dual boot linux with grub - Mandriva

This is a discussion on dual boot linux with grub - Mandriva ; Is there a howto or documentation somewhere that describes dual booting two versions of linux with grub -- faeychild...

  1. dual boot linux with grub

    --
    faeychild

  2. Re: dual boot linux with grub

    faeychild uttered these pearls of wisdom:
    > Is there a howto or documentation somewhere that describes dual booting two
    > versions of linux with grub

    Info grub in a terminal should do it.

    Regards
    Fabian

    --
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows or Gates?

  3. Re: dual boot linux with grub

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:06:58 +1000, faeychild wrote:
    > Is there a howto or documentation somewhere that describes dual booting two
    > versions of linux with grub

    Never hurts to do a
    locate grub | grep doc
    and read the documentation.
    You need to understand how to number partitions.

    if locate not installed, depending on mandriva release; install
    urpmi mlocate
    or urpmi slocate

    Then build the database
    /etc/cron.weekly/slocate.cron
    or /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    There after cron/batch keeps database up to date.

    It can be as easy as duplicating a stanza and changing the partition number.

    I find it easy do the new install, mount the other install, cut from
    from the other install's /boot/grub/menu.lst and past into the current
    install's /boot/grub/menu.lst. If install uses links like Mandriva,
    use them. If like ubuntu/kubuntu and does not hard code the release level.

    Example snippets from mine follow:

    title /2007_1
    kernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda11 splash=0 vga=790
    initrd (hd0,10)/boot/initrd.img

    title "2008 beta2"
    kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda14 resume=/dev/sda6 splash=0 vga=788
    initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd.img

    title /hotbu
    root (hd0,12)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda13 splash=0
    initrd /boot/initrd.img

    title /fc7
    root (hd0,11)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=LABEL=fc7 rhgb splash=0
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img

    title /kubuntu
    kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda9 splash=0 vga=790
    initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic

    title /2007_0
    kernel (hd0,9)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda10 splash=0 vga=790
    initrd (hd0,9)/boot/initrd.img

  4. Re: dual boot linux with grub

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:06:58 +1000, faeychild wrote:

    > Is there a howto or documentation somewhere that describes dual booting two
    > versions of linux with grub

    With most modern distros, the last one installed will be able to detect
    the other(s) and set up the dual (multi) boot automagically.

  5. Re: dual boot linux with grub

    "Bit Twister" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:06:58 +1000, faeychild wrote:
    >> Is there a howto or documentation somewhere that describes dual booting
    >> two
    >> versions of linux with grub

    > Never hurts to do a
    > locate grub | grep doc
    > and read the documentation.
    > You need to understand how to number partitions.
    >
    > if locate not installed, depending on mandriva release; install
    > urpmi mlocate
    > or urpmi slocate
    >
    > Then build the database
    > /etc/cron.weekly/slocate.cron
    > or /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    > There after cron/batch keeps database up to date.
    >
    > It can be as easy as duplicating a stanza and changing the partition
    > number.
    >
    > I find it easy do the new install, mount the other install, cut from
    > from the other install's /boot/grub/menu.lst and past into the current
    > install's /boot/grub/menu.lst. If install uses links like Mandriva,
    > use them. If like ubuntu/kubuntu and does not hard code the release level.
    >
    > Example snippets from mine follow:
    >
    > title /2007_1
    > kernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda11 splash=0 vga=790
    > initrd (hd0,10)/boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title "2008 beta2"
    > kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda14 resume=/dev/sda6 splash=0
    > vga=788
    > initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title /hotbu
    > root (hd0,12)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda13 splash=0
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title /fc7
    > root (hd0,11)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=LABEL=fc7 rhgb splash=0
    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img
    >
    > title /kubuntu
    > kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda9 splash=0
    > vga=790
    > initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
    >
    > title /2007_0
    > kernel (hd0,9)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda10 splash=0 vga=790
    > initrd (hd0,9)/boot/initrd.img

    Is there any particular reason why you don't install a bootloader on the
    root partition of an install and chainload to there? I have run into
    hardcoded paths especially with Ubuntu and Fedora and they are a pain in the
    rear.
    Having the bootloader of each individual install on it's own root partition
    helps you by condensing the grub entry on your main bootloader to a simple
    root (hdx,y)
    chainloader +1
    That way a kernel upgrade on the target os does not mean a bootloader edit.

  6. Re: dual boot linux with grub

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:50:29 -0500, Gireesh Bhat wrote:

    > Is there any particular reason why you don't install a bootloader on the
    > root partition of an install and chainload to there?

    Not realy. Too easy just to cut/paste from menu.lst.

    > I have run into hardcoded paths especially with Ubuntu and Fedora
    > and they are a pain in the rear.
    > Having the bootloader of each individual install on it's own root partition
    > helps you by condensing the grub entry on your main bootloader to a simple
    > root (hdx,y)
    > chainloader +1
    > That way a kernel upgrade on the target os does not mean a bootloader edit.

    If they get to bothering me, I'll just create a softlink like Mandriva.

  7. Re: dual boot linux with grub

    On 2007-08-28, faeychild wrote:
    > Is there a howto or documentation somewhere that describes dual booting two
    > versions of linux with grub

    Have you considered using an independent boot manager in the
    MBR (and first/hidden track) with a _separate_ bootloader
    (Grub or other) for each distribution? That's what I have
    done recently, and there are some significant advantages.
    Mainly, with one Grub chaining to the other, if the
    partition that contains the first Grub gets hosed, you can't
    boot anything. With the independent boot manager (Smart
    Boot Manager or other), you can completely erase
    _everything_ from either installed distro and the other one
    will still be bootable with no difficulties.

    The HowTo for SBM is trivial: 1) when installing (or
    afterward) install each distro's boot manager in that
    distro's own boot sector (rather than in MBR). 2) Install
    SBM in the MBR and first/hidden track. I was a bit leery of
    messing up the system, but it was trivially easy and worked
    perfectly.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  8. Re: dual boot linux with grub

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > Never hurts to do a
    > locate grub | grep doc
    > and read the documentation.
    > You need to understand how to number partitions.
    >
    > if locate not installed, depending on mandriva release; install
    > urpmi mlocate
    > or urpmi slocate
    >
    > Then build the database
    > /etc/cron.weekly/slocate.cron
    > or /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    > There after cron/batch keeps database up to date.
    >
    > It can be as easy as duplicating a stanza and changing the partition
    > number.
    >
    > I find it easy do the new install, mount the other install, cut from
    > from the other install's /boot/grub/menu.lst and past into the current
    > install's /boot/grub/menu.lst. If install uses links like Mandriva,
    > use them. If like ubuntu/kubuntu and does not hard code the release level.
    >
    > Example snippets from mine follow:
    >
    > title /2007_1
    > kernel (hd0,10)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda11 splash=0 vga=790
    > initrd (hd0,10)/boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title "2008 beta2"
    > kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda14 resume=/dev/sda6 splash=0
    > vga=788 initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title /hotbu
    > root (hd0,12)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda13 splash=0
    > initrd /boot/initrd.img
    >
    > title /fc7
    > root (hd0,11)
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 ro root=LABEL=fc7 rhgb splash=0
    > initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.img
    >
    > title /kubuntu
    > kernel (hd0,8)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=/dev/sda9 splash=0
    > vga=790 initrd (hd0,8)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic
    >
    > title /2007_0
    > kernel (hd0,9)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda10 splash=0 vga=790
    > initrd (hd0,9)/boot/initrd.img

    I had a trial install of 2007 spring and noticed locate and kaffeine were
    missing, so was wallet kat and lisa which I wont miss.

    I've been having a mode line battle with a flat screen and I have gone back
    to familiar ground (2006). I would like to dual boot both.

    Grub is an info document. The last time I read it I got a bit lost in the
    sub chapter hierarchy. wasn't sure what I had read or hadn't or in what
    order.
    I've saved your post for subsequent study
    --
    faeychild

+ Reply to Thread