kAffeine DVB signal variation - Mandriva

This is a discussion on kAffeine DVB signal variation - Mandriva ; If I boot 2006 and watch a DVB channel with Kaffeine it reports a signal level of 99% SNR 92%. If I reboot to 2007 spring free and watch the same channel the signal level is 75% SNR 92%. Which ...

  1. kAffeine DVB signal variation

    If I boot 2006 and watch a DVB channel with Kaffeine it reports a signal
    level of 99% SNR 92%.

    If I reboot to 2007 spring free and watch the same channel the signal level
    is 75% SNR 92%.
    Which one would you believe.

    The latter also has a tendency to pixelate.

    It's odd that the different versions of Kaffeine not only report different
    signal strengths but behave as if they are displaying different signal
    levels.
    --
    faeychild

  2. Re: kAffeine DVB signal variation

    on Tuesday 04 September 2007 13:01
    faeychild wrote:

    > If I boot 2006 and watch a DVB channel with Kaffeine it reports a signal
    > level of 99% SNR 92%.
    >
    > If I reboot to 2007 spring free and watch the same channel the signal
    > level is 75% SNR 92%.
    > Which one would you believe.
    >
    > The latter also has a tendency to pixelate.
    >
    > It's odd that the different versions of Kaffeine not only report different
    > signal strengths but behave as if they are displaying different signal
    > levels.

    if you want to join in.

    As far as I can tell the signal strength and signal to noise ratio in
    recent versions of dvb code are arbitrary indicators of performance, so
    comparison between different tuners is very difficult.

    It is surprising that the same hardware is giving different results
    (especially since the "same" kernel is used both times).

    It is very surprising that the results look different. Have you
    tried a 2008 beta?

    You might have found a bug. Are you willing and able to join a mailing
    list, to compile kernels, and to join in with the bug squashing?

    Then again, maybe you just imagined the difference. ;-)

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: kAffeine DVB signal variation

    Peter D. wrote:

    > on Tuesday 04 September 2007 13:01
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > faeychild wrote:
    >

    >> If I boot 2006 and watch a DVB channel with Kaffeine it reports a signal
    >> level of 99% SNR 92%.
    >>
    >> If I reboot to 2007 spring free and watch the same channel the signal
    >> level is 75% SNR 92%.
    >> Which one would you believe.
    >>
    >> The latter also has a tendency to pixelate.
    >>
    >> It's odd that the different versions of Kaffeine not only report
    >> different signal strengths but behave as if they are displaying different
    >> signal levels.

    > if you want to join in.
    >
    > As far as I can tell the signal strength and signal to noise ratio in
    > recent versions of dvb code are arbitrary indicators of performance, so
    > comparison between different tuners is very difficult.

    True

    > It is surprising that the same hardware is giving different results
    > (especially since the "same" kernel is used both times).

    Yes well The claimed levels during the channel scan phase of each version of
    Kaffeine are different, which surprised me. I wondered why my signal was
    "suddenly" down. Check plugs, etc. Kaffeine is NOT included in 2007 by
    default probably because of the streaming bug and obviously other issues
    too

    > It is very surprising that the results look different. Have you
    > tried a 2008 beta?
    >
    > You might have found a bug. Are you willing and able to join a mailing
    > list, to compile kernels, and to join in with the bug squashing?
    >
    > Then again, maybe you just imagined the difference. ;-)

    Indeed! Always the first line of inquiry -- confirm your delusions.

    --
    faeychild

  4. Re: kAffeine DVB signal variation

    on Thursday 06 September 2007 22:28
    faeychild wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:

    [snip]
    > "suddenly" down. Check plugs, etc. Kaffeine is NOT included in 2007 by
    > default probably because of the streaming bug and obviously other issues
    > too

    Hunt around the related directories on your favorite mirror. I'm
    using Kaffeine 0.8.3, but I've forgotten where exactly I got it
    from. :-( Probably the /backports/ directory.

    >> It is very surprising that the results look different. Have you
    >> tried a 2008 beta?

    Rc1 is out.

    [psd@live] /mnt/hd/2007/downloads-> find . -iname kaffeine\*
    ../official/backports/kaffeine-0.8.3-3mdv2007.0.i586.rpm
    ../official/updates/kaffeine-0.8.1-4mdv2007.0.i586.rpm
    ../contrib/cooker/kaffeine-0.8.3-3mdv2007.1.i586.rpm
    ../contrib/cooker/kaffeine-debug-0.8.3-3mdv2007.1.i586.rpm
    ../contrib/testing/kaffeine-0.8.2-1.1.206mud.i586.rpm
    [psd@live] /mnt/hd/2007/downloads-> rpm -q kaffeine
    kaffeine-0.8.3-3mdv2007.0

    --
    sig goes here...