Home Inkjet Recommendations? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Home Inkjet Recommendations? - Mandriva ; All printers sound great when you look at the specs, but I'd really like to hear from people with first-hand experience, good or bad. This is my home system, so I think a color inkjet would be the best choice. ...

  1. Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    All printers sound great when you look at the specs, but I'd really like
    to hear from people with first-hand experience, good or bad. This is my
    home system, so I think a color inkjet would be the best choice. Here's
    what I'm looking for:

    I print, on average, maybe 15 pages per day, mostly text. In draft
    mode, I'd like fast text printing with good quality text. When
    printing photos on photo paper, very good quality (doesn't have to be
    outstanding, just very good), speed not so important.

    Good Linux support and compatibility, obviously. I'm currently running
    Mandriva 2007, if that matters. Price US $100-$200, even a little more
    if it would be a major improvement. USB connection.

    IMPORTANT! Low ink cost, meaning low cost per page, especially for text
    using black ink.

    Not so important: Speed in highest-quality text and photo modes.
    Whether separate or combined color ink tanks. Ink cost per page for
    color photos. Bundled software, beyond necessary drivers. No need to
    handle paper larger than letter size (8.5" x 11"). Reconditioned, or
    even used, would be okay.

    Another question: would I be better off getting an inexpensive color
    laser printer instead, given my low-volume needs? I'll need to print an
    occasional color web page or photo-quality photo. Or maybe even a b/w
    laser printer for everyday and a cheap color photo inkjet?

    Would anyone be able to recommend any currently available printers that
    I'd be happy with? Or any printers, or brands, that I should stay away
    from? Any first-hand, or even second-hand, experience, or any
    suggestions at all, would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in
    advance to anyone who can offer advice!

    Adam
    --
    Email: adam seven zero seven at verizon dot net

  2. Re: Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    Adam wrote:
    > All printers sound great when you look at the specs, but I'd really like
    > to hear from people with first-hand experience, good or bad. This is my
    > home system, so I think a color inkjet would be the best choice. Here's
    > what I'm looking for:
    >
    > I print, on average, maybe 15 pages per day, mostly text. In draft
    > mode, I'd like fast text printing with good quality text. When
    > printing photos on photo paper, very good quality (doesn't have to be
    > outstanding, just very good), speed not so important.
    >
    > Good Linux support and compatibility, obviously. I'm currently running
    > Mandriva 2007, if that matters. Price US $100-$200, even a little more
    > if it would be a major improvement. USB connection.
    >
    > IMPORTANT! Low ink cost, meaning low cost per page, especially for text
    > using black ink.
    >
    > Not so important: Speed in highest-quality text and photo modes.
    > Whether separate or combined color ink tanks. Ink cost per page for
    > color photos. Bundled software, beyond necessary drivers. No need to
    > handle paper larger than letter size (8.5" x 11"). Reconditioned, or
    > even used, would be okay.
    >
    > Another question: would I be better off getting an inexpensive color
    > laser printer instead, given my low-volume needs? I'll need to print an
    > occasional color web page or photo-quality photo. Or maybe even a b/w
    > laser printer for everyday and a cheap color photo inkjet?
    >
    > Would anyone be able to recommend any currently available printers that
    > I'd be happy with? Or any printers, or brands, that I should stay away
    > from? Any first-hand, or even second-hand, experience, or any
    > suggestions at all, would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in
    > advance to anyone who can offer advice!
    >
    > Adam

    As for brands, I've had good luck with Epson's Stylus series. My current
    printer is an Epson Stylus Color 860 Parallel-port model, which is
    getting a little old as inkjet printers go, but still works well.
    HP inkjets are OK, I guess, but some eventually develop a problem
    picking up a single sheet of paper from the tray.
    Any inkjet printer will go through a little startup routine that
    includes it spitting a little ink into a reservoir to clear the heads,
    and that ink will eventually fill the reservoir and begin causing messy
    problems. Consider that if you're shopping for a used printer.
    All inkjet ink cartridges cost more than I think they should. HP
    cartridges include the print head, Epson's don't.

  3. Re: Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 21:57:03 +0000, Adam wrote:

    > All printers sound great when you look at the specs, but I'd really like
    > to hear from people with first-hand experience, good or bad. This is my
    > home system, so I think a color inkjet would be the best choice. Here's
    > what I'm looking for:
    >
    > I print, on average, maybe 15 pages per day, mostly text. In draft
    > mode, I'd like fast text printing with good quality text. When
    > printing photos on photo paper, very good quality (doesn't have to be
    > outstanding, just very good), speed not so important.

    Highly recommend you look for an inexpensive laser printer (sub $100) at
    office max, staples, etc. Brother and Samsung models work very well with
    Linux. We've been using a Brother HL1440 for about three years now on the
    original cartridge supplied with the printer.

    > Good Linux support and compatibility, obviously. I'm currently running
    > Mandriva 2007, if that matters. Price US $100-$200, even a little more
    > if it would be a major improvement. USB connection.
    >
    > IMPORTANT! Low ink cost, meaning low cost per page, especially for text
    > using black ink.

    Kodak has recently announced a line of 'all-in-one' units which they claim
    has an ink cost about 1/2 of what the competition gets.

    > Not so important: Speed in highest-quality text and photo modes.
    > Whether separate or combined color ink tanks. Ink cost per page for
    > color photos. Bundled software, beyond necessary drivers. No need to
    > handle paper larger than letter size (8.5" x 11"). Reconditioned, or
    > even used, would be okay.

    For an inkjet, I would look, probably, to two sources. Epson has excellent
    support (you might want to check avasys.jp/english first for specific
    models) - or the above mentioned Kodak all-in-ones. Both Kodak and Epson
    have online stores where they sell refurb stuff - I've had excellent
    results from both.

    > Another question: would I be better off getting an inexpensive color
    > laser printer instead, given my low-volume needs? I'll need to print an
    > occasional color web page or photo-quality photo. Or maybe even a b/w
    > laser printer for everyday and a cheap color photo inkjet?

    I highly recommend the cheap b/w laser and a decent inkjet. We've been
    very pleased with the Brother laser and our Epson Stylus Photo R320 - but
    ink is expensive for the Epson. A color laser will not give photo quality
    output.

    > Would anyone be able to recommend any currently available printers that
    > I'd be happy with? Or any printers, or brands, that I should stay away
    > from? Any first-hand, or even second-hand, experience, or any
    > suggestions at all, would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in
    > advance to anyone who can offer advice!
    >
    > Adam

  4. Re: Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    Adam wrote:

    > All printers sound great when you look at the specs, but I'd really like
    > to hear from people with first-hand experience, good or bad. This is my
    > home system, so I think a color inkjet would be the best choice. Here's
    > what I'm looking for:
    >
    > I print, on average, maybe 15 pages per day, mostly text. In draft
    > mode, I'd like fast text printing with good quality text. When
    > printing photos on photo paper, very good quality (doesn't have to be
    > outstanding, just very good), speed not so important.
    >
    > Good Linux support and compatibility, obviously. I'm currently running
    > Mandriva 2007, if that matters. Price US $100-$200, even a little more
    > if it would be a major improvement. USB connection.
    >
    > IMPORTANT! Low ink cost, meaning low cost per page, especially for text
    > using black ink.
    >
    > Not so important: Speed in highest-quality text and photo modes.
    > Whether separate or combined color ink tanks. Ink cost per page for
    > color photos. Bundled software, beyond necessary drivers. No need to
    > handle paper larger than letter size (8.5" x 11"). Reconditioned, or
    > even used, would be okay.
    >
    > Another question: would I be better off getting an inexpensive color
    > laser printer instead, given my low-volume needs? I'll need to print an
    > occasional color web page or photo-quality photo. Or maybe even a b/w
    > laser printer for everyday and a cheap color photo inkjet?
    >
    > Would anyone be able to recommend any currently available printers that
    > I'd be happy with? Or any printers, or brands, that I should stay away
    > from? Any first-hand, or even second-hand, experience, or any
    > suggestions at all, would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in
    > advance to anyone who can offer advice!
    >
    > Adam

    As far as brands are concerned, you probably cann't be much wrong by picking
    an HP or Epson printer.
    But if you drag cost (and quality: how long do prints remain without
    degrading), then I would recommend : for your text printing, choose a
    laserprinter (color ones start coming down in price, so that's up to you).
    But photo's: send them out to a printing lab which prints on real photo
    paper (I prefer Kodak over Fuji, because for its staying power).

    Herman Viaene
    --
    Veel mensen danken hun goed geweten aan hun slecht geheugen. (G. Bomans)

    Lots of people owe their good conscience to their bad memory (G. Bomans)

  5. Re: Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    Adam wrote:

    > All printers sound great when you look at the specs, but I'd really like
    > to hear from people with first-hand experience, good or bad. This is my
    > home system, so I think a color inkjet would be the best choice. Here's
    > what I'm looking for:
    >
    > I print, on average, maybe 15 pages per day, mostly text. In draft
    > mode, I'd like fast text printing with good quality text. When
    > printing photos on photo paper, very good quality (doesn't have to be
    > outstanding, just very good), speed not so important.
    >
    > Good Linux support and compatibility, obviously. I'm currently running
    > Mandriva 2007, if that matters. Price US $100-$200, even a little more
    > if it would be a major improvement. USB connection.
    >
    > IMPORTANT! Low ink cost, meaning low cost per page, especially for text
    > using black ink.
    >
    > Not so important: Speed in highest-quality text and photo modes.
    > Whether separate or combined color ink tanks. Ink cost per page for
    > color photos. Bundled software, beyond necessary drivers. No need to
    > handle paper larger than letter size (8.5" x 11"). Reconditioned, or
    > even used, would be okay.
    >
    > Another question: would I be better off getting an inexpensive color
    > laser printer instead, given my low-volume needs? I'll need to print an
    > occasional color web page or photo-quality photo. Or maybe even a b/w
    > laser printer for everyday and a cheap color photo inkjet?
    >
    > Would anyone be able to recommend any currently available printers that
    > I'd be happy with? Or any printers, or brands, that I should stay away
    > from? Any first-hand, or even second-hand, experience, or any
    > suggestions at all, would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in
    > advance to anyone who can offer advice!
    >
    > Adam

    I still use an Epson C60 (parallel or usb). I use it for everything from
    printing text to DVD covers. Never had problems that basic maintenance
    didn't take care of. The catch of course is the cost of the ink if you buy
    Epson brand refills. I have used Jettec refills for both the colour and
    the black cartridges. You need to reset the cartridge's chip when you do a
    refill. I use a Jettec device that allows the cartridge to be reset. My
    costs are pretty damn cheap. It seems harder to obtain the refill kits so
    maybe they are being squeezed out of the marketplace.

    Use Google and check sites for linux printing, cups et al. Good luck....

    Steve

  6. Re: Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    Thanks, Ray and Jim and 'none' and Stuart and Herman and Steve, for all
    your helpful advice! For inkjets, it looks like you all pretty much
    agree on going with Epson or HP because of the Linux support. I think
    I'll do the same thing that I did when I bought my new scanner in July
    -- decide on those brands, then see what models they make. ATM the
    Epson C120 looks like a good choice for an all-around inkjet, if I can
    find one locally -- fast for text, and adequate for photos.

    ray wrote:
    > I highly recommend the cheap b/w laser and a decent inkjet.

    That's certainly worth considering. I guess I have to decide pretty
    soon whether I'm going that route, because in that case I'd get an
    inkjet designed for photo printing right away, and also use it for text
    until I decide which b/w laser. I can live with a slow inkjet if I know
    it's only for a little while. I see several folks recommending Brother
    or Samsung lasers, for models supported under Linux. My parents have a
    Brother 5140 (b/w laser) and like it, and it works under Linux.

    > A color laser will not give photo quality output.

    Thanks! I wasn't sure about that. Looks like I'd better go with a
    general-purpose inkjet, or a photo inkjet and b/w laser. Big decision
    to be made there!

    steve wrote:
    > I have used Jettec refills for both the colour and
    > the black cartridges. You need to reset the cartridge's chip
    > when you do a refill. I use a Jettec device that allows the
    > cartridge to be reset. My costs are pretty damn cheap.

    Thanks for letting me know about that. With my current printer, I've
    been afraid to use anything but the manufacturer's own cartridges.

    Update: Well, whaddaya know, my printer that I thought had died is
    working again, albeit slowly, so it looks like I'm no longer in such a
    rush to buy a new printer. Here's the details, if anyone's interested.
    It's a Canon i550 inkjet -- I bought it before I was even thinking of
    Linux, but found a Linux driver on Canon's Japanese web site (no longer
    available). The manual says "It may damage the printer if you continue
    printing with ink out condition," and after doing just that for too long
    I got a "defective print head" error. (This printer has a separate
    print head.) I guessed that the print head was clogged, so I tried
    soaking it in a variety of solutions that I had lying around -- water,
    hydrogen peroxide, dish detergent, white vinegar, bleach -- not all at
    the same time. Apparently one or more of those did the trick. I let it
    dry overnight while leaving the printer's power and USB cables
    disconnected. A few minutes ago I plugged the printer back in, and lo
    and behold, it printed! Still, thanks for all your suggestions. I'm
    still planning to buy a new printer (or two), it's just not quite as urgent.

    Adam
    --
    Email: adam seven zero seven at verizon dot net

  7. Re: Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    Adam wrote:

    > Any first-hand, or even second-hand, experience, or any
    > suggestions at all, would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in
    > advance to anyone who can offer advice!
    >
    > Adam

    Of all websites I've used for printer issues, this one stands out:

    http://think4inc.com/

    Look for all the "Free Printing Facts" in the left-hand collum. They not
    only tell you things like page-count and page-costs on things, they help
    you avoid dirty tricks by manufacturers.

    Hope that helps.

  8. Re: Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    Adam wrote:
    > Thanks, Ray and Jim and 'none' and Stuart and Herman and Steve, for all
    > your helpful advice! For inkjets, it looks like you all pretty much
    > agree on going with Epson or HP because of the Linux support. I think
    > I'll do the same thing that I did when I bought my new scanner in July
    > -- decide on those brands, then see what models they make. ATM the
    > Epson C120 looks like a good choice for an all-around inkjet, if I can
    > find one locally -- fast for text, and adequate for photos.
    >
    > ray wrote:
    > > I highly recommend the cheap b/w laser and a decent inkjet.

    > That's certainly worth considering. I guess I have to decide pretty
    > soon whether I'm going that route, because in that case I'd get an
    > inkjet designed for photo printing right away, and also use it for text
    > until I decide which b/w laser. I can live with a slow inkjet if I know
    > it's only for a little while. I see several folks recommending Brother
    > or Samsung lasers, for models supported under Linux. My parents have a
    > Brother 5140 (b/w laser) and like it, and it works under Linux.
    >
    > > A color laser will not give photo quality output.

    > Thanks! I wasn't sure about that. Looks like I'd better go with a
    > general-purpose inkjet, or a photo inkjet and b/w laser. Big decision
    > to be made there!
    >
    > steve wrote:
    > > I have used Jettec refills for both the colour and
    > > the black cartridges. You need to reset the cartridge's chip
    > > when you do a refill. I use a Jettec device that allows the
    > > cartridge to be reset. My costs are pretty damn cheap.

