Running a single application on X, rather than a desktop environment? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Running a single application on X, rather than a desktop environment? - Mandriva ; Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to run Americas Army without having KDE or any other desktop environment running? I want to see if runs better - and I just want to do it for ...

  1. Running a single application on X, rather than a desktop environment?

    Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to run Americas
    Army without having KDE or any other desktop environment running?

    I want to see if runs better - and I just want to do it for the heck of
    it .

    thanks

    Lionel.

  2. Re: Running a single application on X, rather than a desktop environment?

    Lionel van den Berg wrote:
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to run Americas
    > Army without having KDE or any other desktop environment running?
    >
    > I want to see if runs better - and I just want to do it for the heck of
    > it .

    Use a lightweight window manager such as IceWM or blackbox. These will
    let you run X11 without all the desktop crud associated with KDE
    or Gnome.

    Regards,

    David Mathog

  3. Re: Running a single application on X, rather than a desktopenvironment?

    On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:19:41 -0400, Lionel van den Berg wrote:

    > Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to run Americas
    > Army without having KDE or any other desktop environment running?

    If the applications supports it, from run level 3, just enter
    startx gimp
    (replace gimp, with name of the application).

    I've used this when editing large pictures.

    Be aware, you won't be able to raise/lower/move windows, and may not
    have a way to close the application, execpt ctrl+c, or ctrl+alt+backspace.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Running a single application on X, rather than a desktopenvironment?

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:19:41 -0400, Lionel van den Berg wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to run Americas
    >> Army without having KDE or any other desktop environment running?

    > If the applications supports it, from run level 3, just enter
    > startx gimp
    > (replace gimp, with name of the application).
    >
    > I've used this when editing large pictures.
    >
    > Be aware, you won't be able to raise/lower/move windows, and may not
    > have a way to close the application, execpt ctrl+c, or ctrl+alt+backspace.

    That was too easy. Thanks.

    Americas Army, being a game, takes over anyway so I don't need all the
    other functions of the desktop environment.

    Lionel.

  5. Re: Running a single application on X, rather than adesktopenvironment?

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:41:04 +1000, Lionel van den Berg wrote:

    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:19:41 -0400, Lionel van den Berg
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to run Americas
    >>> Army without having KDE or any other desktop environment running?

    >> If the applications supports it, from run level 3, just enter
    >> startx gimp

    Or, if your machine is high-end enough just stay in runlevel 5, switch to
    a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1-F6), login as your primary user or as another
    user, type 'startx program_name_here -- :1'. Then you have two X sessions
    running and can switch between them with Ctrl+Alt+F7 and Ctrl+Alt+F8.
    This is nice for when you don't want to log out of X just to play your
    game.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

+ Reply to Thread