How to remove a nonexistant *hdc* entry from "Devices" - Mandriva

This is a discussion on How to remove a nonexistant *hdc* entry from "Devices" - Mandriva ; I`m trying to remove a "ghost" entry named hdc from being listed upon bootup as *FAILED*, but also residing under *Devices* as a link to a nonexistant drive on my Mandriva 2006 desktop. I call this a "ghost" entry because ...

  1. How to remove a nonexistant *hdc* entry from "Devices"

    I`m trying to remove a "ghost" entry named hdc from being listed upon bootup
    as *FAILED*, but also residing under *Devices* as a link to a nonexistant
    drive on my Mandriva 2006 desktop.

    I call this a "ghost" entry because at one point, I DID have an hdc HDD
    connected, but later I physically removed this HDD without Mandriva being
    notified or involved!
    I incorrectly thought (NEWBIE) that Mandriva would detect the lack of
    presense of the drive upon bootup and automatically adjust accordingly as in
    WINDOWS!

    Anyway, now I`m stuck with this nonexistant hdc device showing up as
    "FAILED" on the bootup screen "listings" and also appearing included along
    with all my other existing devices in my desktop *DEVICES* folder!

    I have obviously tried to delete this *hdc* desktop link conventionally, but
    I get error message not allowing.

    I`m asking here how I can remedy this self created situation correctly,
    without initiating yet another problem for this newbie?

    Thanks,
    Matt

  2. Re: How to remove a nonexistant *hdc* entry from "Devices"

    Mattrixx wrote:
    > I`m trying to remove a "ghost" entry named hdc from being listed upon bootup
    > as *FAILED*, but also residing under *Devices* as a link to a nonexistant
    > drive on my Mandriva 2006 desktop.
    >
    > I call this a "ghost" entry because at one point, I DID have an hdc HDD
    > connected, but later I physically removed this HDD without Mandriva being
    > notified or involved!
    > I incorrectly thought (NEWBIE) that Mandriva would detect the lack of
    > presense of the drive upon bootup and automatically adjust accordingly as in
    > WINDOWS!
    >
    > Anyway, now I`m stuck with this nonexistant hdc device showing up as
    > "FAILED" on the bootup screen "listings" and also appearing included along
    > with all my other existing devices in my desktop *DEVICES* folder!
    >
    > I have obviously tried to delete this *hdc* desktop link conventionally, but
    > I get error message not allowing.
    >
    > I`m asking here how I can remedy this self created situation correctly,
    > without initiating yet another problem for this newbie?

    Are you sure you want to get rid of hdc. Because on my system hdc is
    link to cdrom.

    --
    [Hello to all my friends and fans in domestic surveillance!]
    DES Honduras NATO underground mailbomb Croatian Comirex DRM BRLO Al

  3. Re: How to remove a nonexistant *hdc* entry from "Devices"

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:00:09 -0500, Mattrixx wrote:

    > I call this a "ghost" entry because at one point, I DID have an hdc HDD
    > connected, but later I physically removed this HDD without Mandriva being
    > notified or involved!
    > I incorrectly thought (NEWBIE) that Mandriva would detect the lack of
    > presense of the drive upon bootup and automatically adjust accordingly as in
    > WINDOWS!

    Fortunately, or unfortunately, however you want to look at it, It's just
    following your instructions.

    > Anyway, now I`m stuck with this nonexistant hdc device showing up as
    > "FAILED" on the bootup screen "listings" and also appearing included
    > along with all my other existing devices in my desktop *DEVICES* folder!
    >
    > I have obviously tried to delete this *hdc* desktop link conventionally,
    > but I get error message not allowing.
    >
    > I`m asking here how I can remedy this self created situation correctly,
    > without initiating yet another problem for this newbie?

    When you remove an internal HDD that is part of the Linux system, you need
    to also remove the line(s) from your /etc/fstab file that references
    /dev/hdc(n), or add the noauto option to it so it won't try to mount it on
    boot (man fstab). If that too hard, you can do it in MCC Mount points and
    save it.

  4. Re: How to remove a nonexistant *hdc* entry from "Devices"

    "Wes Newell" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:00:09 -0500, Mattrixx wrote:
    >
    >> I call this a "ghost" entry because at one point, I DID have an hdc HDD
    >> connected, but later I physically removed this HDD without Mandriva being
    >> notified or involved!
    >> I incorrectly thought (NEWBIE) that Mandriva would detect the lack of
    >> presense of the drive upon bootup and automatically adjust accordingly as
    >> in
    >> WINDOWS!
    >>

    > Fortunately, or unfortunately, however you want to look at it, It's just
    > following your instructions.
    >
    >> Anyway, now I`m stuck with this nonexistant hdc device showing up as
    >> "FAILED" on the bootup screen "listings" and also appearing included
    >> along with all my other existing devices in my desktop *DEVICES* folder!
    >>
    >> I have obviously tried to delete this *hdc* desktop link conventionally,
    >> but I get error message not allowing.
    >>
    >> I`m asking here how I can remedy this self created situation correctly,
    >> without initiating yet another problem for this newbie?

    > When you remove an internal HDD that is part of the Linux system, you need
    > to also remove the line(s) from your /etc/fstab file that references
    > /dev/hdc(n), or add the noauto option to it so it won't try to mount it on
    > boot (man fstab). If that too hard, you can do it in MCC Mount points and
    > save it.
    >

    > --
    > Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    > http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    > My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    > HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm

    Thanks Wes,

    I`m still learning.... mostly by doing, but recently more determined
    than ever to "get this stuff", as I feel Linux is truly worth the effort!
    Can`t say how long it might take for me to become what I would call
    proficient.
    Windows has made me lazy I suppose.
    I recently learned how to upgrade Firefox to 2.0.0.6 and install
    Adobe Flash Player using the console and felt very gratified.

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread