monitor power control - Mandriva

This is a discussion on monitor power control - Mandriva ; I'm currently running Mandriva 2007.1 Free as a single-user, desktop system. According to the little icon in the system tray, it is up-to-date. Last night I wanted to watch a couple of videos, uninterrupted by screen savers or display shutdowns. ...

  1. monitor power control

    I'm currently running Mandriva 2007.1 Free as a single-user, desktop
    system. According to the little icon in the system tray, it is
    up-to-date. Last night I wanted to watch a couple of videos,
    uninterrupted by screen savers or display shutdowns. So, I went to the
    KDE Control Center and disabled the screen saver and the monitor power
    controls. I made sure I clicked on "APPLY" and went to my video.

    Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the
    show. No screen saver, just a blank screen. Moving the mouse brought it
    back, but that was precisely the type of interruption I was trying to
    avoid. Thinking that perhaps KDE had to be restarted before the changes
    took effect(yes, I know - Windows thinking. Shouldn't be necessary with
    Linux. It was worth a try, anyway.), I tried that - after first checking
    the Control Center to be sure it was still as I left it. Then I went
    back to my videos, only to be stopped again at the 20 minute barrier.

    Thinking this might be some root setting that was overriding the
    ordinary user settings, I looked for something in the Mandriva Control
    Center that I could change. Nope. Didn't find anything that looked
    related to this problem.

    Am I missing something here? I freely admit, even after using Linux for
    5 1/2 years, I rarely have had to get into the guts of the thing and
    muck around as root. I know little of what I'm doing there. I have no
    idea what .conf or whatever file might need changing or how to change it.

    All I want to be able to do is lean back in my chair, put my feet up,
    and watch a movie without having to move my mouse every few minutes. Is
    that too much to ask?

    TJ

  2. Re: monitor power control

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  3. Re: monitor power control

    TJ wrote:
    > Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the
    > show. No screen saver, just a blank screen.

    > Thinking this might be some root setting that was overriding the
    > ordinary user settings, I looked for something in the Mandriva Control
    > Center that I could change. Nope. Didn't find anything that looked
    > related to this problem.
    >
    > Am I missing something here?

    Your BIOS may have configuration settings for saving power.
    This is the most likely origin of otherwise inexplicable
    screen blanking.

    MCC offers a list of services that can be started/stopped.
    Those may contain routines controlling power to the monitor.
    (Think advanced power control interface or something similar.)

    KDE has settings under Appearance/Screen Saver and under
    Peripherals/Display/Power Control.

    Any other applications installed that provide power management
    functions may also require attention.

    HTH

    jim b.

    --
    UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
    expects users to be computer-friendly.

  4. Re: monitor power control

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:18:42 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > I'm currently running Mandriva 2007.1 Free as a single-user, desktop
    > system. According to the little icon in the system tray, it is
    > up-to-date. Last night I wanted to watch a couple of videos,
    > uninterrupted by screen savers or display shutdowns. So, I went to the
    > KDE Control Center and disabled the screen saver and the monitor power
    > controls. I made sure I clicked on "APPLY" and went to my video.
    >
    > Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the

    Double check the settings under kcontrol/peripherals/Display. Ensure
    power management is ON, but the Standby After, Suspend After, and
    Power off after, are all set to Disabled.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

  5. Re: monitor power control

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:18:42 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm currently running Mandriva 2007.1 Free as a single-user, desktop
    >> system. According to the little icon in the system tray, it is
    >> up-to-date. Last night I wanted to watch a couple of videos,
    >> uninterrupted by screen savers or display shutdowns. So, I went to the
    >> KDE Control Center and disabled the screen saver and the monitor power
    >> controls. I made sure I clicked on "APPLY" and went to my video.
    >>
    >> Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the

    > Double check the settings under kcontrol/peripherals/Display. Ensure
    > power management is ON, but the Standby After, Suspend After, and
    > Power off after, are all set to Disabled.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Maybe that's it. I tried setting them all to 118 minutes, but not to 0.
    I also tried disabling power management. I've now set them to zero and
    that disabled them. I hope.

    TJ

  6. Re: monitor power control

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > TJ wrote:
    >> Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the
    >> show. No screen saver, just a blank screen.

    >> Thinking this might be some root setting that was overriding the
    >> ordinary user settings, I looked for something in the Mandriva Control
    >> Center that I could change. Nope. Didn't find anything that looked
    >> related to this problem.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something here?

    > Your BIOS may have configuration settings for saving power.
    > This is the most likely origin of otherwise inexplicable
    > screen blanking.
    >
    > MCC offers a list of services that can be started/stopped.
    > Those may contain routines controlling power to the monitor.
    > (Think advanced power control interface or something similar.)
    >
    > KDE has settings under Appearance/Screen Saver and under
    > Peripherals/Display/Power Control.
    >
    > Any other applications installed that provide power management
    > functions may also require attention.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > jim b.

    ACPI is enabled, both in the BIOS and in the LILO boot configuration.
    Seems to me like I had to do that when I first used Linux with this
    computer (Mandrake 10.1), or it wouldn't power down by itself during
    shutdown. I just kept using the same settings ever since. I've only
    recently had the hardware to watch lengthy videos, though.

    There was also a video-specific control in the BIOS... Video... Video...
    Dang, I've forgotten the term now. Something under the power management
    group of settings. It's been OFF, any way.

    TJ

  7. Re: monitor power control

    Jim Beard wrote:
    > TJ wrote:
    >> Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the
    >> show. No screen saver, just a blank screen.

    >> Thinking this might be some root setting that was overriding the
    >> ordinary user settings, I looked for something in the Mandriva Control
    >> Center that I could change. Nope. Didn't find anything that looked
    >> related to this problem.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something here?

