how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel? - Mandriva ; Hi I am running mandriva 2007.0. If I boot other than nonfb the computer locks up after a random time. I have installed updated kernel, but the install did not create a boot option for the new kernel as nonfb. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

  1. how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    Hi
    I am running mandriva 2007.0.
    If I boot other than nonfb the computer locks up after a random time.
    I have installed updated kernel, but the install did not create a boot
    option for the new kernel as nonfb.
    I can't see any clue in lilo.conf as to how to create an entry for the new
    kernel as nonfb

    What do I need to do?

    Below is my current lilo.conf
    ----------------------------->


    default="linux-nonfb"
    boot=/dev/hda
    map=/boot/map
    keytable=/boot/us.klt
    menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    compact
    prompt
    nowarn
    timeout=50
    message=/boot/message
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht PROFILE=default"
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="linux-nonfb"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht PROFILE=default"
    image=/boot/vmlinuz
    label="failsafe"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    append="failsafe resume=/dev/hda5"
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-legacy
    label="linux-legacy"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd-legacy.img
    append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht"
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-15mdv
    label="2.6.17-15"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.17-15mdv.img
    append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht PROFILE=default"


  2. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    on Saturday 01 September 2007 09:40
    in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    Chris Roy-Smith wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am running mandriva 2007.0.
    > If I boot other than nonfb the computer locks up after a random time.
    > I have installed updated kernel, but the install did not create a boot
    > option for the new kernel as nonfb.
    > I can't see any clue in lilo.conf as to how to create an entry for the
    > new kernel as nonfb


    I wonder why you need nonfb.

    > What do I need to do?


    Find out why you need nonfb and fix it.

    Are you sure that nonfb makes any difference? It does not look
    like it does anything different to me.

    > Below is my current lilo.conf
    > ----------------------------->
    >
    >
    > default="linux-nonfb"
    > boot=/dev/hda
    > map=/boot/map
    > keytable=/boot/us.klt
    > menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
    > compact
    > prompt
    > nowarn
    > timeout=50
    > message=/boot/message
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > label="linux"
    > root=/dev/hda1
    > initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    > append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht PROFILE=default"
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > label="linux-nonfb"
    > root=/dev/hda1
    > initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    > append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht PROFILE=default"


    Change the links in /boot to point to the new kernel (and other new
    stuff) instead of the old stuff and rerun lilo.

    > image=/boot/vmlinuz
    > label="failsafe"
    > root=/dev/hda1
    > initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    > append="failsafe resume=/dev/hda5"
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz-legacy
    > label="linux-legacy"
    > root=/dev/hda1
    > initrd=/boot/initrd-legacy.img
    > append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht"
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-15mdv
    > label="2.6.17-15"
    > root=/dev/hda1
    > initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.17-15mdv.img
    > append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht PROFILE=default"


    You could add a new stanza for vmlinuz-2.6.17-15mdv-nofb (and rerun lilo)
    but I don't see that it would do anything real for you.


    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

  3. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    Peter D. wrote:
    > on Saturday 01 September 2007 09:40
    > in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    > Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I am running mandriva 2007.0.
    >> If I boot other than nonfb the computer locks up after a random time.
    >> I have installed updated kernel, but the install did not create a boot
    >> option for the new kernel as nonfb.
    >> I can't see any clue in lilo.conf as to how to create an entry for the
    >> new kernel as nonfb

    >
    > I wonder why you need nonfb.
    >
    >> What do I need to do?

    >
    > Find out why you need nonfb and fix it.
    >
    > Are you sure that nonfb makes any difference? It does not look
    > like it does anything different to me.


    Booting nonfb omits support for framebuffers. The video drivers
    are bollixed somehow, but work as long as framebuffers are not
    invoked.

    If the OP will provide data on his video card, it might be possible
    to help him cure the problem.

