2008 RC 1 ? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008 RC 1 ? - Mandriva ; Anyone running it? http://linux.slashdot.org/comments.p...9&cid=20489673 Lordy...

  1. 2008 RC 1 ?

  2. Re: 2008 RC 1 ?

    On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:13:08 +0000 (UTC), lordy wrote:
    > Anyone running it?

    Good news, KDE loads pretty fast.
    Bad news, Looks like Micro$not has managed to get some programmers on
    the KDE team.

    You no longer store your shortcuts in the Desktop directory because they
    are stored in $HOME. For that to work they fixed it so all your $HOME
    files and directories are showing up on the desktop as shortcuts. :-(

    I sure as hell do not need all my $HOME directories and files as
    desktop shortcuts.

    KDE Control Center is now spread through Task bar menu selections.
    You get to make several trips to the task bar to configure KDE on new
    installs, if you do not know about kcontrol.

    With kat and now kerry/beagle, kde control moved into the task bar and
    $HOME files/directories showing up as shortcuts, the Mandriva out-of-the-box
    experience is starting to suck pretty bad.

    Going to have to spend some time to see if I can get KDE working like
    it does in 2007.x

  3. Re: 2008 RC 1 ?

    Bit Twister writes:

    >On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:13:08 +0000 (UTC), lordy wrote:
    >> Anyone running it?

    >Good news, KDE loads pretty fast.
    >Bad news, Looks like Micro$not has managed to get some programmers on
    >the KDE team.

    >You no longer store your shortcuts in the Desktop directory because they
    >are stored in $HOME. For that to work they fixed it so all your $HOME
    >files and directories are showing up on the desktop as shortcuts. :-(

    That would be a total disaster. I have about 1000 files in $HOME.
    Idiotic. Please send in a bug report. That action will break huge numbers
    of systems.

    >I sure as hell do not need all my $HOME directories and files as
    >desktop shortcuts.

    >KDE Control Center is now spread through Task bar menu selections.
    >You get to make several trips to the task bar to configure KDE on new
    >installs, if you do not know about kcontrol.

    They were heading that way before. But at least you could still find the
    control centre. Again it is idiotic if what you report is correct. It is
    anti-useability.

    >With kat and now kerry/beagle, kde control moved into the task bar and
    >$HOME files/directories showing up as shortcuts, the Mandriva out-of-the-box
    >experience is starting to suck pretty bad.

    >Going to have to spend some time to see if I can get KDE working like
    >it does in 2007.x

  4. Re: 2008 RC 1 ?

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 15:58:49 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > That would be a total disaster. I have about 1000 files in $HOME.
    > Idiotic. Please send in a bug report. That action will break huge numbers
    > of systems.

    How do we know it a /feature/ instead of a /bug/ :-(
    After all, beta 1 and 2 developers should have found it let alone the
    Quality Assurance department would have caught such a wonderful /feature/.

    First solution which jumped to mind was create a .mystuff directory
    and put all my files/directories there. Dot_fns do not show up.

    I hate that solution because I would need to fix my login and xterm
    launches to jump to .mystuff. But that sucks when I want an xterm &
    in the current directory.

    > They were heading that way before. But at least you could still find the
    > control centre. Again it is idiotic if what you report is correct. It is
    > anti-useability.

    Well, it should make gnome users happy.
    Gnome has the same kind of anti-useability feature.
    Or at least ubuntu does.

    It is possible that Control Center was renamed to something else and I
    have not found it yet. I was chapped from the desktop explosion when I
    softlinked to my common directory and about 37 shortcuts flooded my desktop.

    I had yet to get my normal 33 shortcuts set.

    There just has to be a setting somewhere to stop the /feature/.

  5. Re: 2008 RC 1 ?

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:35:32 GMT, Bit Twister wrote:

    Ah, frap. It was my fault. Sorry.

    When I trying to keep all the Pictures, Videos.... dirs from being created
    I modified $HOME/.config to have

    $ cat $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs

    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/"
    # XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Download"
    # XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    # XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
    # XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
    # XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"

    No idea how I managed to get the line set as
    XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/"
    instead of XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
    which was the default.

  6. Re: 2008 RC 1 ?

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:35:32 GMT, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    > Ah, frap. It was my fault. Sorry.
    >
    > When I trying to keep all the Pictures, Videos.... dirs from being created
    > I modified $HOME/.config to have
    >
    > $ cat $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs
    >
    > XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/"
    > # XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="$HOME/Download"
    > # XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="$HOME/Documents"
    > # XDG_MUSIC_DIR="$HOME/Music"
    > # XDG_PICTURES_DIR="$HOME/Pictures"
    > # XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="$HOME/Videos"
    >
    > No idea how I managed to get the line set as
    > XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/"
    > instead of XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
    > which was the default.

    Phew, that's a relief. I was beginning to think I will be using 2007
    Spring until they release a fixed KDE! Or, dare I say it, begin to use
    gnome - which I hate with a passion .

    Lionel.

+ Reply to Thread