How to recover files from fat memory card - Mandriva

This is a discussion on How to recover files from fat memory card - Mandriva ; Hi! Is there any way to restore deleted files from a fat partition? I just moved some jpgs by drag and drop in Konqueror. In this way, i was in the office, and i moved the files from a connected ...

  1. How to recover files from fat memory card

    Hi!

    Is there any way to restore deleted files from a fat partition?

    I just moved some jpgs by drag and drop in Konqueror. In this way, i was in
    the office, and i moved the files from a connected camera via the
    fish:-protocol to the remote pc at home. After this move, all the dates of
    the files were corrupt: The date was changed to the time i moved the files.

    Is there any way to recover the date and time of the original files, that
    are now deleted from the SD-card?

    I just tried PhotoRec. It finds files from the SD-card, and copy them to the
    hard drive, but it does not recover the time and date of the files.

    Is there any better tools to use?

    As

  2. Re: How to recover files from fat memory card

    * Amund wrote in alt.os.linux.mandriva:
    > Hi!

    > Is there any way to restore deleted files from a fat partition?

    > I just moved some jpgs by drag and drop in Konqueror. In this way, i was in
    > the office, and i moved the files from a connected camera via the
    > fish:-protocol to the remote pc at home. After this move, all the dates of
    > the files were corrupt: The date was changed to the time i moved the files.

    > Is there any way to recover the date and time of the original files, that
    > are now deleted from the SD-card?

    > I just tried PhotoRec. It finds files from the SD-card, and copy them to the
    > hard drive, but it does not recover the time and date of the files.

    > Is there any better tools to use?

    Are these photos that you took? Do you know if they have EXIF
    information in the file?

    With the exception of date/time are the files ok?

    --
    David

    It were not best that we should all think alike; it is difference of opinion
    that makes horse-races.

  3. Re: How to recover files from fat memory card

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 23:47:06 +0200, Amund wrote:

    > Is there any way to restore deleted files from a fat partition?

    If it hasn't been written to there is, but it's been so long I don't
    recall how. Search engine should find it.

    > Is there any way to recover the date and time of the original files,
    > that are now deleted from the SD-card?

    If you know the times, use touch. man touch.

  4. Re: How to recover files from fat memory card

    SINNER wrote:

    > * Amund wrote in alt.os.linux.mandriva:
    >> Hi!

    >> Is there any way to restore deleted files from a fat partition?

    >> I just moved some jpgs by drag and drop in Konqueror. In this way, i was
    >> in the office, and i moved the files from a connected camera via the
    >> fish:-protocol to the remote pc at home. After this move, all the dates
    >> of the files were corrupt: The date was changed to the time i moved the
    >> files.

    >> Is there any way to recover the date and time of the original files, that
    >> are now deleted from the SD-card?

    >> I just tried PhotoRec. It finds files from the SD-card, and copy them to
    >> the hard drive, but it does not recover the time and date of the files.

    >> Is there any better tools to use?

    > Are these photos that you took? Do you know if they have EXIF
    > information in the file?
    >
    > With the exception of date/time are the files ok?

    The files are ok, except that the date/time is corrupt. But the information
    of creation time, is in the metainfo.

    I guess i have to find any script that pics the info from the metatags, and
    correct the date of thefiles.

  5. Re: How to recover files from fat memory card

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 23:47:06 +0200, Amund wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to restore deleted files from a fat partition?
    >>

    > If it hasn't been written to there is, but it's been so long I don't
    > recall how. Search engine should find it.
    >
    >> Is there any way to recover the date and time of the original files,
    >> that are now deleted from the SD-card?
    >>

    > If you know the times, use touch. man touch.

    Thanks for the help.

    I have found a way to restore the time and date of my jpegs:

    First, i installed exif as root:

    urpmi exif

    Then, i am able to read the date of the picture. By example:

    $ exif -m -i dsc_0120.jpg | grep 0x0132
    0x0132 2007:07:27 00:36:35

    To touch the file, i write the time in this format:

    $ touch -t 200707270026.35 dsc_0120.jpg

    I use awk, to transfere the text string with the date and time:
    $ exif -m -i dsc_0120.jpg | grep 0x0132 | awk '{split($2$3,f,":"); print
    f[1]f[2]f[3]f[4]"."f[5]}'
    200707270036.35

    To restore the date and time of the file dsc_0120.jpg, i write this:

    $ touch -t $(exif -m -i dsc_0120.jpg | grep 0x0132 |
    awk '{split($2$3,f,":"); print f[1]f[2]f[3]f[4]"."f[5]}') dsc_0120.jpg

    To restore all of the file in the directory:

    $ for jpgfile in $(ls *jpg ); do touch -t $(exif -m -i $jpgfile | grep
    0x0132 | awk '{split($2$3,f,":"); print f[1]f[2]f[3]f[4]"."f[5]}')
    $jpgfile; done

    To make a script, i save the commands in a file, by example:
    $ cat ~/bin/datetouchimage
    #!/bin/bash
    for imagefile in $*; do touch -t $(exif -m -i $imagefile | grep 0x0132 |
    awk '{split($2$3,f,":"); print f[1]f[2]f[3]f[4]"."f[5]}') $imagefile; done

    Then i make the file executeable:

    $ chmod +x ~/bin/datetouchimage

    Example of how i can restore the date of a file called dsc_0119.jpg. The
    image is from Jul 26th, and the file was dated from a copy at Set 6th:
    $ ls -la dsc_0119.jpg
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 amund amund 2575772 Sep 6 16:48 dsc_0119.jpg*
    $ ~/bin/datetouchimage dsc_0119.jpg
    $ ls -la dsc_0119.jpg
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 amund amund 2575772 Jul 26 21:50 dsc_0119.jpg*

    To update all of the jpgs in the directory, i write:
    ~/bin/datetouchimage *.jpg

    (I have not experience about the things i have done here, and i have not
    tested this script well.)

+ Reply to Thread