backup drive - Mandriva

This is a discussion on backup drive - Mandriva ; external 3.5" 80gb drive. Seems OK, system sees it and all, but when making a backup, it hangs. Would going to a smaller drive, say a laptop [2.5] 12gb drive eliminate my problem? -- ?Everybody's gotta price. No shame, it's ...

  1. backup drive

    --
    ?Everybody's gotta price. No shame, it's all a game, just ask it
    nice..........

  2. Re: backup drive

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 19:05:01 -0400, Dallas wrote:

    > external 3.5" 80gb drive. Seems OK, system sees it and all, but when
    > making a backup, it hangs. Would going to a smaller drive, say a laptop
    > [2.5] 12gb drive eliminate my problem?

    The size of the drive shouldn't matter. Lockups are usually caused by
    bad hardware, or flaky drivers. What are you running, to create the backup?

    When it locks up, are there any messages going to /var/log/syslog, or
    /var/log/messages?

    Install e2fsprogs and try running badblocks on the device.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins