Help: I am no longer administrator. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Help: I am no longer administrator. - Mandriva ; I am the only one using this machine and somehow I messed things up. I went to add software, and a dialogue told me I was a "normal user" and could do no more than browse. Any I idea where ...

  1. Help: I am no longer administrator.

    I am the only one using this machine and somehow I messed
    things up. I went to add software, and a dialogue told me I
    was a "normal user" and could do no more than browse.

    Any I idea where I went wrong, or what I messed up? Or where
    to fix?

    -Pete

  2. Re: Help: I am no longer administrator.

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 03:00:28 GMT, Pete wrote:
    > I am the only one using this machine and somehow I messed
    > things up. I went to add software, and a dialogue told me I
    > was a "normal user" and could do no more than browse.
    >
    > Any I idea where I went wrong, or what I messed up? Or where
    > to fix?

    Assuming you are logged in as pete (your user account), using the KDE
    desktop manager, and you clicked on
    System-->Configuration-->Configure Your Computer
    you should have been asked for root's password, not Pete's password.

    If the above is incorrect, then please read
    re-read your post and see what your post is missing if you need more help.

  3. Re: Help: I am no longer administrator.

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 03:00:28 GMT, Pete wrote:
    >> I am the only one using this machine and somehow I messed
    >> things up. I went to add software, and a dialogue told me I
    >> was a "normal user" and could do no more than browse.
    >>
    >> Any I idea where I went wrong, or what I messed up? Or where
    >> to fix?

    > Assuming you are logged in as pete (your user account), using the KDE
    > desktop manager, and you clicked on
    > System-->Configuration-->Configure Your Computer
    > you should have been asked for root's password, not Pete's password.
    >
    > If the above is incorrect, then please read
    > re-read your post and see what your post is missing if you need more help.

    It didn't ask me for any password.
    I did have passwordless login enabled.
    Oh ****.

  4. Re: Help: I am no longer administrator.

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 03:27:52 GMT, Pete wrote:

    > It didn't ask me for any password.
    > I did have passwordless login enabled.

    If you are logged in as Pete and no pasword was requested when you
    entered Configure Your Computer, then maybe you have added some groups
    to your login. Click up a terminal and do the command
    groups
    and show us the results. If it only shows pete, then I concure with your

    > Oh ****.

    Now if you are logged in as root, how sad, then I would not expect it
    to ask for a password.
    Click up a terminal and do a
    whoami
    if it shows root, then no pasword would be normal.

  5. Re: Help: I am no longer administrator.

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:00:28 -0400, Pete wrote:

    > I am the only one using this machine and somehow I messed
    > things up. I went to add software, and a dialogue told me I
    > was a "normal user" and could do no more than browse.

    Instead of selecting
    Menu/System/Configuration/Packaging/Browse Available Software
    select
    Menu/System/Configuration/Packaging/Install, Remove & Update Software

    You will then be prompted for the roots password, instead of just
    getting the warning that you are running as a regular user.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  6. Re: Help: I am no longer administrator.

    Pete writes:

    >I am the only one using this machine and somehow I messed
    >things up. I went to add software, and a dialogue told me I
    >was a "normal user" and could do no more than browse.

    >Any I idea where I went wrong, or what I messed up? Or where
    >to fix?

    You didn;t. You just have to log on as root. It is an EXTREMELY bad idea to
    run the machine as root even if you are the only user. However when doing
    sysdamin things you need to be root.
    su
    and then enter the root password when it asks you to. (You do recall it, it
    was the first password you were asked to enter when you installed.)

    >-Pete

  7. Re: Help: I am no longer administrator.

    > Pete writes:
    >
    >>I am the only one using this machine and somehow I messed things up. I
    >>went to add software, and a dialogue told me I was a "normal user" and
    >>could do no more than browse.

    >>Any I idea where I went wrong, or what I messed up? Or where to fix?

    >>-Pete

    Did you change the menu item?

    Go to Mandriva/System/Configuration/Packaging/Install, Remove Add
    Software and RIGHT click. Select Edit Item. Check that the "Run item as a
    different user" box isn't ticked. If it is, then did you put Petes name
    in there? Or tick the option and put root as the different user. It
    should then ask for roots password when you run from the menu.

+ Reply to Thread