    > Your BIOS may have configuration settings for saving power.
    > This is the most likely origin of otherwise inexplicable
    > screen blanking.
    >
    > MCC offers a list of services that can be started/stopped.
    > Those may contain routines controlling power to the monitor.
    > (Think advanced power control interface or something similar.)
    >
    > KDE has settings under Appearance/Screen Saver and under
    > Peripherals/Display/Power Control.
    >
    > Any other applications installed that provide power management
    > functions may also require attention.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > jim b.

    I tried various enabled/disabled settings for ACPI in both LILO and my
    BIOS. Unless both are enabled, my computer won't power down
    automatically during the shutdown sequence. That's even more annoying
    than having to move my mouse during a video.

    Must be something else I can do.

    TJ

  8. Re: monitor power control

    David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:18:42 -0400, TJ wrote:
    >
    >> I'm currently running Mandriva 2007.1 Free as a single-user, desktop
    >> system. According to the little icon in the system tray, it is
    >> up-to-date. Last night I wanted to watch a couple of videos,
    >> uninterrupted by screen savers or display shutdowns. So, I went to the
    >> KDE Control Center and disabled the screen saver and the monitor power
    >> controls. I made sure I clicked on "APPLY" and went to my video.
    >>
    >> Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the

    > Double check the settings under kcontrol/peripherals/Display. Ensure
    > power management is ON, but the Standby After, Suspend After, and
    > Power off after, are all set to Disabled.
    >
    > Regards, Dave Hodgins

    Didn't help. I still get the blank screen after 20 minutes, and an
    "invalid sync" message from my monitor a few minutes later if I don't
    move my mouse.

    I still think some root setting is taking control when the user settings
    are less stringent than it is. Some sort of minimum that only root can
    change. It may not be supposed to work that way, but that's what it acts
    like to me.

    TJ

  9. Re: monitor power control

    TJ writes:

    > Jim Beard wrote:
    >> TJ wrote:
    >>> Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the
    >>> show. No screen saver, just a blank screen.

    >>> Thinking this might be some root setting that was overriding the
    >>> ordinary user settings, I looked for something in the Mandriva
    >>> Control Center that I could change. Nope. Didn't find anything that
    >>> looked related to this problem.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something here?

    >> Your BIOS may have configuration settings for saving power.
    >> This is the most likely origin of otherwise inexplicable
    >> screen blanking.
    >> MCC offers a list of services that can be started/stopped.
    >> Those may contain routines controlling power to the monitor.
    >> (Think advanced power control interface or something similar.)
    >> KDE has settings under Appearance/Screen Saver and under
    >> Peripherals/Display/Power Control.
    >> Any other applications installed that provide power management
    >> functions may also require attention.
    >> HTH
    >> jim b.
    >>

    > I tried various enabled/disabled settings for ACPI in both LILO and my
    > BIOS. Unless both are enabled, my computer won't power down
    > automatically during the shutdown sequence. That's even more annoying
    > than having to move my mouse during a video.
    >
    > Must be something else I can do.

    In a terminal do:

    xset -dpms

  10. Re: monitor power control

    TJ wrote:
    > I'm currently running Mandriva 2007.1 Free as a single-user, desktop
    > system. According to the little icon in the system tray, it is
    > up-to-date. Last night I wanted to watch a couple of videos,
    > uninterrupted by screen savers or display shutdowns. So, I went to the
    > KDE Control Center and disabled the screen saver and the monitor power
    > controls. I made sure I clicked on "APPLY" and went to my video.
    >
    > Imagine my surprise when the display went blank 20 minutes into the
    > show. No screen saver, just a blank screen. Moving the mouse brought it
    > back, but that was precisely the type of interruption I was trying to
    > avoid. Thinking that perhaps KDE had to be restarted before the changes
    > took effect(yes, I know - Windows thinking. Shouldn't be necessary with
    > Linux. It was worth a try, anyway.), I tried that - after first checking
    > the Control Center to be sure it was still as I left it. Then I went
    > back to my videos, only to be stopped again at the 20 minute barrier.
    >
    > Thinking this might be some root setting that was overriding the
    > ordinary user settings, I looked for something in the Mandriva Control
    > Center that I could change. Nope. Didn't find anything that looked
    > related to this problem.
    >
    > Am I missing something here? I freely admit, even after using Linux for
    > 5 1/2 years, I rarely have had to get into the guts of the thing and
    > muck around as root. I know little of what I'm doing there. I have no
    > idea what .conf or whatever file might need changing or how to change it.
    >
    > All I want to be able to do is lean back in my chair, put my feet up,
    > and watch a movie without having to move my mouse every few minutes. Is
    > that too much to ask?
    >
    > TJ

    I found the problem, and as I suspected, it's all my fault. It seems
    that somehow during installation of Mandriva 2007 Spring, kpowersave was
    installed, even though this is not a battery-powered computer. I must
    have checked it by accident when I was selecting packages to install.
    Once I discovered what that little power plug icon in the system tray
    was all about and removed kpowersave, everything started working as I
    wanted.

    I thank everyone who tried to help me. It's too bad I didn't investigate
    that unknown icon sooner, *before* I made a fool of myself.

    TJ

  11. Re: monitor power control

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:05:35 -0400, TJ wrote:

    > I found the problem, and as I suspected, it's all my fault. It seems
    > that somehow during installation of Mandriva 2007 Spring, kpowersave was
    > installed, even though this is not a battery-powered computer. I must

    kpowersave is still useful, even on a desktop, to help keep the cpu
    cooler, by lowering the freq., when the demand is low.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins