kde exits immediately - Mandriva

This is a discussion on kde exits immediately - Mandriva ; I am running 2006 (magazine dvd edition) on a 950 with 196m memory It has been stable up until the last power failure here Now- lilo woks fine verbose start up shows no problems mandriva login menu is fine I ...

  1. kde exits immediately

    I am running 2006 (magazine dvd edition) on a 950 with 196m memory
    It has been stable up until the last power failure here

    Now-
    lilo woks fine
    verbose start up shows no problems
    mandriva login menu is fine
    I forgot to install gnome, I have IceWm, KDE and Failsafe
    when I log into KDE as any valid user
    startup splash appears, session starts
    sometimes the previous session is re-established
    screen goes black
    mandriva login appears again
    user is not logged in

    Log in to Ice appears to work just fine, but I don't know my way around it
    yet.

    I know for certain that I have not changed any kde settings.

    Can someone point me to a solution?

    Thanks

    Stuart

  2. Re: kde exits immediately

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 19:29:51 -0400, Stuart Miller wrote:

    > I am running 2006 (magazine dvd edition) on a 950 with 196m memory
    > It has been stable up until the last power failure here

    Sounds like the filesystem has been corrupted. If I remember correctly,
    2006 wouldn't run the filesystem check after an unclean shutdown,
    unless you were there to press the y key. Try running
    "shutdown -F", or "shutdown -Fr", to force fsck to try again.

    Without a ups, or even just for some extra safety, I strongly suggest using
    "hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda", to turn off hard drive write caching. With unstable power, or software, having the drive caching the writes, is an unnecessary
    risk. Put one hdparm command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, for each hard drive.
    It does reduce performance, however, I only notice the difference, when
    copying large files, such as iso images.

    Depending on how good you are at troubleshooting, it may be easiest, to
    back up your actual data, and reinstall. I assume you don't have a full
    system backup, to recover with.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  3. Re: kde exits immediately

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > Without a ups, or even just for some extra safety, I strongly suggest using
    > "hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda", to turn off hard drive write caching. With
    > unstable power, or software, having the drive caching the writes, is an

    unnecessary
    > risk. Put one hdparm command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, for each hard drive.
    > It does reduce performance, however, I only notice the difference, when
    > copying large files, such as iso images.
    >
    > Depending on how good you are at troubleshooting, it may be easiest, to
    > back up your actual data, and reinstall. I assume you don't have a full
    > system backup, to recover with.

    If the corruption affected only KDE configuration files, in your home
    directory
    mv .kde .oldkde
    and see if KDE starts up ok. Alternatively, if you have another
    user (or another user name) on the system, try logging in as that
    user and see if KDE works. You might go as far as creating a new
    user to determine whether it is a system problem or just a KDE
    problem.

    Cheers!

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: kde exits immediately

    "Jim Beard" wrote in message
    > David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> Without a ups, or even just for some extra safety, I strongly suggest
    >> using
    >> "hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda", to turn off hard drive write caching. With
    >> unstable power, or software, having the drive caching the writes, is an

    > unnecessary
    >> risk. Put one hdparm command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, for each hard drive.
    >> It does reduce performance, however, I only notice the difference, when
    >> copying large files, such as iso images.
    >>
    >> Depending on how good you are at troubleshooting, it may be easiest, to
    >> back up your actual data, and reinstall. I assume you don't have a full
    >> system backup, to recover with.

    > If the corruption affected only KDE configuration files, in your home
    > directory
    > mv .kde .oldkde
    > and see if KDE starts up ok. Alternatively, if you have another
    > user (or another user name) on the system, try logging in as that
    > user and see if KDE works. You might go as far as creating a new
    > user to determine whether it is a system problem or just a KDE
    > problem.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > jim b.
    >
    > --
    > UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    > expects users to be computer-friendly.

    Two updates

    - this applies to any user, even root logging into KDE

    - in an Ice session, brigning up konqueror caused the same abnormal exit

    I will try the filecheck umount then e3fsck on each partition

    As for the write caching, I will look into that asap.
    This is a hobby webserver, everything backed up, and nothing critical on the
    system. Performance is not an issue, as it is running about 2% utilization.

  5. Re: kde exits immediately

    Stuart Miller wrote:

    > "Jim Beard" wrote in message
    >> David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >>> Without a ups, or even just for some extra safety, I strongly suggest
    >>> using
    >>> "hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda", to turn off hard drive write caching. With
    >>> unstable power, or software, having the drive caching the writes, is an

    >> unnecessary
    >>> risk. Put one hdparm command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, for each hard
    >>> drive. It does reduce performance, however, I only notice the
    >>> difference, when copying large files, such as iso images.
    >>>
    >>> Depending on how good you are at troubleshooting, it may be easiest, to
    >>> back up your actual data, and reinstall. I assume you don't have a full
    >>> system backup, to recover with.

    >> If the corruption affected only KDE configuration files, in your home
    >> directory
    >> mv .kde .oldkde
    >> and see if KDE starts up ok. Alternatively, if you have another
    >> user (or another user name) on the system, try logging in as that
    >> user and see if KDE works. You might go as far as creating a new
    >> user to determine whether it is a system problem or just a KDE
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> jim b.
    >>
    >> --
    >> UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    >> expects users to be computer-friendly.

    > Two updates
    >
    > - this applies to any user, even root logging into KDE
    >
    > - in an Ice session, brigning up konqueror caused the same abnormal exit
    >
    > I will try the filecheck umount then e3fsck on each partition
    >
    > As for the write caching, I will look into that asap.
    > This is a hobby webserver, everything backed up, and nothing critical on
    > the system. Performance is not an issue, as it is running about 2%
    > utilization.

    i had a problem for the first time a few weeks ago and it seemed my
    hard drive had a corrupt file on it i believe.

    i just put in the mandriva cd and clicked on the rescue button, rebooted and
    all is well.

    --
    Love is all u need.

  6. Re: kde exits immediately - update

    "Stuart Miller" wrote in message
    >I am running 2006 (magazine dvd edition) on a 950 with 196m memory
    > It has been stable up until the last power failure here
    >
    > Now-
    > lilo woks fine
    > verbose start up shows no problems
    > mandriva login menu is fine
    > I forgot to install gnome, I have IceWm, KDE and Failsafe
    > when I log into KDE as any valid user
    > startup splash appears, session starts
    > sometimes the previous session is re-established
    > screen goes black
    > mandriva login appears again
    > user is not logged in
    >
    > Log in to Ice appears to work just fine, but I don't know my way around it
    > yet.
    >
    > I know for certain that I have not changed any kde settings.
    >
    > Can someone point me to a solution?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart

    I ran the file system checks, they show everything is ok
    I ran the maxtor diagnostics, they show drive is fine
    I reinstalled 2006, but messed up the install so can't get to kde

    Rather than risk anything more, I installed 2006 on a brand new 250 gig
    drive.
    KDE now does exactly the same thing - starts then exits back to the login
    prompt

    So, this sounds a lot like a hardware problem.
    The question is, motherboard or video card?
    video is matrox G4+M4A32DG
    mb is Gigabyte A 7 ZXE

    Any ideas?

    I'm going to try a different video card - I found a Radeon RV100 and a
    Gforce 2 MX, both 32 meg.
    Is one any better for a workstation environment?

    Stuart

+ Reply to Thread