All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible. - Mandriva

This is a discussion on All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible. - Mandriva ; I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system. All were terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out colours ( almost black and white with only hints of colour on saturated colours) ...

  1. All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system. All were
    terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out colours ( almost
    black and white with only hints of colour on saturated colours) and the
    brightness/contrast was off ( most of the scene was badly overexposed.).
    On full screen, I got about a 600x400 picture in a 1200/800 screen ( ie
    houge black borders). mplayer was equally washed out. Ogle gave a double
    version of the picture ( as if the interlaces were being displayed side by
    side). LinDVD from Mandriva 2007 worked well ( good
    colour/contrast/brightness ) but simply would die ( show the LinDVD spash
    screen) in the middle of the dvd ( If I fast forwarded to that point, it
    would play for another few minutes and then suddenly show the spash screen.

    Opening Windows it was a bit dark ( brightness too low) but colours were
    reasonable and it played right through the disk.

    Something is seriously wrong here. Is there some way of adjusting the
    brightness/contrast/colour saturation in the Linux players? Or stopping
    LinDVD from dying? (It looks to me from their web page that LinDVD is
    dead).Or of having full screen actual display full screen in xine?

    (The dvd was recorded on the DVD+R on an LG DVD recorder from the off-air TV
    signal.)

  2. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    Bill Unruh wrote:

    > I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system. All
    > were terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out colours (
    > almost black and white with only hints of colour on saturated colours) and
    > the brightness/contrast was off ( most of the scene was badly
    > overexposed.). On full screen, I got about a 600x400 picture in a 1200/800
    > screen ( ie houge black borders). mplayer was equally washed out. Ogle
    > gave a double version of the picture ( as if the interlaces were being
    > displayed side by side). LinDVD from Mandriva 2007 worked well ( good
    > colour/contrast/brightness ) but simply would die ( show the LinDVD spash
    > screen) in the middle of the dvd ( If I fast forwarded to that point, it
    > would play for another few minutes and then suddenly show the spash
    > screen.
    >
    > Opening Windows it was a bit dark ( brightness too low) but colours were
    > reasonable and it played right through the disk.
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong here. Is there some way of adjusting the
    > brightness/contrast/colour saturation in the Linux players? Or stopping
    > LinDVD from dying? (It looks to me from their web page that LinDVD is
    > dead).Or of having full screen actual display full screen in xine?
    >
    > (The dvd was recorded on the DVD+R on an LG DVD recorder from the off-air
    > TV signal.)

    I agree some players miss out on controls for brightness, contrast etc, but
    Totem Movie Player does a good job, I have not yet had it crash, and
    picture controls are accessible under "Edit" / "Preferences" / "Display".

    I hope you enjoy the experience

    Chris Roy-Smith

  3. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 01:28:10 -0400, Bill Unruh wrote:

    > I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system. All were
    > terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out colours ( almost

    gmplayer includes an equalizer for both sound and video.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  4. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    "Bill Unruh" wrote in message
    >I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system. All
    >were
    > terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out colours (
    > almost
    > black and white with only hints of colour on saturated colours) and the
    > brightness/contrast was off ( most of the scene was badly overexposed.).
    > On full screen, I got about a 600x400 picture in a 1200/800 screen ( ie
    > houge black borders). mplayer was equally washed out. Ogle gave a double
    > version of the picture ( as if the interlaces were being displayed side by
    > side). LinDVD from Mandriva 2007 worked well ( good
    > colour/contrast/brightness ) but simply would die ( show the LinDVD spash
    > screen) in the middle of the dvd ( If I fast forwarded to that point, it
    > would play for another few minutes and then suddenly show the spash
    > screen.
    >
    > Opening Windows it was a bit dark ( brightness too low) but colours were
    > reasonable and it played right through the disk.
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong here. Is there some way of adjusting the
    > brightness/contrast/colour saturation in the Linux players? Or stopping
    > LinDVD from dying? (It looks to me from their web page that LinDVD is
    > dead).Or of having full screen actual display full screen in xine?
    >
    > (The dvd was recorded on the DVD+R on an LG DVD recorder from the off-air
    > TV
    > signal.)

    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases.../Errata#LinDVD
    After a few minutes of watching a disc, LinDVD simply stops because the
    license library is in the wrong place and therefore LinDVD runs in demo
    mode.

    To fix this issue run the following commands (as root):

    cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    ldconfig

    For beginners, here is a more detailed explanation: Click on the KDE Menu
    button, and go to System -> Terminal to open a terminal. Once in the
    terminal do as you see here ("user" replaces your username):

    [user@localhost ~]$ <-This is the prompt, type all of what is displayed
    after it in this example.
    [user@localhost ~]$ su
    Password: <-Type your "root" password here. Nothing is printed on screen as
    you type, this is a security feature.
    [root@localhost user]# cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    [root@localhost user]# ldconfig
    [root@localhost user]# <-Wait till you get back to this prompt before
    closing the terminal.
    You can close the terminal. Now restart LinDVD if it was running before
    typing the above commands.

  5. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    Gireesh Bhat wrote:

    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases.../Errata#LinDVD
    > After a few minutes of watching a disc, LinDVD simply stops because the
    > license library is in the wrong place and therefore LinDVD runs in demo
    > mode.
    >
    > To fix this issue run the following commands (as root):
    >
    > cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    > ldconfig
    >
    > For beginners, here is a more detailed explanation: Click on the KDE Menu
    > button, and go to System -> Terminal to open a terminal. Once in the
    > terminal do as you see here ("user" replaces your username):
    >
    > [user@localhost ~]$ <-This is the prompt, type all of what is displayed
    > after it in this example.
    > [user@localhost ~]$ su
    > Password: <-Type your "root" password here. Nothing is printed on screen
    > as you type, this is a security feature.
    > [root@localhost user]# cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    > [root@localhost user]# ldconfig
    > [root@localhost user]# <-Wait till you get back to this prompt before
    > closing the terminal.
    > You can close the terminal. Now restart LinDVD if it was running before
    > typing the above commands.

    Whatever happened to "insert dvd into reader, let system decide what player
    to use"?

    --
    Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  6. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    "Dave" wrote in message
    > Gireesh Bhat wrote:
    >
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases.../Errata#LinDVD
    >> After a few minutes of watching a disc, LinDVD simply stops because the
    >> license library is in the wrong place and therefore LinDVD runs in demo
    >> mode.
    >>
    >> To fix this issue run the following commands (as root):
    >>
    >> cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    >> ldconfig
    >>
    >> For beginners, here is a more detailed explanation: Click on the KDE Menu
    >> button, and go to System -> Terminal to open a terminal. Once in the
    >> terminal do as you see here ("user" replaces your username):
    >>
    >> [user@localhost ~]$ <-This is the prompt, type all of what is displayed
    >> after it in this example.
    >> [user@localhost ~]$ su
    >> Password: <-Type your "root" password here. Nothing is printed on screen
    >> as you type, this is a security feature.
    >> [root@localhost user]# cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    >> [root@localhost user]# ldconfig
    >> [root@localhost user]# <-Wait till you get back to this prompt before
    >> closing the terminal.
    >> You can close the terminal. Now restart LinDVD if it was running before
    >> typing the above commands.

    > Whatever happened to "insert dvd into reader, let system decide what
    > player
    > to use"?
    >
    > --
    > Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    > R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

    LinDVD presents a solution wherein legal codecs/decrypters/whatever are used
    for DVD playback. Whether we indeed a need a solution like this is debatable
    but atleast we have it as an option.
    That Mandriva stopped distributing it because of "problems" is unfortunate
    but the program did have limitations (like not being unable to set the /dev
    order of your DVD drive etc).

  7. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    On 2007-08-28, Gireesh Bhat wrote:

    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases.../Errata#LinDVD
    > After a few minutes of watching a disc, LinDVD simply stops because the
    > license library is in the wrong place and therefore LinDVD runs in demo
    > mode.
    >
    > To fix this issue run the following commands (as root):

    urpme lindvd
    urpmi anything else

    Lordy

  8. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    Bill Unruh wrote:

    try xine and install the following packages

    the three below might be hard to fined in rpm form
    LIBDVDCSS2_1_2_8_1PLF_I586.RPM
    libdvdread-0.9.4-72.i586.rpm
    libdvbpsi3-0.1.4-0.pm.2.i586.rpm

    the one below is easy to fine thats if it is not installed already
    w32codec-all-20061022-0.pm.0.i586.rpm

    if you can fined and install the above packages xine should work well
    if you can't fined them leave your email and i will send them to you

  9. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    Dave writes:

    >Gireesh Bhat wrote:

    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases.../Errata#LinDVD
    >> After a few minutes of watching a disc, LinDVD simply stops because the
    >> license library is in the wrong place and therefore LinDVD runs in demo
    >> mode.
    >>
    >> To fix this issue run the following commands (as root):
    >>
    >> cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    >> ldconfig
    >>
    >> For beginners, here is a more detailed explanation: Click on the KDE Menu
    >> button, and go to System -> Terminal to open a terminal. Once in the
    >> terminal do as you see here ("user" replaces your username):
    >>
    >> [user@localhost ~]$ <-This is the prompt, type all of what is displayed
    >> after it in this example.
    >> [user@localhost ~]$ su
    >> Password: <-Type your "root" password here. Nothing is printed on screen
    >> as you type, this is a security feature.
    >> [root@localhost user]# cp /usr/share/lindvd/libivimandriva.so /usr/lib/
    >> [root@localhost user]# ldconfig
    >> [root@localhost user]# <-Wait till you get back to this prompt before
    >> closing the terminal.
    >> You can close the terminal. Now restart LinDVD if it was running before
    >> typing the above commands.

    >Whatever happened to "insert dvd into reader, let system decide what player
    >to use"?

    In my case it asks if I want to rip the dvd or do nothing. Neitehr is
    appropriate.

    >--
    >Weblog - http://inbothworlds.wordpress.com/
    >R.L.U. #300033 - MDV 2006 - KDE 3.4

  10. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    lordy writes:

    >On 2007-08-28, Gireesh Bhat wrote:
    >>
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases.../Errata#LinDVD
    >> After a few minutes of watching a disc, LinDVD simply stops because the
    >> license library is in the wrong place and therefore LinDVD runs in demo
    >> mode.
    >>
    >> To fix this issue run the following commands (as root):

    >urpme lindvd
    >urpmi anything else

    You did not read the original did you. Anything else makes a complete hash
    of displaying the recording I made-- wrong size, terrible
    brightness/contrast, colours all washed out, double images,....
    LinDVD and Windows displayed the home recorded dvd in more or less proper
    colour contrast brightness and actual full screen ( rather than 1/4 full
    screen-- yes, running in fullscreen mode)
    I have had good results using other players on commercial dvds, but not
    from a home recorded-- from TV-- dvd.

    >Lordy

  11. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system. All were
    > terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out colours ( almost
    > black and white with only hints of colour on saturated colours) and the
    > brightness/contrast was off ( most of the scene was badly overexposed.).
    > On full screen, I got about a 600x400 picture in a 1200/800 screen ( ie
    > houge black borders). mplayer was equally washed out. Ogle gave a double
    > version of the picture ( as if the interlaces were being displayed side by
    > side).

    Are you having any other problems with your display? It sounds a bit
    like your media players are getting the display settings wrong -
    especially what you describe with Ogle. Like they are trying to work out
    how the hardware behind the screen (screen layout, colour depth etc.) is
    organised, and getting it wrong.

    > (The dvd was recorded on the DVD+R on an LG DVD recorder from the off-air TV
    > signal.)

    Of course you did finalise the dvd - otherwise the PC would see a blank
    disc.

    I've not tried LinDVD, but the others work fine on my PC... sorry, I
    know that's not much help, except to say that they *can* work.

    A colleague of mine, who uses Windows, reported problems with discs
    recorded on one recorder, but not on another brand. Do you have the same
    problem with prerecorded discs, or discs recorded by someone else?

    fp

  12. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    On 2007-08-29, Unruh wrote:
    > lordy writes:
    >
    >>On 2007-08-28, Gireesh Bhat wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases.../Errata#LinDVD
    >>> After a few minutes of watching a disc, LinDVD simply stops because the
    >>> license library is in the wrong place and therefore LinDVD runs in demo
    >>> mode.
    >>>
    >>> To fix this issue run the following commands (as root):

    >>urpme lindvd
    >>urpmi anything else

    > You did not read the original did you.

    Yup I did. I was just responding to the specific errata. (with a failed
    attempt at humour). Threads are still allowed to wonder aren't they

    Lordy

  13. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    Groovy hepcat Bill Unruh was jivin' in alt.os.linux.mandriva on Tue, 28
    Aug 2007 3:28 pm. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

    > I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system.
    > All were terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out

    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't kmplayer use mplayer, rather
    than xine?

    > colours ( almost black and white with only hints of colour on
    > saturated colours) and the brightness/contrast was off ( most of the
    > scene was badly overexposed.). On full screen, I got about a 600x400
    > picture in a 1200/800 screen ( ie houge black borders). mplayer was
    > equally washed out.

    That stands to reason, if kmplayer uses mplayer.

    > Ogle gave a double version of the picture ( as if
    > the interlaces were being displayed side by side). LinDVD from
    > Mandriva 2007 worked well ( good colour/contrast/brightness ) but
    > simply would die ( show the LinDVD spash screen) in the middle of the
    > dvd ( If I fast forwarded to that point, it would play for another few
    > minutes and then suddenly show the spash screen.

    Did you try running xine? No 3rd party front end, just xine by itself?
    It's what I use, and I've had no problems. You can adjust brightness,
    contrast, saturation and hue if you need to. Press Alt+C to bring up the
    video adjustment dialog.

    > Opening Windows it was a bit dark ( brightness too low) but colours
    > were reasonable and it played right through the disk.
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong here. Is there some way of adjusting the
    > brightness/contrast/colour saturation in the Linux players? Or
    > stopping LinDVD from dying? (It looks to me from their web page that
    > LinDVD is dead).Or of having full screen actual display full screen in
    > xine?

    I'm using xine to play a movie at full screen right now, and it really
    is full screen. So I don't know what the problem may be with your
    setup.

    > (The dvd was recorded on the DVD+R on an LG DVD recorder from the
    > off-air TV signal.)

    I regularly play movies on DVD+Rs with none of the problems you have
    described.

    --
    Dig the sig!

    ----------- Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood ------------
    Ain't I'm a dawg!!

  14. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood writes:

    >Groovy hepcat Bill Unruh was jivin' in alt.os.linux.mandriva on Tue, 28
    >Aug 2007 3:28 pm. It's a cool scene! Dig it.

    >> I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system.
    >> All were terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out

    > Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't kmplayer use mplayer, rather
    >than xine?

    >> colours ( almost black and white with only hints of colour on
    >> saturated colours) and the brightness/contrast was off ( most of the
    >> scene was badly overexposed.). On full screen, I got about a 600x400
    >> picture in a 1200/800 screen ( ie houge black borders). mplayer was
    >> equally washed out.

    > That stands to reason, if kmplayer uses mplayer.

    >> Ogle gave a double version of the picture ( as if
    >> the interlaces were being displayed side by side). LinDVD from
    >> Mandriva 2007 worked well ( good colour/contrast/brightness ) but
    >> simply would die ( show the LinDVD spash screen) in the middle of the
    >> dvd ( If I fast forwarded to that point, it would play for another few
    >> minutes and then suddenly show the spash screen.

    > Did you try running xine? No 3rd party front end, just xine by itself?
    >It's what I use, and I've had no problems. You can adjust brightness,
    >contrast, saturation and hue if you need to. Press Alt+C to bring up the
    >video adjustment dialog.

    >> Opening Windows it was a bit dark ( brightness too low) but colours
    >> were reasonable and it played right through the disk.
    >>
    >> Something is seriously wrong here. Is there some way of adjusting the
    >> brightness/contrast/colour saturation in the Linux players? Or
    >> stopping LinDVD from dying? (It looks to me from their web page that
    >> LinDVD is dead).Or of having full screen actual display full screen in
    >> xine?

    > I'm using xine to play a movie at full screen right now, and it really
    >is full screen. So I don't know what the problem may be with your
    >setup.

    >> (The dvd was recorded on the DVD+R on an LG DVD recorder from the
    >> off-air TV signal.)

    > I regularly play movies on DVD+Rs with none of the problems you have
    >described.

    OK, good to hear. I have no idea why kmplayer uses xine, but it does. And
    it was in that that I had the problem of full screen being 1/4 screen plus
    black.
    That xine has a screen control is good to hear. Will have to try it.

  15. Re: All DVD viewers under Mandriva horrible.

    on Tuesday 28 August 2007 15:28
    Bill Unruh wrote:

    > I recorded Dr Who and tried looking at it on a Linux 2007.1 system. All
    > were terrible. kmplayer ( which uses xine) gave very washed out colours (
    > almost black and white with only hints of colour on saturated colours) and
    > the brightness/contrast was off ( most of the scene was badly
    > overexposed.).

    Is X configured for 24 bit color?

    > On full screen, I got about a 600x400 picture in a 1200/800
    > screen ( ie houge black borders). mplayer was equally washed out. Ogle
    > gave a double version of the picture ( as if the interlaces were being
    > displayed side by side). LinDVD from Mandriva 2007 worked well ( good
    > colour/contrast/brightness ) but simply would die ( show the LinDVD spash
    > screen) in the middle of the dvd ( If I fast forwarded to that point, it
    > would play for another few minutes and then suddenly show the spash
    > screen.

    I like Kaffeine - it handles dvb. It also has a "fill" filter to
    expand things.

    Are you complaining about the default settings for color/contrast/brightness
    or your inability to change them? You could adjust the hardware, if you
    are desperate.

    > Opening Windows it was a bit dark ( brightness too low) but colours were
    > reasonable and it played right through the disk.
    >
    > Something is seriously wrong here. Is there some way of adjusting the
    > brightness/contrast/colour saturation in the Linux players?

    If the player that you are using doesn't do that, use another player.

    > Or stopping
    > LinDVD from dying? (It looks to me from their web page that LinDVD is
    > dead).Or of having full screen actual display full screen in xine?
    >
    > (The dvd was recorded on the DVD+R on an LG DVD recorder from the off-air
    > TV signal.)

    That still leaves rather a lot of possibilities.

    --
    sig goes here...
    Peter D.

+ Reply to Thread