Confusion - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Confusion - Mandriva ; It seems that "Browse Available Software" means just that: BROWSE I am able to install, etc....

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Confusion

  1. Confusion

    It seems that "Browse Available Software" means just that: BROWSE
    I am able to install, etc.


  2. Re: Confusion

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:23:59 -0400, Pete wrote:
    > It seems that "Browse Available Software" means just that: BROWSE
    > I am able to install, etc.


    Color me confused,
    you say "Browse Available Software" means just that: BROWSE

    Then you provide the conflicting statement that you are able to
    instlall, etc.

    Awhile ago, you could not do anything because you were just a user and
    could not install software.

    I asked you to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    and yet you still fail to provide any real information with your posts.

    What release of Mandriva are you running. Provide the contents of

    cat /etc/release

    Are you playing in the Software Management of the Mandriva Control Center?
    If not, give us the application or instructions to the application you
    are using.

  3. Re: Confusion

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:23:59 -0400, Pete wrote:
    >> It seems that "Browse Available Software" means just that: BROWSE
    >> I am able to install, etc.

    >
    > Color me confused,
    > you say "Browse Available Software" means just that: BROWSE
    >
    > Then you provide the conflicting statement that you are able to
    > instlall, etc.
    >
    > Awhile ago, you could not do anything because you were just a user and
    > could not install software.
    >
    > I asked you to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > and yet you still fail to provide any real information with your posts.
    >
    > What release of Mandriva are you running. Provide the contents of
    >
    > cat /etc/release
    >
    > Are you playing in the Software Management of the Mandriva Control Center?
    > If not, give us the application or instructions to the application you
    > are using.


    BT, I know you use the command line for software installation, so maybe
    you haven't explored the KDE menus for this purpose in a while. In KDE,
    if you click on the Mandriva Menu, then System, Configuration, and
    Packaging, you see "Browse Available Software." That must be how the OP
    got there. Ordinary users can use it to browse, but not install, and
    they get a notice to that effect. Perhaps he IS an ordinary user, but
    didn't establish a root password during install. Messy, very messy.

    TJ

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


  4. Re: Confusion

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 09:03:51 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    > BT, I know you use the command line for software installation, so maybe
    > you haven't explored the KDE menus for this purpose in a while. In KDE,
    > if you click on the Mandriva Menu, then System, Configuration, and
    > Packaging, you see "Browse Available Software." That must be how the OP
    > got there. Ordinary users can use it to browse, but not install, and
    > they get a notice to that effect.



    I hear where you are comming from, but, the OP complained about the
    popup about users cannot install software. I assumed OP wanted to
    install software. I gave instructiions on how to get there via MCC.

    Now when you read the Original post for this thread. He now indicates
    the Browse only mode allows him install access. I can only assume he
    has now logged in as root, in the gui mode, not a good security practice,
    and rpmdrake no longer presents the restriction and is complaing about that.

    > Perhaps he IS an ordinary user, but
    > didn't establish a root password during install. Messy, very messy.


    If you do a /usr/sbin/rpmdrake as a user you get the user popup message,
    if you do a /usr/sbin/rpmdrake as root, you can install software no
    password required and no popup.

    We cannot straighten out the OP's problem/head if he continues to provide no
    information as to release, if logged in as root or user and what is he
    doing to run what app. :-(


  5. Re: Confusion

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 09:03:51 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >> BT, I know you use the command line for software installation, so maybe
    >> you haven't explored the KDE menus for this purpose in a while. In KDE,
    >> if you click on the Mandriva Menu, then System, Configuration, and
    >> Packaging, you see "Browse Available Software." That must be how the OP
    >> got there. Ordinary users can use it to browse, but not install, and
    >> they get a notice to that effect.

    >
    >
    > I hear where you are comming from, but, the OP complained about the
    > popup about users cannot install software. I assumed OP wanted to
    > install software. I gave instructiions on how to get there via MCC.
    >
    > Now when you read the Original post for this thread. He now indicates
    > the Browse only mode allows him install access. I can only assume he
    > has now logged in as root, in the gui mode, not a good security practice,
    > and rpmdrake no longer presents the restriction and is complaing about that.
    >
    >> Perhaps he IS an ordinary user, but
    >> didn't establish a root password during install. Messy, very messy.

    >
    > If you do a /usr/sbin/rpmdrake as a user you get the user popup message,
    > if you do a /usr/sbin/rpmdrake as root, you can install software no
    > password required and no popup.
    >
    > We cannot straighten out the OP's problem/head if he continues to provide no
    > information as to release, if logged in as root or user and what is he
    > doing to run what app. :-(
    >

    I am the OP! I actually am a newbie.

    system/configuration/packaging gives two options. The first
    (to browse) produces a confusing message about no "rights."
    It is impossible to install ("apply")

    The second option is the way to go to install/remove.

    Thanks, and the confusion is all my bad.
    -Pete

  6. Re: Confusion

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:33:50 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > I am the OP!


    Yep, we know. :-D

    > I actually am a newbie.


    No problem with that. Pretty sure we all are a newbie about one or more parts
    of Linux and Mandriva.

    > The second option is the way to go to install/remove.
    >
    > Thanks, and the confusion is all my bad.


    No problem, just pay a little more attention to your posts before
    hitting the submit key.

    Do take time to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

+ Reply to Thread