[gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED - Mandriva

This is a discussion on [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED - Mandriva ; A month or so ago, I mentioned that I'd lost the main menu in gvim, and all I had was the toolbar. Some of you pitched in with various ideas concerning the state of gvimrc files. This weekend I noticed ...

  1. [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    A month or so ago, I mentioned that I'd lost the main menu in gvim, and
    all I had was the toolbar. Some of you pitched in with various ideas
    concerning the state of gvimrc files.

    This weekend I noticed that if I ran gvim as *root*, I had the menu.
    And the toolbar below it.

    But never when I ran as blinky.

    So I went looking for a difference between root's gvimc and blinky's.

    Nothing there to explain it.

    Here comes the AHA!

    Then, looking at a gvim window as blinky, I dragged the toolbar...and
    the menu was behind it. Somehow it had got positioned so that it
    *covered* the menu.

    But this uncovered a gvim bug.

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...vim/+bug/23880

    When you undock the menu, you can't redock it. It just sits there on
    the screen, detached from gvim, all on its own -- and you can't move it
    at all. Anywhere. Not a bit.

    So now I had my long-lost gvim menu back; but my toolbar was off in
    outer space. And shutting down and restarting gvim didn't make any
    difference -- the menu came up in that same unattached place and
    wouldn't be moved.

    The simple fix in that bug report - removing a file in ~/.gnome2 - did
    the trick. Next time I ran gvim the toolbar was docked again -- and the
    menu was above it just like it should be.

    THE HAPPY END.

    (I noticed in a terminal window from which I ran gvim the bonobo errors,
    which give me some new language to Google on, and that bug page came up
    as the first hit on bonobo_dock_item_get_orientation .)

    So this is for the archive for the next guy that this happens to.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  2. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    On 4 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >This weekend I noticed that if I ran gvim as *root*, I had the menu.
    >And the toolbar below it.
    >
    >But never when I ran as blinky.
    >
    >So I went looking for a difference between root's gvimc and blinky's.

    Custom verses global settings - some hidden file in the home directories.

    >Nothing there to explain it.
    >
    >Here comes the AHA!
    >
    >Then, looking at a gvim window as blinky, I dragged the toolbar...and
    >the menu was behind it. Somehow it had got positioned so that it
    >*covered* the menu.

    I thought sharks had a great sense of smell and were able to detect
    these kinds of things a mile away.

    >When you undock the menu, you can't redock it. It just sits there on
    >the screen, detached from gvim, all on its own -- and you can't move it
    >at all. Anywhere. Not a bit.

    That sounds as if it's now under the control of the window manager,
    which is rather bizarre. You might try a 'ps afuwx' and see what is
    the parent processes of the toolbar and menu - assuming you can identify
    them in the listing.

    >The simple fix in that bug report - removing a file in ~/.gnome2 - did
    >the trick. Next time I ran gvim the toolbar was docked again -- and the
    >menu was above it just like it should be.

    Not totally unheard of. We didn't get to the point in the
    troubleshooting of trying to see what happens when you create a "new"
    user and try things there, but that is one of the steps normally tried.

    >THE HAPPY END.

    and as our fish swims gracefully into the sunset...

    Old guy

  3. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 4 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in
    > article
    >, Blinky the Shark
    >wrote:
    >
    >>This weekend I noticed that if I ran gvim as *root*, I had the menu.
    >>And the toolbar below it.
    >>
    >>But never when I ran as blinky.
    >>
    >>So I went looking for a difference between root's gvimc and blinky's.

    > Custom verses global settings - some hidden file in the home
    > directories.
    >
    >>Nothing there to explain it.
    >>
    >>Here comes the AHA!
    >>
    >>Then, looking at a gvim window as blinky, I dragged the toolbar...and
    >>the menu was behind it. Somehow it had got positioned so that it
    >>*covered* the menu.

    > I thought sharks had a great sense of smell and were able to detect
    > these kinds of things a mile away.

    My sharky sense let me down that time, hugely.

    C'mon...who'd think to look BEHIND the flippin' toolbar?

    >>When you undock the menu, you can't redock it. It just sits there on
    >>the screen, detached from gvim, all on its own -- and you can't move
    >>it at all. Anywhere. Not a bit.

    > That sounds as if it's now under the control of the window manager,
    > which is rather bizarre. You might try a 'ps afuwx' and see what is
    > the parent processes of the toolbar and menu - assuming you can
    > identify them in the listing.

    I just did that command and sent it to a file. Then I started gvim,
    screwed up the toolbar (knowing how to fix it, now! ), ran that ps
    again and output it to a second file. Looking at the two in gvim with
    diff, the gvim process itself shows, but nothing related to it.

    >>The simple fix in that bug report - removing a file in ~/.gnome2 - did
    >>the trick. Next time I ran gvim the toolbar was docked again -- and
    >>the menu was above it just like it should be.

    > Not totally unheard of. We didn't get to the point in the
    > troubleshooting of trying to see what happens when you create a "new"
    > user and try things there, but that is one of the steps normally
    > tried.
    >
    >>THE HAPPY END.

    > and as our fish swims gracefully into the sunset...

    ....dreaming of feeding frenzies to come, and the taste of fresh surfer
    sushi, the sun makes a sizzling sound as it touches the ocean's horizon
    and with that billowing cloud of steam the evening slowly begins turning
    into night.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  4. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    On 5 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> I thought sharks had a great sense of smell and were able to detect
    >> these kinds of things a mile away.

    >My sharky sense let me down that time, hugely.

    I guess there was no Eau-de-Surfer on it - much harder that way

    >C'mon...who'd think to look BEHIND the flippin' toolbar?

    Actually, I run into that problem by having $BIG_NUMBER of xterms
    scattered all over the desktop. I'm running some extra stuff at the
    moment, so it's a bear finding things. You know it's bad when you have
    to move one of the terminals to find the desktop so that you can use a
    desktop menu to 'tile' the crap you have running on this window so you
    can find something.

    [compton ~]$ users | wc -w
    42
    [compton ~]$

    That's 34 xterms on a six-panel desktop, and 7 exported to my wife's
    system across the room. I want a bigger monitor, but you-know-who has
    put her foot down.

    >> You might try a 'ps afuwx' and see what is the parent processes of
    >> the toolbar and menu - assuming you can identify them in the listing.

    >I just did that command and sent it to a file. Then I started gvim,
    >screwed up the toolbar (knowing how to fix it, now! ), ran that ps
    >again and output it to a second file. Looking at the two in gvim with
    >diff, the gvim process itself shows, but nothing related to it.

    Did you then kill gvim and restart it with the b0rken arrangement?
    I don't have the Gnome or KDE desktops (I've only got 256 Megs of RAM
    on this system), so I can't try it here.

    >> and as our fish swims gracefully into the sunset...

    >...dreaming of feeding frenzies to come, and the taste of fresh surfer
    >sushi, the sun makes a sizzling sound as it touches the ocean's horizon
    >and with that billowing cloud of steam the evening slowly begins turning
    >into night.

    Boy, talk about a bunch of cliche's - Looney Toons was never that bad,
    even when they were parodying the late 1930s movies.

    Old guy

  5. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 5 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    >, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>Moe Trin wrote:

    >>> I thought sharks had a great sense of smell and were able to detect
    >>> these kinds of things a mile away.

    >>My sharky sense let me down that time, hugely.

    > I guess there was no Eau-de-Surfer on it - much harder that way
    >
    >>C'mon...who'd think to look BEHIND the flippin' toolbar?

    > Actually, I run into that problem by having $BIG_NUMBER of xterms
    > scattered all over the desktop. I'm running some extra stuff at the
    > moment, so it's a bear finding things. You know it's bad when you have
    > to move one of the terminals to find the desktop so that you can use a
    > desktop menu to 'tile' the crap you have running on this window so you
    > can find something.
    >
    > [compton ~]$ users | wc -w
    > 42
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > That's 34 xterms on a six-panel desktop, and 7 exported to my wife's

    Holy crap!

    > system across the room. I want a bigger monitor, but you-know-who has
    > put her foot down.
    >
    >>> You might try a 'ps afuwx' and see what is the parent processes of
    >>> the toolbar and menu - assuming you can identify them in the listing.

    >>I just did that command and sent it to a file. Then I started gvim,
    >>screwed up the toolbar (knowing how to fix it, now! ), ran that ps
    >>again and output it to a second file. Looking at the two in gvim with
    >>diff, the gvim process itself shows, but nothing related to it.

    > Did you then kill gvim and restart it with the b0rken arrangement?
    > I don't have the Gnome or KDE desktops (I've only got 256 Megs of RAM
    > on this system), so I can't try it here.

    Yeah, tried both a gvim shutdown and a kill from the prompt. I just
    played with that again. Still nothing to go on.

    But here:

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/menu_and_errors.jpg

    Left half: I'm writing this reply in gvim.

    Right top quadrant: your post, that I'm responding to, in slrn.

    Right bottom quadrant: some of the bonobo error lines that undocking the
    gvim menu throw - that's in the slrn window.

    And of course, there's the undocked and unmovable gvim menu sitting atop
    gvim and slrn.

    >>> and as our fish swims gracefully into the sunset...

    >>...dreaming of feeding frenzies to come, and the taste of fresh surfer
    >>sushi, the sun makes a sizzling sound as it touches the ocean's horizon
    >>and with that billowing cloud of steam the evening slowly begins turning
    >>into night.

    > Boy, talk about a bunch of cliche's - Looney Toons was never that bad,
    > even when they were parodying the late 1930s movies.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  6. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    , Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> [compton ~]$ users | wc -w
    >> 42
    >> [compton ~]$
    >>
    >> That's 34 xterms on a six-panel desktop, and 7 exported to my wife's
    >> system across the room.

    >Holy crap!

    A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in.

    >Yeah, tried both a gvim shutdown and a kill from the prompt. I just
    >played with that again. Still nothing to go on.

    Pity - was hoping that might show the solution. In X, objects are
    placed in accordance with some stored parameters. Thus, when I restart
    X, there are normally 20 xterms placed on the desktop just so, because
    I told the window manager to remember this is the way I want my desktop
    to look. I was expecting yours to behave in a similar manner, although
    thinking about it a bit more, this may be a memory setting or option to
    gvim.

    >> Boy, talk about a bunch of cliche's - Looney Toons was never that bad,
    >> even when they were parodying the late 1930s movies.

    Tex Avery, except that there's a cat (well before Sylvester) behind the
    big fish tank with a large claw hammer concealed behind his back>

    Old guy

  7. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 5 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    >, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>Moe Trin wrote:

    >>> [compton ~]$ users | wc -w
    >>> 42
    >>> [compton ~]$
    >>>
    >>> That's 34 xterms on a six-panel desktop, and 7 exported to my wife's
    >>> system across the room.

    >>Holy crap!

    > A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in.
    >
    >>Yeah, tried both a gvim shutdown and a kill from the prompt. I just
    >>played with that again. Still nothing to go on.

    > Pity - was hoping that might show the solution. In X, objects are

    Don't lose site of the fact (now snipped but existing still in the
    Subject header) that I found the solution. (In the form of the removal
    of a file that seems to do nothing but store the screen location of the
    toolbar that was covering the menu. But if you're looking for a way to
    fix the bug itself, that bug report in the link I provided is, as I
    recall, a few years old and unresolved.

    > placed in accordance with some stored parameters. Thus, when I restart
    > X, there are normally 20 xterms placed on the desktop just so, because
    > I told the window manager to remember this is the way I want my desktop
    > to look. I was expecting yours to behave in a similar manner, although
    > thinking about it a bit more, this may be a memory setting or option to
    > gvim.

    It's in that file that has to be removed to clear the errant toolbar.

    That, as outlined in the bug report, is ~/.gnome2/Vim .

    Here's what it contains right now. I just broke gvim for this :

    [Placement]
    Dock=Toolbar\\4,487,291,1\\Menubar\\0,0,0,0

    Remove it, and a new one is generated upon running gvim.

    >>> Boy, talk about a bunch of cliche's - Looney Toons was never that bad,
    >>> even when they were parodying the late 1930s movies.

    > > Tex Avery, except that there's a cat (well before Sylvester) behind the
    > big fish tank with a large claw hammer concealed behind his back>

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  8. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    On 6 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    , Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> Pity - was hoping that might show the solution.

    >Don't lose site of the fact (now snipped but existing still in the
    >Subject header) that I found the solution. (In the form of the removal
    >of a file that seems to do nothing but store the screen location of the
    >toolbar that was covering the menu.

    Oh, I caught that. What I'm wondering is the difference between the
    working and b0rken modes. What is in that file now (in the unb0rken
    mode)?

    >But if you're looking for a way to fix the bug itself, that bug report
    >in the link I provided is, as I recall, a few years old and unresolved.

    Wonder why no one fixed the problem (other than the fact that no one but
    us weirdos are using such a complex text editor)?

    >> In X, objects are placed in accordance with some stored parameters.
    >> Thus, when I restart X, there are normally 20 xterms placed on the
    >> desktop just so, because I told the window manager to remember this is
    >> the way I want my desktop to look. I was expecting yours to behave in
    >> a similar manner, although thinking about it a bit more, this may be a
    >> memory setting or option to gvim.