    His LILO problem is a horse of another color. Your suggestion to
    change the symbolic links in /boot to point to the new stuff should
    work fine. How to make the change mark in LILo is beyond me, as I
    only use grub. I will leave that to others.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:40:54 -0400, Chris Roy-Smith wrote:

    > I can't see any clue in lilo.conf as to how to create an entry for the new
    > kernel as nonfb


    Add an entry like
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-15mdv
    label="2.6.17-15-nofb"
    root=/dev/hda1
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.17-15mdv.img
    append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht PROFILE=default nofb"

    and optionally change the default to
    default="6.17-15-nofb"

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  5. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 13:14:17 -0400, David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > and optionally change the default to
    > default="6.17-15-nofb"


    Arrgh. Sorry that should be

    default="2.6.17-15-nofb"

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  6. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Peter D. wrote:
    >> on Saturday 01 September 2007 09:40
    >> in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >> Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>> I am running mandriva 2007.0.
    >>> If I boot other than nonfb the computer locks up after a random time.
    >>> I have installed updated kernel, but the install did not create a boot
    >>> option for the new kernel as nonfb.
    >>> I can't see any clue in lilo.conf as to how to create an entry for the
    >>> new kernel as nonfb

    >>
    >> I wonder why you need nonfb.
    >>
    >>> What do I need to do?

    >>
    >> Find out why you need nonfb and fix it.
    >>
    >> Are you sure that nonfb makes any difference? It does not look
    >> like it does anything different to me.

    >
    > Booting nonfb omits support for framebuffers. The video drivers
    > are bollixed somehow, but work as long as framebuffers are not
    > invoked.
    >
    > If the OP will provide data on his video card, it might be possible
    > to help him cure the problem.
    >
    > His LILO problem is a horse of another color. Your suggestion to
    > change the symbolic links in /boot to point to the new stuff should
    > work fine. How to make the change mark in LILo is beyond me, as I
    > only use grub. I will leave that to others.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >


    Hi Jim,
    You seem to grasp my problem.
    The computer is one of those horrid things with a built in graphics card.
    The manufacturer is coy about revealing just what the graphics chip is
    (windblows drivers only supplied).

    MCC claims the following about the graphics:

    Identification
    Vendor: ‎Trident Microsystems

    Description: ‎CyberBlade/i1

    Media class: ‎DISPLAY_VGA

    Connection
    Bus: ‎PCI

    Bus PCI #: ‎1

    PCI device #: ‎0

    PCI function #: ‎0

    Vendor ID: ‎0x1023

    Device ID: ‎0x8500

    Sub vendor ID: ‎0xffff

    Sub device ID: ‎0xffff

    Misc
    Module: ‎Card:Trident CyberBlade (generic)

    Second issue, I'm happy to use grub instead. Lilo was the default during
    install. When I don't know any better I accept the default, after all the
    guys who wrote the install routine should know what they are doing.

    Thanks for the comments so far...
    regards
    Chris Roy-Smith

  7. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    Chris Roy-Smith wrote:

    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >
    >> Peter D. wrote:
    >>> on Saturday 01 September 2007 09:40
    >>> in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    >>> Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hi
    >>>> I am running mandriva 2007.0.
    >>>> If I boot other than nonfb the computer locks up after a random time.
    >>>> I have installed updated kernel, but the install did not create a boot
    >>>> option for the new kernel as nonfb.
    >>>> I can't see any clue in lilo.conf as to how to create an entry for the
    >>>> new kernel as nonfb
    >>>
    >>> I wonder why you need nonfb.
    >>>
    >>>> What do I need to do?
    >>>
    >>> Find out why you need nonfb and fix it.
    >>>
    >>> Are you sure that nonfb makes any difference? It does not look
    >>> like it does anything different to me.

    >>
    >> Booting nonfb omits support for framebuffers. The video drivers
    >> are bollixed somehow, but work as long as framebuffers are not
    >> invoked.
    >>
    >> If the OP will provide data on his video card, it might be possible
    >> to help him cure the problem.
    >>
    >> His LILO problem is a horse of another color. Your suggestion to
    >> change the symbolic links in /boot to point to the new stuff should
    >> work fine. How to make the change mark in LILo is beyond me, as I
    >> only use grub. I will leave that to others.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    >
    > Hi Jim,
    > You seem to grasp my problem.
    > The computer is one of those horrid things with a built in graphics card.
    > The manufacturer is coy about revealing just what the graphics chip is
    > (windblows drivers only supplied).
    >
    > MCC claims the following about the graphics:
    >
    > Identification
    > Vendor: ‎Trident Microsystems
    >
    > Description: ‎CyberBlade/i1
    >
    > Media class: ‎DISPLAY_VGA
    >
    > Connection
    > Bus: ‎PCI
    >
    > Bus PCI #: ‎1
    >
    > PCI device #: ‎0
    >
    > PCI function #: ‎0
    >
    > Vendor ID: ‎0x1023
    >
    > Device ID: ‎0x8500
    >
    > Sub vendor ID: ‎0xffff
    >
    > Sub device ID: ‎0xffff
    >
    > Misc
    > Module: ‎Card:Trident CyberBlade (generic)
    >
    > Second issue, I'm happy to use grub instead. Lilo was the default during
    > install. When I don't know any better I accept the default, after all the
    > guys who wrote the install routine should know what they are doing.
    >
    > Thanks for the comments so far...
    > regards
    > Chris Roy-Smith



