help makeing modem driver work - Mandriva

This is a discussion on help makeing modem driver work - Mandriva ; I have an lt wiinmodem in my server and I found a driver that will try to compile but it fails to finish. output from the build script > [root@diehardibm ltmodem-8.31a10]# ./build_module > > Lucent/Agere_Systems(AS) DSP chip modems (but Not ...

  1. help makeing modem driver work

> [...]

    > make
    > is the compiling command used with build_module.
    > To modify "make" invocation on your System, if desirable,
    > edit the build_module line below: MAKEE
    >
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:33:5: warning: "FORCEMODVERSIONS" is not defined
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:43:5: warning: "FORCEMODVERSIONS" is not defined
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:210: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:212: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:217: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:221: error: expected ‘)’ before string constant
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c: In function ‘lt_pci_find_device’:
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:261: error: ‘PCI_DEVICE_ID_ATT_L56XMF’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:261: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:261: error: for each function it appears in.)
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c: In function ‘SetLtModemInterface’:
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:684: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘inter_module_get’
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:691: warning: ‘inter_module_put’ is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:567)
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c: In function ‘init_module’:
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:714: warning: ‘inter_module_register’ is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:563)
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:715: warning: ‘inter_module_register’ is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:563)
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c: In function ‘cleanup_module’:
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:723: warning: ‘inter_module_unregister’ is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:564)
    > /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.c:724: warning: ‘inter_module_unregister’ is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:564)
    > make[2]: *** [/home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.o] Error 1
    > make[1]: *** [_module_/home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source] Error 2
    > make: *** [all] Error 2
    > make M=`pwd` -C /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/build modules
    > make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-13mdv'
    >
    > WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-13mdv/Module.symvers
    > is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
    >
    > CC [M] /home/diehard/ltmodem-8.31a10/source/ltmodem.o
    > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-13mdv'
    >
    > Checking for driver products:
    >
    > Compilation of lt_modem.ko failed,
    > Do assess whether your utilities are up to date as listed within 1ST-READ!

    Bldrecord.txt
    [root@diehardibm ltmodem-8.31a10]# cat BLDrecord.txt

    Together with information included in DOCs/
    this report may enable you to solve problems.
    But if further help is needed, send BLDrecord.txt to discuss@linmodems.org
    Please use the following in the email Subject Line:
    SUBJECT=Lucent modem, mandrake Mandriva Linux release 2007.1
    (Official) for i586 2.6.17-13mdv

    DISTRO=mandrake-release
    DISTR=mandrake
    DVERSION=Mandriva Linux release 2007.1 (Official) for i586
    ACTION="./build_module
    WHOAMI=root
    TARGET_CPU=i686
    Tue Aug 28 18:26:44 MDT 2007
    Linux diehardibm.local 2.6.17-13mdv #1 SMP Fri Mar 23 19:03:31 UTC
    2007 i686 Pentium II (Deschutes) GNU/Linux

    ------------ beginning SCANMODEM section ------
    assembled with compiler: 4.1.2
    with current System compiler GCC=4.1.2
    /usr/bin/gcc -> /etc/alternatives/gcc
    A /dev/modem symbolic link is not set.
    Path to lspci is: /usr/bin/lspci
    --------- lspci scan ----------------
    PCI_bus
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host
    bridge (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP
    bridge (rev 02)
    00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
    00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
    00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
    00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c900B-TPO Etherlink XL
    [Cyclone] (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP
    1X/2X (rev 5c)
    -------------------------------------

    A modem was not detected among the above PCI devices.
    This indicates that the modem, if present has a non-standard or ISA
    bridge.
    Please follow the directions in /dev/null for identifying the modem
    properties
    when booting under Microsoft Windows. Also access any documentation
    sources
    on yourchipset. Guidance can only be provided AFTER
    the chipset and/or its drivers have been identified.