    >It's in that file that has to be removed to clear the errant toolbar.
    >
    >That, as outlined in the bug report, is ~/.gnome2/Vim .
    >
    >Here's what it contains right now. I just broke gvim for this :
    >

    >[Placement]
    >Dock=Toolbar\\4,487,291,1\\Menubar\\0,0,0,0
    >

    >Remove it, and a new one is generated upon running gvim.

    Does the "new" one have a '[Placement]' section? Does it have a 'Dock="
    line? What happens if you break gvim, then edit the file and 'correct'
    (however that might be) it. Does that fix the problem?

    Just minor curiosity.

    Old guy

  9. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 6 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    >, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>Moe Trin wrote:

    >>> Pity - was hoping that might show the solution.

    >>Don't lose site of the fact (now snipped but existing still in the
    >>Subject header) that I found the solution. (In the form of the removal
    >>of a file that seems to do nothing but store the screen location of the
    >>toolbar that was covering the menu.

    > Oh, I caught that. What I'm wondering is the difference between the
    > working and b0rken modes. What is in that file now (in the unb0rken
    > mode)?

    Unborken:

    [Placement]
    Dock=Toolbar\\0,1,0,0\\Menubar\\0,0,0,0

    >>But if you're looking for a way to fix the bug itself, that bug report
    >>in the link I provided is, as I recall, a few years old and unresolved.

    > Wonder why no one fixed the problem (other than the fact that no one but
    > us weirdos are using such a complex text editor)?
    >
    >>> In X, objects are placed in accordance with some stored parameters.
    >>> Thus, when I restart X, there are normally 20 xterms placed on the
    >>> desktop just so, because I told the window manager to remember this is
    >>> the way I want my desktop to look. I was expecting yours to behave in
    >>> a similar manner, although thinking about it a bit more, this may be a
    >>> memory setting or option to gvim.

    >>It's in that file that has to be removed to clear the errant toolbar.
    >>
    >>That, as outlined in the bug report, is ~/.gnome2/Vim .
    >>
    >>Here's what it contains right now. I just broke gvim for this :
    >>

    >>[Placement]
    >>Dock=Toolbar\\4,487,291,1\\Menubar\\0,0,0,0
    >>

    >>Remove it, and a new one is generated upon running gvim.

    > Does the "new" one have a '[Placement]' section? Does it have a 'Dock="
    > line? What happens if you break gvim, then edit the file and 'correct'
    > (however that might be) it. Does that fix the problem?

    I suppose yes: if I edited a broken one to reflect those values, gvim
    would probably open with the toolbar properly docked.

    Let me put them together for consideration, here:

    [joy] Dock=Toolbar\\0,1,0,0\\Menubar\\0,0,0,0
    [borken] Dock=Toolbar\\4,487,291,1\\Menubar\\0,0,0,0

    The menu should be the upper element, with the toolbar below it.

    So it appears that when docked (yay!) the second digit indicates the
    order of placement: first (0) menu, second (1) toolbar

    And when undocked (boo!) the values represent screen coordinates rather
    than docking order.

    Testing ----------------

    Aye. I just edited the unborked version, making this:

    Dock=Toolbar\\0,0,0,0\\Menubar\\0,1,0,0

    Swapping the second arguments for each parameter made gvim open with the
    toolbar first and the menu beneath it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:

  10. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    , Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >The menu should be the upper element, with the toolbar below it.
    >
    >So it appears that when docked (yay!) the second digit indicates the
    >order of placement: first (0) menu, second (1) toolbar
    >
    >And when undocked (boo!) the values represent screen coordinates rather
    >than docking order.
    >
    >Testing ----------------
    >

    >Aye. I just edited the unborked version, making this:
    >
    >Dock=Toolbar\\0,0,0,0\\Menubar\\0,1,0,0
    >
    >Swapping the second arguments for each parameter made gvim open with the
    >toolbar first and the menu beneath it.

    Be careful people, the shark is a lot smarter than he appears!

    Well Done, Sir!

    Old guy

  11. Re: [gvim] Missing Menu - SOLVED

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On 6 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva, in article
    >, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>The menu should be the upper element, with the toolbar below it.
    >>
    >>So it appears that when docked (yay!) the second digit indicates the
    >>order of placement: first (0) menu, second (1) toolbar
    >>
    >>And when undocked (boo!) the values represent screen coordinates rather
    >>than docking order.

    >>Aye. I just edited the unborked version, making this:
    >>
    >>Dock=Toolbar\\0,0,0,0\\Menubar\\0,1,0,0
    >>
    >>Swapping the second arguments for each parameter made gvim open with the
    >>toolbar first and the menu beneath it.

    > Be careful people, the shark is a lot smarter than he appears!

    Yeah, I...er...HEY!!!