aMSN - Installed but .... - Mandriva

This is a discussion on aMSN - Installed but .... - Mandriva ; Once I had installed autopackage and aMSN from the aMSN web site, I thought it would be plain sailing. I was wrong. from the log-in, There was no access to 'Help'. Attempts to access either 'Online help' or 'FAQ' brought ...

  1. aMSN - Installed but ....

    Once I had installed autopackage and aMSN from the aMSN web site, I thought
    it would be plain sailing. I was wrong. from the log-in, There was no
    access to 'Help'. Attempts to access either 'Online help' or 'FAQ' brought
    aMSN Error 'Can't execute application mozilla $url (my preferred browser)
    check preferences'.

    Checking preferences brought nothing fruitful. The $HOME/.amsn directory had
    adequate read/write rights. The 'forget me' option on the lob-in dialog
    brought access to AMSN preferences. The browser field contained 'mozilla
    $url'..I changed it to /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox but that made no
    difference.

    I somehow got to Windows Live ID and registered an ID and password.
    Returning to the aMSN enabled me to get connected. But when trying to add
    contacts I became disconnected again. The browser thing seems to affect
    several parts of the operation. As for connetring to the web-cam ....
    Once again I could do with some hand-holding!

    Alan Secker

  2. Re: aMSN - Installed but ....

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:14:59 +0100, Alan Secker wrote:

    > Once I had installed autopackage and aMSN from the aMSN web site, I thought
    > it would be plain sailing. I was wrong...

    I had similar problems using the Mandriva RPM for aMSN 0.96. I must admit I
    found it easier and more fruitful to give up on aMSN and use Kopete
    instead. It has fewer features but it has what I need, and works fine out
    of the box.

    --
    Warren Post
    Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras