"Cluster" packages? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on "Cluster" packages? - Mandriva ; I have three machines plugged into an Internet router (XP, Vista, Mandriva). I would like to network them and share the printer (attached to Mandriva machine). The M$ machines seem to see each other but I can't network into the ...

  1. "Cluster" packages?

    I have three machines plugged into an Internet router (XP,
    Vista, Mandriva). I would like to network them and share the
    printer (attached to Mandriva machine). The M$ machines seem
    to see each other but I can't network into the Linux machine.

    Also my "cluster" packages have no packages in synaptic (or
    whatever it's called here). What sources must I add so I can
    eventually network the three and share the printer (a
    Brother printer which I got to work fine with Linux).
    -Pete

  2. Re: "Cluster" packages?

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:53:34 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > I have three machines plugged into an Internet router (XP,
    > Vista, Mandriva). I would like to network them and share the
    > printer (attached to Mandriva machine). The M$ machines seem
    > to see each other but I can't network into the Linux machine.
    >
    > Also my "cluster" packages have no packages in synaptic (or
    > whatever it's called here). What sources must I add so I can
    > eventually network the three and share the printer (a
    > Brother printer which I got to work fine with Linux).
    > -Pete

    samba

  3. Re: "Cluster" packages?

    Pete wrote:

    > I have three machines plugged into an Internet router (XP,
    > Vista, Mandriva). I would like to network them and share the
    > printer (attached to Mandriva machine). The M$ machines seem
    > to see each other but I can't network into the Linux machine.

    My husband insisted on buying a portable with Vista, and I wanted to get it
    on the network like our old portable. I hope this helps at least to explain
    what the problem is:

    Unfortunately, when I tried to follow the instructions about changing the
    Vista security policy, I found that the path doesn't exist in the Home
    Premium version, so I was stuck with fiddling with Samba. I've never made
    it work, so if you solve it, I wish you would share the secret!
    --
    Gail Koontz¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*Retired in my home state
    836 Mallard Rd.¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*... and loving it!

  4. Re: "Cluster" packages?

    ray wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:53:34 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I have three machines plugged into an Internet router (XP,
    >> Vista, Mandriva). I would like to network them and share the
    >> printer (attached to Mandriva machine). The M$ machines seem
    >> to see each other but I can't network into the Linux machine.
    >>
    >> Also my "cluster" packages have no packages in synaptic (or
    >> whatever it's called here). What sources must I add so I can
    >> eventually network the three and share the printer (a
    >> Brother printer which I got to work fine with Linux).
    >> -Pete

    > samba

    Well, I installed two of the Samba packages and who knows if
    it's the right ones! Still doesn't work.
    -Pete

  5. Re: "Cluster" packages?

    Gail Koontz wrote:
    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I have three machines plugged into an Internet router (XP,
    >> Vista, Mandriva). I would like to network them and share the
    >> printer (attached to Mandriva machine). The M$ machines seem
    >> to see each other but I can't network into the Linux machine.
    >>

    > My husband insisted on buying a portable with Vista, and I wanted to get it
    > on the network like our old portable. I hope this helps at least to explain
    > what the problem is:
    >
    > http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html
    >
    > Unfortunately, when I tried to follow the instructions about changing the
    > Vista security policy, I found that the path doesn't exist in the Home
    > Premium version, so I was stuck with fiddling with Samba. I've never made
    > it work, so if you solve it, I wish you would share the secret!

    I'm not having trouble with external drives.

  6. Re: "Cluster" packages?

    Pete wrote:

    > I'm not having trouble with external drives.

    I realize that. The relevant part is the description of the change in Vista
    to NTLMv2 authentication when Linux defaults to NTLM. The Vista fix he
    suggested didn't work for me, but it may work for you, depending on the
    version you have. And there is a way to force Samba at the latest levels to
    use NTLMv2. I've just never made it work, and I had other things to do so
    temporarily gave up.

    --
    Gail Koontz¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*Retired in my home state
    836 Mallard Rd.¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*... and loving it!
    Cocoa, FL 32926¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*gailkoontz@cfl.rr.com

  7. Re: "Cluster" packages?

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 13:08:07 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:53:34 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have three machines plugged into an Internet router (XP,
    >>> Vista, Mandriva). I would like to network them and share the
    >>> printer (attached to Mandriva machine). The M$ machines seem
    >>> to see each other but I can't network into the Linux machine.
    >>>
    >>> Also my "cluster" packages have no packages in synaptic (or
    >>> whatever it's called here). What sources must I add so I can
    >>> eventually network the three and share the printer (a
    >>> Brother printer which I got to work fine with Linux).
    >>> -Pete

    >> samba
    >>

    > Well, I installed two of the Samba packages and who knows if
    > it's the right ones! Still doesn't work.
    > -Pete

    You'll find a samba howto at www.tldp.org. O'reilly's web site has the
    entire contents of the samba book online for free. I believe there is
    another samba howto a samba.org.

  8. Re: "Cluster" packages?

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:26:55 -0400, Gail Koontz wrote:

    > My husband insisted on buying a portable with Vista ...

    I read this to my wife and she wondered why your husband would do such a
    thing. She *loves* Tux. You have her sympathy.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  9. Re: "Cluster" packages?

    ERACC wrote:

    > I read this to my wife and she wondered why your husband would do such a
    > thing. She loves Tux. You have her sympathy.

    Oh, his "real" computer runs Linux, and before Linux we both ran OS/2. He
    always gets my old one when I buy a new one. I just set it up with his
    stuff. He runs any Windows programs he has to have with Win4Lin. But we
    keep the portable to carry to bridge games when we are directing. ACBLscore
    only runs on Windows, and we use a program the players really like that
    times the rounds and shows the remaining time in large numbers, with
    musical nudges when four minutes remain and at the end of the round. As an
    aside, ACBLscore is the most user unfriendly program written for any
    operating system that I've ever encountered.
    --
    Gail Koontz¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*Retired in my home state
    836 Mallard Rd.¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*... and loving it!
    Cocoa, FL 32926¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*gailkoontz@cfl.rr.com

+ Reply to Thread