    > Thanks for letting me know about that. With my current printer, I've
    > been afraid to use anything but the manufacturer's own cartridges.
    >
    > Update: Well, whaddaya know, my printer that I thought had died is
    > working again, albeit slowly, so it looks like I'm no longer in such a
    > rush to buy a new printer. Here's the details, if anyone's interested.
    > It's a Canon i550 inkjet -- I bought it before I was even thinking of
    > Linux, but found a Linux driver on Canon's Japanese web site (no longer
    > available). The manual says "It may damage the printer if you continue
    > printing with ink out condition," and after doing just that for too long
    > I got a "defective print head" error. (This printer has a separate
    > print head.) I guessed that the print head was clogged, so I tried
    > soaking it in a variety of solutions that I had lying around -- water,
    > hydrogen peroxide, dish detergent, white vinegar, bleach -- not all at
    > the same time. Apparently one or more of those did the trick. I let it
    > dry overnight while leaving the printer's power and USB cables
    > disconnected. A few minutes ago I plugged the printer back in, and lo
    > and behold, it printed! Still, thanks for all your suggestions. I'm
    > still planning to buy a new printer (or two), it's just not quite as
    > urgent.
    >
    > Adam

    I've found that rubbing alcohol does a good job of dissolving inkjet
    ink, if your heads clog again. Congratulations on getting your printer
    up and running again.

  9. Re: Home Inkjet Recommendations?

    Adam wrote:
    > All printers sound great when you look at the specs, but I'd really like
    > to hear from people with first-hand experience, good or bad. This is my
    > home system, so I think a color inkjet would be the best choice. Here's
    > what I'm looking for:
    >
    > I print, on average, maybe 15 pages per day, mostly text. In draft
    > mode, I'd like fast text printing with good quality text. When
    > printing photos on photo paper, very good quality (doesn't have to be
    > outstanding, just very good), speed not so important.
    >
    > Good Linux support and compatibility, obviously. I'm currently running
    > Mandriva 2007, if that matters. Price US $100-$200, even a little more
    > if it would be a major improvement. USB connection.
    >
    > IMPORTANT! Low ink cost, meaning low cost per page, especially for text
    > using black ink.
    >
    > Not so important: Speed in highest-quality text and photo modes.
    > Whether separate or combined color ink tanks. Ink cost per page for
    > color photos. Bundled software, beyond necessary drivers. No need to
    > handle paper larger than letter size (8.5" x 11"). Reconditioned, or
    > even used, would be okay.
    >
    > Another question: would I be better off getting an inexpensive color
    > laser printer instead, given my low-volume needs? I'll need to print an
    > occasional color web page or photo-quality photo. Or maybe even a b/w
    > laser printer for everyday and a cheap color photo inkjet?
    >
    > Would anyone be able to recommend any currently available printers that
    > I'd be happy with? Or any printers, or brands, that I should stay away
    > from? Any first-hand, or even second-hand, experience, or any
    > suggestions at all, would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in
    > advance to anyone who can offer advice!
    >
    > Adam

    You might try asking this question on comp.periphs.printers, though I
    don't know how much they know over there about Linux support. One thing
    I learned over there is that cheap inkjet printer cost usually
    translates to high ink cost, as many of the newer, cheaper printers use
    smaller cartridges. If your photo prints aren't necessarily for archival
    purposes, look for a printer with cartridges that are easy to refill. HP
    has some, and Linux support is excellent.

    I use a 4-year-old HP PSC 2110 that was purchased refurbished. The carts
    are easy to refill, and Mandriva supported both printing and scanning
    functions with no hassle.

    I would say, given the usage you outlined, that a B/W laser combined
    with an easy-to-refill inkjet would give you the best economy in the
    long run, though.

    TJ