    >

    >> My question: Is
    >> this a problem with my system due to the above-mentioned shutdown, or is
    >> it something to do with the provided update package?

    > Since mine and my neighbor's installed correctly, I'll vote for a corrupt
    > package on your system.
    >
    >> If it does lie with my machine, what can I do to fix it?

    > Remove offending package in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms and try update again.
    >
    > I like using the command line for updates. That way gui wrapper/interface
    > cannot hide error messages.
    >
    > Since you "tried again later" and if not on dial up, you might try
    > clickiing up a terminal
    > su - root
    >

    > /bin/rm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/*
    > urpmi --wget --update --auto-update --auto
    >
    > That should get your mirror list (*.cz) index/lists updated, then do
    > your update again.
    >
    > You may get less that the original 20 because some packages were installed.

    Thanks for the help, but I think I got it on my own. I just looked at
    the installed packages again, more carefully this time, and I found that
    I had versions 3.5.6.11.1 and 3.5.6.11.2 of libkdecore4 both installed.
    After uninstalling 11.1 (and there were no dependencies, so I think I'm
    OK), the offending file update installed without a hitch, and my update
    icon is now a green check mark again.

    I was definitely in the middle of the download phase when it stalled,
    something like 40% done. Since things worked out ok, do you think all
    that happened was that 11.1 wasn't removed and 11.2 is OK?

    TJ

  4. Re: Mandriva Update Confusion

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 10:22:45 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > I was definitely in the middle of the download phase when it stalled,
    > something like 40% done. Since things worked out ok, do you think all
    > that happened was that 11.1 wasn't removed and 11.2 is OK?

    Could not guess without seeing console messages.

  5. Re: Mandriva Update Confusion

    TJ writes:

    >I'm running Mandriva 2007.1, i586 version. Early this morning my little
    >update icon told me there were updates available, so I clicked on it to
    >go after them. There were several updates, maybe 20 or so as I remember.
    >The first five installed ok, but then in the middle of downloading the
    >next, it stalled. It could have been my service, or it could have been
    >the mirror, I'm not sure. After about 5-7 minutes of being stalled, I
    >shut down the update and tried again later. This time I got an error
    >message that there was a problem after the package signatures were
    >checked. This is the message:

    >kdelibs-common = 30000000:3.5.6-11.1mdv2007.1 is needed by (installed)
    >libkdecore4-3.5.6.11.1mdv2007.1.586

    You need to update libkdecore4 at the same time as kdelibs-common. It may
    be that Mandriva forgot to put them both up or that your source did not get
    them all. Try again after a day or so.
    I notice that my system has downloaded both.