Usb sound Logitech speakers with sndcard built in - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Usb sound Logitech speakers with sndcard built in - Mandriva ; Hi all. I have a friend who has just become a noob with linux. Shes got smarts and sick of vista, has installed spring. She has a brand new kick ass box, but it came with Logitech exteranal sound system. ...

  1. Usb sound Logitech speakers with sndcard built in

    Hi all. I have a friend who has just become a noob with linux. Shes got
    smarts and sick of vista, has installed spring.

    She has a brand new kick ass box, but it came with Logitech exteranal
    sound system. Usb connected, the sound card is in the speaker
    enclosure. alsa's installed, but errors are given and I cant see her
    system. Its ends audio to dev/null on login.

    This is just the first post, anybody ever get this working? And if so
    any special hurdles to jump? I'm on the alsa site, reading about core,
    but it seems to say this shouldnt be a problem with "modern distros" so
    I'm wondering.

  2. Re: Usb sound Logitech speakers with sndcard built in

    Marlene wrote:
    > Hi all. I have a friend who has just become a noob with linux. Shes got
    > smarts and sick of vista, has installed spring.
    >
    > She has a brand new kick ass box, but it came with Logitech exteranal
    > sound system. Usb connected, the sound card is in the speaker
    > enclosure. alsa's installed, but errors are given and I cant see her
    > system. Its ends audio to dev/null on login.

    Have you tried running /usr/sbin/alsaconf ?

    What are the errors? If given, give them to anyone who
    might recognize them and help correct things.

    Perhaps try opening an xterm console and then running
    something that invokes sound (kmix. aumix, alsamix, or...)
    and _cut_and_paste_ the error messages returned.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: Usb sound Logitech speakers with sndcard built in

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Marlene wrote:
    >> Hi all. I have a friend who has just become a noob with linux. Shes got
    >> smarts and sick of vista, has installed spring.
    >>
    >> She has a brand new kick ass box, but it came with Logitech exteranal
    >> sound system. Usb connected, the sound card is in the speaker
    >> enclosure. alsa's installed, but errors are given and I cant see her
    >> system. Its ends audio to dev/null on login.

    > Have you tried running /usr/sbin/alsaconf ?
    >
    > What are the errors? If given, give them to anyone who
    > might recognize them and help correct things.
    >
    > Perhaps try opening an xterm console and then running
    > something that invokes sound (kmix. aumix, alsamix, or...)
    > and _cut_and_paste_ the error messages returned.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    thanks for writing we have partial victory

    using

    modprobe snd-usb-audio ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe
    snd-mixer-oss ; modprobe snd-seq-oss

    i found on alsa site
    and restarting sound did it now were tring to get the logitech
    headphones to work

    and figuring what to add to what file to make it load at boot

    still working oon it but this worked so far back with wahtever we find
    thank toy again

  4. Re: Usb sound Logitech speakers with sndcard built in

    Marlene wrote:
    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> Marlene wrote:
    >>> Hi all. I have a friend who has just become a noob with linux. Shes got
    >>> smarts and sick of vista, has installed spring.
    >>>
    >>> She has a brand new kick ass box, but it came with Logitech exteranal
    >>> sound system. Usb connected, the sound card is in the speaker
    >>> enclosure. alsa's installed, but errors are given and I cant see her
    >>> system. Its ends audio to dev/null on login.

    >> Have you tried running /usr/sbin/alsaconf ?
    >>
    >> What are the errors? If given, give them to anyone who
    >> might recognize them and help correct things.
    >>
    >> Perhaps try opening an xterm console and then running
    >> something that invokes sound (kmix. aumix, alsamix, or...)
    >> and _cut_and_paste_ the error messages returned.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > thanks for writing we have partial victory
    >

    > using
    >

    > modprobe snd-usb-audio ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe
    > snd-mixer-oss ; modprobe snd-seq-oss
    >

    > i found on alsa site
    > and restarting sound did it now were tring to get the logitech
    > headphones to work
    >
    > and figuring what to add to what file to make it load at boot
    >
    > still working oon it but this worked so far back with wahtever we find
    > thank toy again

    Ok ill try to write so people can read, those worked above, the
    modprobes, and sound came from the speakers, but it didn't the second
    time although kmix shows the devices, and even with levels set
    correctly it produces no sound, even after a sound restart in mcc

    so

    kmix from a terminal shows no errors
    any thing ?
    thanks again

  5. Re: Usb sound Logitech speakers with sndcard built in

    Marlene wrote:
    >> using
    >> modprobe snd-usb-audio ; modprobe snd-pcm-oss ; modprobe
    >> snd-mixer-oss ; modprobe snd-seq-oss
    >>

    >> i found on alsa site
    >> and restarting sound did it now were tring to get the logitech
    >> headphones to work
    >>
    >> and figuring what to add to what file to make it load at boot

    > Ok ill try to write so people can read, those worked above, the
    > modprobes, and sound came from the speakers, but it didn't the second
    > time although kmix shows the devices, and even with levels set
    > correctly it produces no sound, even after a sound restart in mcc
    >
    > kmix from a terminal shows no errors
    > any thing ?

    Load a mixer (kmix, aumix, alsamixer, whatever) and make sure the
    thing is not set for mute. Move the speaker balance control off
    dead center slightly.

    Next, I would try running alsaconf again, if you have not
    already tried that.

    Then maybe run /etc/init.d/alsa from a command line to see if
    you get any error messages.

    And maybe load mcc (the mandriva Linux Control Center), go to
    system, and then to enable/disable services. See if sound
    and/or alsa are listed and running.

    With respect to booting, cd /etc/rc.d/init.d and use ls or ls -l to
    take a look at what you find there. These are scripts that
    can be run on boot, or shutdown. You may have one called alsa
    and another called sound.

    Then cd /etc/rc.d. and run ls. You will see the init.d bin where
    the scripts reside, some run-command files such as rc.alsa_default
    put here as a convenient place, and directories such as rc5.d. Ignore
    the scripts for the moment; they mostly deal with unusual circumstances
    or tinkering you likely will not need.

    Do an ls -l rc5.d, and you will find a bunch of symbolic links to
    files in init.d. Those starting with Sxx are run at startup, in the
    sequence set by the numbers xx. Any that start with Kxx are run to
    kill things. (ls -l rc6.d for examples).

    Each of the rcX.d directories is for run level X. rc3.d is for
    run level three, the old command-line terminal. rc5.d is for the
    graphic user interface. rc6.d is for shutdown, rc1.d is for
    single-user mode (as root), and the others get little use.

    So, to start up your sound for a given run level, find its script in
    init.d and create symbolic links to it (using ln -s /existing/file/ newlink )
    in the appropriate run level directories, if they are not there
    already.

    If you have e.g. both S17alsa and S18sound links in rc5.d, you may wish to
    disable one by making it an "invisible" dot file.
    mv S18sound .S18sound
    Then, it will be invisable until you run ls -a or ls -la to see all
    files, and it will be there, with the dot starting the name. If you
    want it back in use, mv .S18sound S18sound and you are back where you
    started.

    Note you do not need to tinker with the scripts in init.d at all. Just
    put the links where you want them, and make any unwanted links invisible
    by changing the name to start with dot, and everything can be reasily
    restored to original status ante.

    I am not sure just what modules I need loaded, much less which ones you
    need, but the ones I have loaded at the moment look like this:

    [jim@jb rc.d]$ lsmod |grep sound
    soundcore 17056 1 snd
    [jim@jb rc.d]$ lsmod |grep snd
    snd_seq_dummy 8836 0
    snd_seq_oss 46592 0
    snd_seq_midi_event 14208 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 76576 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_seq_device 14484 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    snd_pcm_oss 56192 0
    snd_mixer_oss 24960 1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_intel8x0 45096 4
    snd_ac97_codec 132568 1 snd_intel8x0
    snd_ac97_bus 7168 1 snd_ac97_codec
    snd_pcm 102152 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
    snd_timer 33160 3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    snd_page_alloc 15760 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    snd 82856 15
    snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
    soundcore 17056 1 snd

    I hope the above will help. And that someone who knows what he
    is doing will provide more information, as I have about exhausted
    my knowledge of how to tinker in this area.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: Usb sound Logitech speakers with sndcard built in

    Jim Beard wrote:
> [...]

    > snd_seq_midi_event 14208 1 snd_seq_oss
    > snd_seq 76576 5
    > snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    > snd_seq_device 14484 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
    > snd_pcm_oss 56192 0
    > snd_mixer_oss 24960 1 snd_pcm_oss
    > snd_intel8x0 45096 4
    > snd_ac97_codec 132568 1 snd_intel8x0
    > snd_ac97_bus 7168 1 snd_ac97_codec
    > snd_pcm 102152 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
    > snd_timer 33160 3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
    > snd_page_alloc 15760 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
    > snd 82856 15
    > snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
    >
    > soundcore 17056 1 snd
    >
    > I hope the above will help. And that someone who knows what he
    > is doing will provide more information, as I have about exhausted
    > my knowledge of how to tinker in this area.

    I have not been able to speak with my friend today, but I have to say
    thank you so much for this incredible collection of information. We
    were working towards solutions and had partial victories and i m sure
    that these suggestions will help a lot.

    thank you.

    !!!

+ Reply to Thread