    Had a "senior moment" motherboard manual claims that graphics is VIA PLE133
    I've had no success using urpmf / grep to find a video driver for this
    (perhaps I'm asking the question the wrong way)

    Chris Roy-Smith

  8. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    > Hi Jim,
    > You seem to grasp my problem.
    > The computer is one of those horrid things with a built in graphics card.
    > The manufacturer is coy about revealing just what the graphics chip is
    > (windblows drivers only supplied).
    >
    > MCC claims the following about the graphics:
    > Identification
    > Vendor: ‎Trident Microsystems
    > Description: ‎CyberBlade/i1
    > Media class: ‎DISPLAY_VGA
    > Connection
    > Bus: ‎PCI
    > Bus PCI #: ‎1
    > PCI device #: ‎0
    > PCI function #: ‎0
    > Vendor ID: ‎0x1023
    > Device ID: ‎0x8500
    > Sub vendor ID: ‎0xffff
    > Sub device ID: ‎0xffff
    >
    > Misc
    > Module: ‎Card:Trident CyberBlade (generic)
    >
    > Second issue, I'm happy to use grub instead. Lilo was the default during
    > install. When I don't know any better I accept the default, after all the
    > guys who wrote the install routine should know what they are doing.


    I did a quick Google for your card, and though I did not find
    your manufacturer's website I found things that suggest it is an
    old model with support for only VGA and VESA. It is unlikely it
    will support framebuffers.

    While the kernel should cope with inability to support framebuffers,
    you might have to go to a custom kernel and disable framebuffer
    support there to remove the freeze-up problem completely. Running
    non-fB may be the easier solution.

    Instructions have been posted on this thread on how to load a
    kernel non-fb using LILO. That should work.

    If you wish to change to grub, launch mcc (MCC - Mandrake Linux Control
    Center), click on Boot at the bottom of the choices, then on Set Up How
    the System Boots. You will be offered a pull-down to select which boot
    loader to use. If you select grub, it will be set up for you automagically.

    Then cd to /boot/grub and look at the contents of menu.lst. It is not real
    hard to figure out how to copy/modify stanzas for a new kernel, if you need
    more than the basic stanza that will be created when you install the kernel.

    Note that /boot normally has symbolic links config, initrd.img, kernel.h,
    System.map, and vmlinuz that point to the default kernel versions. Within
    menu.lst, the nonfb and failsafe stanzas are normally already set up for the
    default kernel vmlinuz. If you want it for a different kernel, you will have
    to create or modify a stanza for that kernel. Or, change the symbolic links
    to point to the kernel you want the non-fb and failsafe options for.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  9. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    Jim Beard wrote:

    > Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    >> Hi Jim,
    >> You seem to grasp my problem.
    >> The computer is one of those horrid things with a built in graphics card.
    >> The manufacturer is coy about revealing just what the graphics chip is
    >> (windblows drivers only supplied).
    >>
    >> MCC claims the following about the graphics:
    >> Identification
    >> Vendor: ‎Trident Microsystems
    >> Description: ‎CyberBlade/i1
    >> Media class: ‎DISPLAY_VGA
    >> Connection
    >> Bus: ‎PCI
    >> Bus PCI #: ‎1
    >> PCI device #: ‎0
    >> PCI function #: ‎0
    >> Vendor ID: ‎0x1023
    >> Device ID: ‎0x8500
    >> Sub vendor ID: ‎0xffff
    >> Sub device ID: ‎0xffff
    >>
    >> Misc
    >> Module: ‎Card:Trident CyberBlade (generic)
    >>
    >> Second issue, I'm happy to use grub instead. Lilo was the default during
    >> install. When I don't know any better I accept the default, after all the
    >> guys who wrote the install routine should know what they are doing.