    ======= PCI_ID checking completed ======
    Update=2004_Nov_26
    A PCMCIA CardBus is not detected on this System.
    The following information blocks just query some ppp support items.

    grep ppp /etc/modprobe.conf
    -------------------------------------

    -------------------------------------

    The following ppp related modules should be unpacked by root with:
    # gunzip PathTo/ModuleName.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/kernel/drivers/net/bsd_comp.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_async.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_generic.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/kernel/drivers/net/slhc.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/kernel/drivers/net/ppp_deflate.ko.gz
    /lib/modules/2.6.17-13mdv/kernel/lib/zlib_deflate/zlib_deflate.ko.gz

    On most Systems, this will driven by installing the wvdial.rpm
    and the package providing the KPPP graphical dialing interface.

    ----active COMM services are ------------
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50A:7A:E2:1D
    inet6 addr: fe80::250:daff:fe7a:e21d/64 Scope:Link
    This COMM mode should be closed before using the modem, or DNS services
    may fail.
    Be sure to read the section about ppp related modules and aliases in
    /dev/null
    Be sure to read the Ethernet section of /dev/null
    DEVPPP=crw------- 1 root root 108, 0 Aug 26 16:46 /dev/ppp
    A /dev/modem symbolic link is not present

    No devfsd.conf file found, indicated absense of the devfsd daemon package
    for device file system (devfs) symbolic link support.

    DEVFSD=
    ---- dmesg queries -------
    mandrake is not yet providing pre-compiled drivers for WinModems

    SMP=
    BASE=source
    # ===SETTINGS===
    LT_SERIAL_MODULE="lt_serial"
    LT_PROPRIETARY_MODULE="lt_modem"
    DOCS="1ST-READ CHANGELOG UPDATES-BUGS DOCs utils"
    LT_VERSION="8.31a10"
    CPU="i686"
    KPKG="kernel"

    FV=

    Next checking utilty versions, with ranges
    Version_min
    Utility or range for kernels
    name 2.2.16 2.4.18 Actual_version
    Gnu C 2.7.2.3 2.95.3-3.2.1 4.1.2
    Gnu make 3.79.1 3.77 3.81
[...]

  2. Re: help makeing modem driver work

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:22:34 +0000, chris gareau wrote:

    > I have an lt wiinmodem in my server and I found a driver that will try
    > to compile but it fails to finish.

    I wouldn't spend one minute trying to get a winmodem to work when you
    can buy real modems on ebay for almost nothing. Real modems don't need
    drivers.

  3. Re: help makeing modem driver work

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:22:34 +0000, chris gareau wrote:

    > I have an lt wiinmodem in my server and I found a driver that will try
    > to compile but it fails to finish.

    [...]

    ----- The ERACC Linux/Unix Standard Modem Document Follows -----

    You've asked a FAQ so I'm posting a "pre-recorded" message. It's only
    fair. :-) Your post is either about "what modem do I use?" or about
    the notorious "winmodems" aka "losemodems".

    If you need a new modem or are pulling out hair trying to get that
    "losemodem" working try MultiTech's MT56* line of external, hardware
    modems:

    http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Fa...MultiModemZDX/

    We've had great success with these at our clients that use *n?x and
    OS/2 systems. You can find these at several online stores as well as
    your local computer resellers. These are a mid-range price at a
    little over $100. FYI, "low end" modems are usually under $100 and
    "high end" modems are usually over $200.

    Another modem brand with which we've had success and that is less
    expensive than the MultiTech brand (for you cheapskate types :-) is
    Zoom. Specifically their V.92 Model 3049. See this URL:

    http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up...al_serial.html

    Seeking a fix for a laptop or notebook "modem"? Rather, get a standard
    PCMCIA/CardBUS/PC-Card modem. Zoom makes one:

    http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_pc_card.html

    The Model 3075 from that page has an onboard controller. Exactly what
    one needs.

