Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007 - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007 - Mandriva ; Hello friends, I recently suffered motherboard failure. I had an older AMD board and processor, so I put it together and installed my old hard drives. To my surprise, Mandriva 2007 booted in it's new hardware enviroment. Things seem to ...

  1. Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    Hello friends,

    I recently suffered motherboard failure. I had an older AMD board and
    processor, so I put it together and installed my old hard drives.

    To my surprise, Mandriva 2007 booted in it's new hardware enviroment. Things
    seem to be working fine.

    It it advisable to reinstall Mandriva at this time? In other words, will
    Mandriva build itself differently for the new hardware? Am I taking any
    sort of risk running it the way it is now?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:01:15 -0700, Spheric wrote:

    > I recently suffered motherboard failure. I had an older AMD board and
    > processor, so I put it together and installed my old hard drives.
    >
    > To my surprise, Mandriva 2007 booted in it's new hardware enviroment. Things
    > seem to be working fine.
    >
    > It it advisable to reinstall Mandriva at this time? In other words, will
    > Mandriva build itself differently for the new hardware? Am I taking any
    > sort of risk running it the way it is now?

    There's no need to reinstall. The pre-built kernel has modules to support
    a wide variety of hardware. So if everything works don't worry.

  3. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:01:15 -0700, Spheric wrote:

    > Am I taking any
    > sort of risk running it the way it is now?

    Not if you are keeping your backups current. :-D

  4. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:01:15 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    >
    >> Am I taking any
    >> sort of risk running it the way it is now?

    > Not if you are keeping your backups current. :-D

    Yes, I keep decent backups. The audio does not work. Currently the driver is
    VT8233 AC97 audio controller. I remember this is the driver my old board
    was using.

    This new board is a Biostar M7VIG PRO. The documentation for this board
    isn't great so I don't know if there is a better driver?

    Thanks again!

  5. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    Spheric wrote:
    > This new board is a Biostar M7VIG PRO. The documentation for this board
    > isn't great so I don't know if there is a better driver?

    Disclaimer: I am not an authority on sound. But among my recent
    flailing abouts trying to make my system work properly I found
    that running /usr/bin/alsaconf was helpful when my sound had
    quit.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  6. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > Disclaimer: I am not an authority on sound. But among my recent
    > flailing abouts trying to make my system work properly I found
    > that running /usr/bin/alsaconf was helpful when my sound had
    > quit.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.

    Thanks jim that did the trick. Mostly. The strange thing is using headphones
    there's no bass. It sounds fine on external speakers :/

  7. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:31:26 -0700, Spheric wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:01:15 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    >>
    >>> Am I taking any
    >>> sort of risk running it the way it is now?

    >> Not if you are keeping your backups current. :-D

    > Yes, I keep decent backups. The audio does not work. Currently the driver is
    > VT8233 AC97 audio controller. I remember this is the driver my old board
    > was using.
    >
    > This new board is a Biostar M7VIG PRO. The documentation for this board
    > isn't great so I don't know if there is a better driver?

    I was wondering if your sound still worked. Most times when you change
    MB's you need to change drivers for sound and nic. Easiest way to find out
    what you have is probably lspci. Then remove the old drivers and install
    the correct ones.

  8. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    Wes Newell wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:31:26 -0700, Spheric wrote:
    >
    >> Bit Twister wrote:

    >>> Not if you are keeping your backups current. :-D

    >> Yes, I keep decent backups. The audio does not work. Currently the driver
    >> is VT8233 AC97 audio controller. I remember this is the driver my old
    >> board was using.
    >>
    >> This new board is a Biostar M7VIG PRO. The documentation for this board
    >> isn't great so I don't know if there is a better driver?
    >>

    > I was wondering if your sound still worked. Most times when you change
    > MB's you need to change drivers for sound and nic. Easiest way to find out
    > what you have is probably lspci. Then remove the old drivers and install
    > the correct ones.

    Another poster suggested I run alsaconf. This worked mostly, the odd thing
    is through headphones there's no bass. It sounds fine on external speakers.
    Very strange.

  9. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    On 2007-08-28, Spheric wrote:

    > Another poster suggested I run alsaconf. This worked mostly, the odd thing
    > is through headphones there's no bass. It sounds fine on external speakers.
    > Very strange.

    There was a discussion earlier on this subject. If you're
    plugging the headphones into the line-out jack, the problem
    _might_ be a DC blocking capacitor in the output circuit
    that is sized for a higher impedance load than the
    headphones. The external speakers may present a higher
    impedance load and thus not see the roll-off of lower
    frequencies.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  10. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > There was a discussion earlier on this subject. If you're
    > plugging the headphones into the line-out jack, the problem
    > _might_ be a DC blocking capacitor in the output circuit
    > that is sized for a higher impedance load than the
    > headphones. The external speakers may present a higher
    > impedance load and thus not see the roll-off of lower
    > frequencies.

    Well that would make sense. Can you point me to this thread?

  11. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    On 2007-08-29, Spheric wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> There was a discussion earlier on this subject. If you're
    >> plugging the headphones into the line-out jack, the problem
    >> _might_ be a DC blocking capacitor in the output circuit
    >> that is sized for a higher impedance load than the
    >> headphones. The external speakers may present a higher
    >> impedance load and thus not see the roll-off of lower
    >> frequencies.

    > Well that would make sense. Can you point me to this thread?

    Here are the relevant header lines:

    Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.mandrake
    Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 02:44:39 GMT

    Unfortunately, Google groups couldn't find that posting.
    Here's what I posted in that thread:

    > My guess would be the headphone jack has a strong bass boost
    > to make up for the lack of bass response of many/most modern
    > small headphones, and the line out jack has a DC blocking
    > capacitor in series with the output that is for a much
    > higher impedance than the cassette-like adapter.

    One possible solution would be a buffer amplifier between
    the computer's line out and the headphones. If you're on a
    tight budget, you may be able to find some inexpensive
    stereo equipment at a local GoodWill or similar thrift
    store. (I have a rather nice Technics stereo receiver from
    GoodWill between my computer's line out and some homemade
    bookshelf speakers.)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  12. Re: Install new motherboard, Mandriva 2007

    (snip)

    I had to dig a bit, but it looks like this is a known poor-performance issue
    with this motherboard for reasons you describe.

+ Reply to Thread