    >
    > I did a quick Google for your card, and though I did not find
    > your manufacturer's website I found things that suggest it is an
    > old model with support for only VGA and VESA. It is unlikely it
    > will support framebuffers.
    >
    > While the kernel should cope with inability to support framebuffers,
    > you might have to go to a custom kernel and disable framebuffer
    > support there to remove the freeze-up problem completely. Running
    > non-fB may be the easier solution.
    >
    > Instructions have been posted on this thread on how to load a
    > kernel non-fb using LILO. That should work.
    >
    > If you wish to change to grub, launch mcc (MCC - Mandrake Linux Control
    > Center), click on Boot at the bottom of the choices, then on Set Up How
    > the System Boots. You will be offered a pull-down to select which boot
    > loader to use. If you select grub, it will be set up for you
    > automagically.
    >
    > Then cd to /boot/grub and look at the contents of menu.lst. It is not
    > real hard to figure out how to copy/modify stanzas for a new kernel, if
    > you need more than the basic stanza that will be created when you install
    > the kernel.
    >
    > Note that /boot normally has symbolic links config, initrd.img, kernel.h,
    > System.map, and vmlinuz that point to the default kernel versions. Within
    > menu.lst, the nonfb and failsafe stanzas are normally already set up for
    > the
    > default kernel vmlinuz. If you want it for a different kernel, you will
    > have
    > to create or modify a stanza for that kernel. Or, change the symbolic
    > links to point to the kernel you want the non-fb and failsafe options for.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >


    Thanks to all for the help. Things seem to be working (although I still
    don't see how the original nonfb set-up worked as the stanza looked the
    same as the normal option).

    Thanks again to all.
    regards
    Chris Roy-Smith

  10. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    Chris Roy-Smith wrote:
    > Had a "senior moment" motherboard manual claims that graphics is VIA PLE133
    > I've had no success using urpmf / grep to find a video driver for this
    > (perhaps I'm asking the question the wrong way)


    A Google for VIA PLE133 shows it as a motherboard by MSI, 133MHz, Pentium 3.
    The graphics card is identified as Trident Blade 2D/3D video accelerator.
    My attempts to get a user manual failed, as the button to click on delivers
    you to the initial MSI page where you are asked about language, etc. Not
    a good sign.

    WRT stanzas, My grub stanzas are below. Linux root is on my second hard
    drive (hd1) rather than the first (hd0).

    title linux
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sdb1 resume=/dev/sdb5
    splash=silent vga=788
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img

    title linux-nonfb
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sdb1 splash=silent
    resume=/dev/sdb5
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img

    title failsafe
    kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sdb1 failsafe
    splash=silent
    initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img

    BOOT_IMAGE changes from linux to linux-nonfb to failsafe. vga=788 appears only
    in the first stanza, but this, like the sequence for splash and resume may be
    trivial. The failsafe stanza has failsafe standing alone as well as the label
    for the boot image.

    WRT you card, with hardware this old, a generic driver for Trident Cyberblade
    should work. It just may not do everything that recent drivers/cards do.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  11. Re: how do I set-up non-fb boot for new kernel?

    on Sunday 02 September 2007 03:14
    in the Usenet newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandriva
    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:40:54 -0400, Chris Roy-Smith
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I can't see any clue in lilo.conf as to how to create an entry for the
    >> new kernel as nonfb

    >
    > Add an entry like
    > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-15mdv
    > label="2.6.17-15-nofb"
    > root=/dev/hda1
    > initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.17-15mdv.img
    > append="noapic nolapic resume=/dev/hda5 acpi=ht PROFILE=default
    > nofb"


    ^^^^
    That is interesting there was no "nofb" in the original post. The only
    thing that changed was the name not the "append" string. That is why
    I wanted to know if the OP really saw any difference.

    > and optionally change the default to
    > default="6.17-15-nofb"
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins
    >


    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

+ Reply to Thread