    More information about modems can be found in the modem section of
    "The Unix Hardware Buyer HOWTO" at tldp.org:

    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Unix-Hardware-...cs.html#modems

    Read it, especially parts 7.3 and 7.4. Then go and start reading here
    for a gritty and humorous treatise of internal vs external modems:

    http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#internalmodem

    For information on many modems pre-tested with Linux see this:

    http://65.70.147.202:8080/gromitkc/winmodem.html
    *or*
    http://start.at/modem
    *or*
    http://www.devidal.tv/~chris/winmodems/

    Note that the above info *does not* just cover "losemodems". Many
    real modems appear in the "Big List" there. Real, external, serial
    modems will work pretty much anywhere a modem is needed.

    If you *insist* on using a "losemodem" then see this site:

    http://www.linmodems.org/

    May the PC gods have mercy on you.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/ <- get VOIP here!
    eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare preloads & sales

  4. Re: help makeing modem driver work

    Groovy hepcat chris gareau was jivin' in alt.os.linux.mandriva on Wed,
    29 Aug 2007 3:22 pm. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

    > I have an lt wiinmodem in my server and I found a driver that will try
    > to compile but it fails to finish.
    >
    > output from the build script

    [Snip.]

    >> The modem drivers will serve with Linux kernels beginning with
    >> 2.2.2, the current 2.4.nn series, and the 2.5.nn development
    >> kernels. However support was broken in the early 2.4.n-test series.
    >> When there is a Red Hat 2.6.nn release, AS will then update the code

    Your kernel version is unsupported by the driver. You need to find a
    newer version of the driver for the 2.6.* kernel versions.

    [More snipped.]

    >> Next checking utilty versions,
    >> Version_min
    >> Utility or range for kernels
    >> name 2.2.16 2.4.18 Actual_version
    >> Gnu C 2.7.2.3 2.95.3-2.9.99 4.1.2
    >> Gnu make 3.77 3.79.1 3.81
    >> binutils 2.8.1.0.23 2.9.1.0.25 2.17.50.0.9

    Other utilities you have are also not supported. How can you expect to
    compile this driver when your system is unsupported? Didn't you check
    the system requirements beforehand?

    [Snip the rest.]

    --
    Dig the sig!

    ----------- Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood ------------
    Ain't I'm a dawg!!

  5. Re: help makeing modem driver work

    Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood wrote:
    > Groovy hepcat chris gareau was jivin' in alt.os.linux.mandriva on Wed,
    > 29 Aug 2007 3:22 pm. It's a cool scene! Dig it.
    >
    >> I have an lt wiinmodem in my server and I found a driver that will try
    >> to compile but it fails to finish.
    >>
    >> output from the build script

    > [Snip.]
    >
    >>> The modem drivers will serve with Linux kernels beginning with
    >>> 2.2.2, the current 2.4.nn series, and the 2.5.nn development
    >>> kernels. However support was broken in the early 2.4.n-test series.
    >>> When there is a Red Hat 2.6.nn release, AS will then update the code

    > Your kernel version is unsupported by the driver. You need to find a
    > newer version of the driver for the 2.6.* kernel versions.
    >
    > [More snipped.]
    >
    >>> Next checking utilty versions,
    >>> Version_min
    >>> Utility or range for kernels
    >>> name 2.2.16 2.4.18 Actual_version
    >>> Gnu C 2.7.2.3 2.95.3-2.9.99 4.1.2
    >>> Gnu make 3.77 3.79.1 3.81
    >>> binutils 2.8.1.0.23 2.9.1.0.25 2.17.50.0.9

    > Other utilities you have are also not supported. How can you expect to
    > compile this driver when your system is unsupported? Didn't you check
    > the system requirements beforehand?
    >
    > [Snip the rest.]

    the driver I used was modified to work on 2.6 kernels, it started to
    compile so I am assuming the driver should work on my system if I could
    just get it to compile.

    all the other driver packages I tried stop early on saying my kernel it
    2 new

+ Reply to Thread