fuse problem - Mandriva

This is a discussion on fuse problem - Mandriva ; Thanks to several people here I recently managed to get read/write access to my NTFS partitions from mandriva 2007.1 by using the ntfs-3g module. The only minor annoyance is that on boot, I get a warning telling me that I ...

  1. fuse problem

    Thanks to several people here I recently managed to get read/write access to
    my NTFS partitions from mandriva 2007.1 by using the ntfs-3g module.

    The only minor annoyance is that on boot, I get a warning telling me
    that I have a 'deficient' version of Fuse, and suggesting version
    2.6.0 or later, except for 2.6.2 which has a problem. *According to
    the package manager, I actually have 2.6.3 installed.

    Also on system shutdown I get a "FAILED" status when it tries to send a TERM
    signal to Fuse.

    I downloaded the latest version of the fuse module and tried building it,
    but got an error from configure about fuse already being in the kernel, and
    that building was disabled.

    Any ideas about how to get rid of the warning, or replace the shipped
    version with the download version?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: fuse problem

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:10:21 -0400, Keith Willis wrote:

    > The only minor annoyance is that on boot, I get a warning telling me
    > that I have a 'deficient' version of Fuse, and suggesting version
    > 2.6.0 or later, except for 2.6.2 which has a problem. *According to
    > the package manager, I actually have 2.6.3 installed.
    > Also on system shutdown I get a "FAILED" status when it tries to send a TERM
    > signal to Fuse.

    Try installing the latest kernel (and source, or source stripped).
    urpmi kernel-source-2.6.17.15mdv kernel-2.6.17.15mdv

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: fuse problem

    David W. Hodgins wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:10:21 -0400, Keith Willis
    > wrote:
    >
    >> The only minor annoyance is that on boot, I get a warning telling me
    >> that I have a 'deficient' version of Fuse, and suggesting version
    >> 2.6.0 or later, except for 2.6.2 which has a problem. *According to

    > Try installing the latest kernel (and source, or source stripped).
    > urpmi kernel-source-2.6.17.15mdv kernel-2.6.17.15mdv

    I've done that, to no avail, I'm afraid. As I think I said in the OP, I
    tried to build the downloaded driver (v2.7.0) as well, but it tells me that
    it is disabling the build as the driver (v2.6.3) is already in the kernel.

    Any advice appreciated.

  4. Re: fuse problem

    On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 07:50:32 -0400, Keith wrote in alt.os.linux.mandriva:

    > I've done that, to no avail, I'm afraid. As I think I said in the OP, I
    > tried to build the downloaded driver (v2.7.0) as well, but it tells me that
    > it is disabling the build as the driver (v2.6.3) is already in the kernel.

    It is a permission problem, not a version problem, despite the error message.
    Create a file called /etc/fuse.conf with the line
    user_allow_other

    Change the fstab entry to something like
    /dev/hda13 /mnt/ntfs captive-ntfs defaults,noauto,user,allow_other,umask=0 0 0

    Add a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local with
    chmod a+rw /dev/hda13

    Obviously, change the device and mount point, as appropriate.

    Then you should be able to mount the ntfs filesystem, rw, from any userid.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    -- =