Disk Crash - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Disk Crash - Mandriva ; My SATA hard drive recently crashed. My /home directory is unreadable. fsck asks if it is a zero-length partition. Attempts to reinstall Mandriva Spring always choke at the point of installing MySql. This is not a CD-Rom error: apparently all ...

  1. Disk Crash

    My SATA hard drive recently crashed. My /home directory is
    unreadable. fsck asks if it is a zero-length partition.

    Attempts to reinstall Mandriva Spring always choke at the point of
    installing MySql. This is not a CD-Rom error: apparently all 3
    attempts were trying to install on the same block on my /var
    partition. I have run both fsck and badblocks on the partition with a
    result of no errors. I am going to back up data there and begin by
    deleting /var/mysql, and if that doesn't work, formatting the
    partition.

    After the crash, I booted into Windows XP and lost that as well.
    Knoppix can mount the XP drive although it calls it a "dirty boot" ,
    but running an upgrade with XP says that it is all too hard, and it
    would have to format the partition!

    My questions are:

    (a) What would cause a crash across both OS's? The dealer assures me
    that it would be software, but that doesn't make sense here.

    (b) What hope do I have of getting data off /home, and how? My
    previous backup software didn't seem to be working correctly, and my
    backups are about 2 months old. Knoppix 5.1 can't mount it. The
    Mandriva installer sees it as ext3, but can't mount it. For a
    reinstall, I am putting /home on a different partition.

    Doug (a.k.a. Murphy.)

  2. Re: Disk Crash

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:01:54 -0700, laidlaws wrote:

    > (a) What would cause a crash across both OS's? The dealer assures me
    > that it would be software, but that doesn't make sense here.

    Bad controller on MB, bad cable, bad drive, bad PSU. I wouldn't suspect
    both OS's happen to screw up at the same time unless caused by bad data
    from the drive in the first place.

    > (b) What hope do I have of getting data off /home, and how? My previous
    > backup software didn't seem to be working correctly, and my backups are
    > about 2 months old. Knoppix 5.1 can't mount it. The Mandriva installer
    > sees it as ext3, but can't mount it. For a reinstall, I am putting
    > /home on a different partition.

    It's not cheap, but you could contact companies that specialize in
    retrieving data.

  3. Re: Disk Crash

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:01:54 -0400, wrote:

    > (a) What would cause a crash across both OS's? The dealer assures me
    > that it would be software, but that doesn't make sense here.

    Unless one of the os's crapped on the other os's filesystem, the mbr,
    or the partition chain, it has to be hardware. As others have said,
    this could be bad power supply, bad ram, bad cables/connections,
    bad drive, etc.

    > (b) What hope do I have of getting data off /home, and how? My
    > previous backup software didn't seem to be working correctly, and my
    > backups are about 2 months old. Knoppix 5.1 can't mount it. The
    > Mandriva installer sees it as ext3, but can't mount it. For a
    > reinstall, I am putting /home on a different partition.

    If the data is worth it to you, don't touch the drive, and take it
    to an expert in data recovery.

    First make a backup of the filesystem. Using knoppix, run
    fsck.ext3, to see if it can at least make the filesystem mountable.
    If that works, copy what data, it can recover. If not, post back,
    with the exact error messages.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: Disk Crash

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:01:54 -0700, laidlaws wrote:

    > My SATA hard drive recently crashed. My /home directory is
    > unreadable. fsck asks if it is a zero-length partition.
    >
    > Attempts to reinstall Mandriva Spring always choke at the point of
    > installing MySql. This is not a CD-Rom error: apparently all 3
    > attempts were trying to install on the same block on my /var
    > partition. I have run both fsck and badblocks on the partition with a
    > result of no errors. I am going to back up data there and begin by
    > deleting /var/mysql, and if that doesn't work, formatting the
    > partition.
    >
    > After the crash, I booted into Windows XP and lost that as well.
    > Knoppix can mount the XP drive although it calls it a "dirty boot" ,
    > but running an upgrade with XP says that it is all too hard, and it
    > would have to format the partition!
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > (a) What would cause a crash across both OS's? The dealer assures me
    > that it would be software, but that doesn't make sense here.
    >
    > (b) What hope do I have of getting data off /home, and how? My
    > previous backup software didn't seem to be working correctly, and my
    > backups are about 2 months old. Knoppix 5.1 can't mount it. The
    > Mandriva installer sees it as ext3, but can't mount it. For a
    > reinstall, I am putting /home on a different partition.
    >
    > Doug (a.k.a. Murphy.)

    FWIW - I've not done anything with sata, but on my ide drive when I had a
    disk crash, I was able to retieve the data in the following manner:

    1) install new ide drive
    2) boot Live CD
    3) copy an image of the partition to a file:
    dd if=/dev/hda5 of=filetosavetoonnewdrive conv=noerror conv=sync
    4) loop mount the partition image file.
    5) recover data.

  5. Re: Disk Crash

    > (b) What hope do I have of gettingdataoff /home, and how? My
    > previous backupsoftwaredidn't seem to be working correctly, and my
    > backups are about 2 months old. Knoppix 5.1 can't mount it. The
    > Mandriva installer sees it as ext3, but can't mount it. For a
    > reinstall, I am putting /home on a different partition.

    Well you can Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software a file and
    partition recovery utility which recovers the lost data from any type
    of logical crash like accidental format, data lost due to software
    malfunction, viruses or even sabotage.
    Download the demo to try the software: http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm
    If your hard drive has suffered physical crash then for recovery you
    can contact data recovery services of Stellar Information systems
    Ltd.
    For more information visit: http://www.stellarinfo.com/data_recovery_services.htm

+ Reply to Thread