Installing Nvidia Driver? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Installing Nvidia Driver? - Mandriva ; I have a new computer with an AMD Athlon64 processor and an an Nvidia XFX 8600GT graphics card. I've had nothing but Matrox cards in the past. I had no problem at all installing the 2007 spring Mandriva and using ...

  1. Installing Nvidia Driver?

    I have a new computer with an AMD Athlon64 processor and an an Nvidia XFX
    8600GT graphics card. I've had nothing but Matrox cards in the past. I had
    no problem at all installing the 2007 spring Mandriva and using it. I've
    installed all the updates, including the latest one for the 64-bit kernel
    and its stripped source. Now I want to install the proprietary Nvidia
    driver. I downloaded what I thought was the right one from the Nvidia site,
    but now I can't figure out where to go from there.

    I looked at the README and found that the things it said I should later
    remove/replace in the xorg.conf file aren't even there, which left me
    scratching my head. But I backed up xorg.conf and went ahead, in single
    user mode, following the instructions to enter "sh
    NVIDIA-linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run." That gets me nowhere, as it says
    there is no such file even though I'm in the directory containing it.

    There appear to be Nvidia drivers I could install from the update sources (I
    have the Powerpack version), but I don't know if these are the proprietary
    ones or which one to choose. The instructions on the Mandriva Club site
    appear to be obsolete.

    I must be missing something basic. Can someone point me in the right
    direction? I can usually follow directions if I can only find the right set
    of directions. TIA!
    --
    Gail Koontz Retired in my home state
    836 Mallard Rd. ... and loving it!

  2. Re: Installing Nvidia Driver?

    "Gail Koontz" wrote in message
    >I have a new computer with an AMD Athlon64 processor and an an Nvidia XFX
    > 8600GT graphics card. I've had nothing but Matrox cards in the past. I had
    > no problem at all installing the 2007 spring Mandriva and using it. I've
    > installed all the updates, including the latest one for the 64-bit kernel
    > and its stripped source. Now I want to install the proprietary Nvidia
    > driver. I downloaded what I thought was the right one from the Nvidia
    > site,
    > but now I can't figure out where to go from there.
    >
    > I looked at the README and found that the things it said I should later
    > remove/replace in the xorg.conf file aren't even there, which left me
    > scratching my head. But I backed up xorg.conf and went ahead, in single
    > user mode, following the instructions to enter "sh
    > NVIDIA-linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run." That gets me nowhere, as it says
    > there is no such file even though I'm in the directory containing it.
    >
    > There appear to be Nvidia drivers I could install from the update sources
    > (I
    > have the Powerpack version), but I don't know if these are the proprietary
    > ones or which one to choose. The instructions on the Mandriva Club site
    > appear to be obsolete.
    >
    > I must be missing something basic. Can someone point me in the right
    > direction? I can usually follow directions if I can only find the right
    > set
    > of directions. TIA!
    > --
    > Gail Koontz Retired in my home state
    > 836 Mallard Rd. ... and loving it!
    > Cocoa, FL 32926 gailkoontz@cfl.rr.com

    If you are using the Powerpack it should automatically get the NVidia
    proprietary driver for you. If not, install the NVidia driver from the club
    urpmi repository and it should work fine. Once installed you can configure
    it from the Mandriva Control Center or XFdrake at the command line.
    You need the exact kernel-source package for the rpm versions of the NVidia
    driver to work.

  3. Re: Installing Nvidia Driver?

    On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 16:00:39 -0400, Gail Koontz wrote:

    [...]
    > I looked at the README and found that the things it said I should later
    > remove/replace in the xorg.conf file aren't even there, which left me
    > scratching my head. But I backed up xorg.conf and went ahead, in single
    > user mode, following the instructions to enter "sh
    > NVIDIA-linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run." That gets me nowhere, as it
    > says there is no such file even though I'm in the directory containing
    > it.

    [...]

    Try - sh ./NVIDIA-linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/ <- get VOIP here!
    eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare preloads & sales

  4. Re: Installing Nvidia Driver?

    ERACC wrote:
    > On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 16:00:39 -0400, Gail Koontz wrote:
    > [...]
    >> I looked at the README and found that the things it said I should later
    >> remove/replace in the xorg.conf file aren't even there, which left me
    >> scratching my head. But I backed up xorg.conf and went ahead, in single
    >> user mode, following the instructions to enter "sh
    >> NVIDIA-linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run." That gets me nowhere, as it
    >> says there is no such file even though I'm in the directory containing
    >> it.

    > [...]
    >
    > Try - sh ./NVIDIA-linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run
    > Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)

    Gene has nailed it for "no such file." As root, run command
    echo $PATH
    and see what you get. The paths listed are the _only_ places
    the shell will look for commands for root. Unless you change
    your PATH variable in your shell's .somethingrc file (NOT a
    good idea), as root you will normally have to run a command
    in the current directory as ./command rather than as command.

    The idea is to make it difficult for root to accidentally run
    a piece of malware that may be lying around somewhere. Running
    with root privileges, malware can do much damage.

    The stuff mentioned for xorg.conf likely was for 2006 and earlier
    versions of the OS.

    You must have a stripped kernel source or kernel source installed
    for the exact kernel running when you use the NVIDIA installer. I
    hope you have better luck than I did with the full source. First,
    the file include/linux/version.h could not be found, attributed to
    failure to go through the config exercise properly. I did that.
    No joy. I then looked at the source code for an earlier kernel,
    found a version.h file in proper place, and used that, changing
    the kernel version to *15.mdv. Next, the NVIDIA installer complained
    about the RIVA config setting, so I changed the config to omit
    compiling that. Then it complained that there was a conflict with
    the nvidia FB, so I changed the setting to omit that. Still no
    joy. FWIW, while I did have to go through an abbreviated
    make menuconfig routine the last time I updated a kernel and
    nvidia drivers, this time 'round is more frustration than I
    have had in years. (Absense of some key symbolic links were
    a problem a few years ago; has not recurred recently.)

    I'm thinking I may have to compile a custom kernel and then use
    the NVIDIA installer against that kernel as configured, to get
    the nvidia drivers to work with the new kernel. But if I am going
    to go to that much trouble, I think I will wait until the multimedia
    version of the new kernel comes out.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --