Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only File System - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only File System - Mandriva ; I am running Mandriva 2007. I formated the second partition on the 320 GB FreeAgent drive as ext3 using Mandriva Control Center. The partition is mounted as /mnt/freeagent with the following permissions: drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Sep 3 16:21 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only File System

  1. Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only File System

    I am running Mandriva 2007. I formated the second partition on the 320 GB
    FreeAgent drive as ext3 using Mandriva Control Center. The partition is
    mounted as /mnt/freeagent with the following permissions:
    drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Sep 3 16:21 /mnt/freeagent/
    The fstab entry:
    /dev/sdb2 /mnt/freeagent ext3 defaults 0 0
    The output of the mount command:
    /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/freeagent type ext3 (rw)

    When I try to create a file I get the following output as root:
    [root@pavilion freeagent]# touch newfile
    touch: cannot touch `newfile': Read-only file system

    I want to make the partition rw such that any use can make backup files on
    it.


  2. Re: Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only File System

    On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:20:17 -0400, BW wrote:

    > I am running Mandriva 2007. I formated the second partition on the 320 GB
    > FreeAgent drive as ext3 using Mandriva Control Center. The partition is
    > mounted as /mnt/freeagent with the following permissions:
    > drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Sep 3 16:21 /mnt/freeagent/
    > The fstab entry:
    > /dev/sdb2 /mnt/freeagent ext3 defaults 0 0
    > The output of the mount command:
    > /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/freeagent type ext3 (rw)
    >
    > When I try to create a file I get the following output as root:
    > [root@pavilion freeagent]# touch newfile
    > touch: cannot touch `newfile': Read-only file system
    >
    > I want to make the partition rw such that any use can make backup files on
    > it.


    I purchased a usb external drive also for the same purpose. It came formatted
    for NTFS and I couldn't write to it either, so I formatted it to FAT32. I use
    Linux on my box and my wife still uses Windows on the box she uses. We use the
    drive to backup both boxes and store personal files. Either one of us can plug
    it in and add updates at selected times this way. Linux recognizes the drive
    as a usb storage device the same way it does a usb memory fob. Windows
    recognizes it as another drive. Both are able to write to it then.

    HTH
    --
    Registered linux user 297687
    http://counter.li.org


  3. Re: Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only File System

    RLM wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:20:17 -0400, BW wrote:
    >
    >> I am running Mandriva 2007. I formated the second partition on the 320
    >> GB
    >> FreeAgent drive as ext3 using Mandriva Control Center. The partition is
    >> mounted as /mnt/freeagent with the following permissions:
    >> drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Sep 3 16:21 /mnt/freeagent/
    >> The fstab entry:
    >> /dev/sdb2 /mnt/freeagent ext3 defaults 0 0
    >> The output of the mount command:
    >> /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/freeagent type ext3 (rw)
    >>
    >> When I try to create a file I get the following output as root:
    >> [root@pavilion freeagent]# touch newfile
    >> touch: cannot touch `newfile': Read-only file system
    >>
    >> I want to make the partition rw such that any use can make backup files
    >> on it.

    >
    > I purchased a usb external drive also for the same purpose. It came
    > formatted for NTFS and I couldn't write to it either, so I formatted it to
    > FAT32. I use Linux on my box and my wife still uses Windows on the box she
    > uses. We use the drive to backup both boxes and store personal files.
    > Either one of us can plug it in and add updates at selected times this
    > way. Linux recognizes the drive as a usb storage device the same way it
    > does a usb memory fob. Windows recognizes it as another drive. Both are
    > able to write to it then.

    Are you saying that you have formatted it the same way that I have and don't
    have the problem? Did you leave an NTFS partition on the drive that
    Windows uses and add an ext3 one like I did?

  4. Re: Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only File System

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 07:29:01 -0400, BW wrote:

    > RLM wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:20:17 -0400, BW wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running Mandriva 2007. I formated the second partition on the 320
    >>> GB
    >>> FreeAgent drive as ext3 using Mandriva Control Center. The partition is
    >>> mounted as /mnt/freeagent with the following permissions:
    >>> drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 Sep 3 16:21 /mnt/freeagent/
    >>> The fstab entry:
    >>> /dev/sdb2 /mnt/freeagent ext3 defaults 0 0
    >>> The output of the mount command:
    >>> /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/freeagent type ext3 (rw)
    >>>
    >>> When I try to create a file I get the following output as root:
    >>> [root@pavilion freeagent]# touch newfile
    >>> touch: cannot touch `newfile': Read-only file system
    >>>
    >>> I want to make the partition rw such that any use can make backup files
    >>> on it.

    >>
    >> I purchased a usb external drive also for the same purpose. It came
    >> formatted for NTFS and I couldn't write to it either, so I formatted it to
    >> FAT32. I use Linux on my box and my wife still uses Windows on the box she
    >> uses. We use the drive to backup both boxes and store personal files.
    >> Either one of us can plug it in and add updates at selected times this
    >> way. Linux recognizes the drive as a usb storage device the same way it
    >> does a usb memory fob. Windows recognizes it as another drive. Both are
    >> able to write to it then.

    > Are you saying that you have formatted it the same way that I have and don't
    > have the problem? Did you leave an NTFS partition on the drive that
    > Windows uses and add an ext3 one like I did?


    No I didn't do it as you have. I tried the same things you have.

    I formatted the whole drive as FAT32 only. We store mostly family
    pictures and personal files. But every thing is readable this way.


  5. Re: Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only FileSystem

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:26:33 -0400, RLM wrote:

    > I formatted the whole drive as FAT32 only. We store mostly family
    > pictures and personal files. But every thing is readable this way.


    Set the fstab entry to be similar to
    /dev/sda1 mnt/backup vfat defaults,users,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0

    The users option allows anyone to mount it.
    The umask=0 sets everything in the file system to world writeable,
    so anyone can write to it.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  6. Solved - Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports Read Only File System

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:26:33 -0400, RLM wrote:
    >
    >> I formatted the whole drive as FAT32 only. We store mostly family
    >> pictures and personal files. But every thing is readable this way.

    >
    > Set the fstab entry to be similar to
    > /dev/sda1 mnt/backup vfat
    > defaults,users,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850 0 0
    >
    > The users option allows anyone to mount it.
    > The umask=0 sets everything in the file system to world writeable,
    > so anyone can write to it.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >

    That did the trick!
    My fstab entry for the partition is now:
    /dev/sdb2 /mnt/freeagent ext3 defaults,users,umask=0 0 0

  7. Re: Solved - Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive Shows rw but Reports ReadOnly File System

    On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:24:14 -0400, BW wrote:
    > That did the trick!
    > My fstab entry for the partition is now:
    > /dev/sdb2 /mnt/freeagent ext3 defaults,users,umask=0 0 0


    I wasn't paying enough attention. The umask=0 option is
    ignored for ext3 filesystems. It's useful on vfat/ntfs
    filesystems.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

+ Reply to Thread