updating BIOS - Mandriva

This is a discussion on updating BIOS - Mandriva ; Hello one and all I just rebuilt my system after several parts failed. Now when I boot the system stops & waits for and F1 key press. It claims that I need to update my bios. OK how do you ...

  1. updating BIOS

    Hello one and all

    I just rebuilt my system after several parts failed. Now when I boot
    the system stops & waits for and F1 key press.

    It claims that I need to update my bios.

    OK how do you do it!

    Thanks for your time!

    dkr

  2. Re: updating BIOS

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:52:58 -0400, Doug Robinson wrote:

    > I just rebuilt my system after several parts failed. Now when I boot
    > the system stops & waits for and F1 key press.
    > It claims that I need to update my bios.

    Sounds like the cmos checksum doesn't match. If you really needed to
    replace the bios, you wouldn't even get that far.

    Try pressing del, or f1, or whatever the message on the screen says to
    press, to run the bios setup utility.

    Set the date, check that the hard drives are found, or are set to
    autoscan, and to use lba mode, etc, then save the changes.

    If the next cold boot has the same problem, then I'd check to see if
    the battery for maintaining the cmos needs to be replaced, of if the
    jumper used to clear the cmos has been left set.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: updating BIOS

    Doug Robinson wrote:
    > Hello one and all
    >
    > I just rebuilt my system after several parts failed. Now when I boot
    > the system stops & waits for and F1 key press.
    >
    > It claims that I need to update my bios.
    >
    > OK how do you do it!
    >
    > Thanks for your time!
    >
    > dkr

    Go to the website of the manufacturer that made your machine/MB
    and look for instructions.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: updating BIOS

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:52:58 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:

    Thanks for both your responses!

    It appears that the cpu I installed is unknown to the BIOS software.
    If I press the magic F1 key things proceed as normal and everything works.

    It appears to me that if I was to download a new version of the BIOS, I
    could not load it because that requires a windows OS. I do not have
    one of those and will not be getting one any time soon! I guess I will
    have to live with the extra step in the boot process.

    Thanks again.

    dkr

  5. Re: updating BIOS

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:01:54 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:52:58 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:
    >
    > Thanks for both your responses!
    >
    > It appears that the cpu I installed is unknown to the BIOS software.
    > If I press the magic F1 key things proceed as normal and everything works.
    >
    > It appears to me that if I was to download a new version of the BIOS, I
    > could not load it because that requires a windows OS. I do not have
    > one of those and will not be getting one any time soon! I guess I will
    > have to live with the extra step in the boot process.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > dkr

    You can download a free copy of dr dos from the internet. Usually, it
    takes a DOS boot.

  6. Re: updating BIOS

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:00:54 -0600, ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:01:54 +0000, Doug Robinson wrote:
    >
    >> It appears to me that if I was to download a new version of the BIOS, I
    >> could not load it because that requires a windows OS. I do not have
    >> one of those and will not be getting one any time soon!

    > You can download a free copy of dr dos from the internet. Usually, it
    > takes a DOS boot.

    Also, FreeDOS is free (hence the name) and works well for this purpose. I
    have performed several successful BIOS updates using it.

    A tip: many BIOS updates are quite small .EXE files (a few 100k's) and a
    basis FreeDOS floppy (you only need the sys files and command.com) has
    about 1MB free. So you can make a BIOS update floppy that is
    self-contained.

+ Reply to Thread