2008 on CDs? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on 2008 on CDs? - Mandriva ; Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather than just on a DVD?...

  1. 2008 on CDs?

    Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
    than just on a DVD?

  2. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:08:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
    > Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
    > than just on a DVD?

    You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
    http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...elopment/Beta2

  3. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:48:37 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:08:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
    >> Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs
    >> reather than just on a DVD?

    > You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...elopment/Beta2

    Think any of these effects will work with a dual monitor setup? 3D
    effects in 2007 fail completely with Gnome and only marginally work with
    KDE when running dual LCD's.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  4. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    Baldeagle wrote:

    >Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
    >than just on a DVD?

    I miss the CD version too.

    I occasionally need to put Linux on an old PC or laptop, with only a CD
    drive, and limited disk space, and being able to select which packages
    get installed was useful. The "One" CDs don't seem to allow you to
    select the packages, unless I'm missing something, and they expand to
    about 2.5G.

    I put Puppy Linux on a old laptop recently, and that worked OK. But I
    don't want to change from Mandriva, at the moment, because the other top
    Linux distros don't really have anything as good as the Mandriva Control
    Center for central system management that just works.

    --
    Dave Farrance

  5. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    JTJersey wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:48:37 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:08:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
    >>> Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs
    >>> reather than just on a DVD?

    >> You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...elopment/Beta2

    > Think any of these effects will work with a dual monitor setup? 3D
    > effects in 2007 fail completely with Gnome and only marginally work with
    > KDE when running dual LCD's.

    I'm running a legacy nvidia card so the wonders of 3D are out of my grasp
    but I refuse to change away from Mandriva and if and when the 3D becomes
    too inticive it will be that which causes me to upgrade my card. I skipped
    the M-Spring edition but if the 2008 is only on DVD it means having to fork
    out for a player and card.

  6. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:08:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
    >> Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
    >> than just on a DVD?

    > You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
    > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...elopment/Beta2

    I took a half hearted look at one of the Mandriva pages and only saw the DVD
    download for the beta2. As a matter of fact, that was what prompted me to
    pose the question in the first place. Again, I refuse to change away from
    Mandriva. I'm sure it's the best OS out there. This brings to mind another
    question. With all the new CPUs by Intel and AMD, how far along is Mandriva
    in supplying engins for the same. In other words, if I were finally to
    upgrade or buy a whole new rig, what would be my best move as a die hard
    Mandriva user?

  7. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    On 2007-08-27, Baldeagle wrote:
    > JTJersey wrote:

    >>> You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
    >>> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...elopment/Beta2

    >> Think any of these effects will work with a dual monitor setup? 3D
    >> effects in 2007 fail completely with Gnome and only marginally work with
    >> KDE when running dual LCD's.
    >>

    > I'm running a legacy nvidia card so the wonders of 3D are out of my grasp
    > but I refuse to change away from Mandriva and if and when the 3D becomes
    > too inticive it will be that which causes me to upgrade my card. I skipped
    > the M-Spring edition but if the 2008 is only on DVD it means having to fork
    > out for a player and card.

    Another option if you don't have a DVD is to use the hard
    disk installation method. Before attempting the
    installation, copy the ISO to a place on the new machine
    that won't be formatted by the installation. Burn a CD from
    the image named "boot.iso" and boot from that to start the
    installation.

    NFS installation might be another option if you have an NFS
    server the installation process can use to get at the DVD
    image or contents.

    HTH

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  8. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:34:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:08:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
    >>> Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs reather
    >>> than just on a DVD?

    >> You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...elopment/Beta2

    > I took a half hearted look at one of the Mandriva pages and only saw the DVD
    > download for the beta2.

    ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrak...el/iso/2008.0/

    > As a matter of fact, that was what prompted me to
    > pose the question in the first place. Again, I refuse to change away from
    > Mandriva. I'm sure it's the best OS out there.

    Best _distribution_ for easy install with good package selection with no
    hassles for the power user.

    > This brings to mind another question. With all the new CPUs by Intel
    > and AMD, how far along is Mandriva in supplying engins for the
    > same. In other words, if I were finally to upgrade or buy a whole
    > new rig, what would be my best move as a die hard Mandriva user?

    Do some homework on the video hardware. I have a 64 bit system. Not all
    plugins have been created for 64 bit. 2007.1 is causing problems on
    login. Mouse pointer is half the screen away from where video driver
    thinks it should be. Several logout/ins will get it right.
    Stinking ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 (RS480 5954 on board chip set) sucks.

    You need PLF-non free ati driver unless you want to do your own ATI
    video driver compile/install to get the video driver needed to play
    linux games.

    I picked up dvd burnner for my old Celeron 1 ghz box. No swapping cds
    during install is kinda nice.

    Downside, the non-free packages on cd and not on dvd for that beta set.

  9. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > On 2007-08-27, Baldeagle wrote:
    >> JTJersey wrote:

    >>> Think any of these effects will work with a dual monitor setup? 3D
    >>> effects in 2007 fail completely with Gnome and only marginally work with
    >>> KDE when running dual LCD's.
    >>>

    >> I'm running a legacy nvidia card so the wonders of 3D are out of my grasp
    >> but I refuse to change away from Mandriva and if and when the 3D becomes
    >> too inticive it will be that which causes me to upgrade my card. I
    >> skipped the M-Spring edition but if the 2008 is only on DVD it means
    >> having to fork out for a player and card.

    > Another option if you don't have a DVD is to use the hard
    > disk installation method. Before attempting the
    > installation, copy the ISO to a place on the new machine
    > that won't be formatted by the installation. Burn a CD from
    > the image named "boot.iso" and boot from that to start the
    > installation.
    >
    > NFS installation might be another option if you have an NFS
    > server the installation process can use to get at the DVD
    > image or contents.
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks Robert,
    The 'boot.iso' on a protected partition is a wonderful idea.

  10. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    On 2007-08-27, Baldeagle wrote:
    > Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >>> I'm running a legacy nvidia card so the wonders of 3D are out of my grasp
    >>> but I refuse to change away from Mandriva and if and when the 3D becomes
    >>> too inticive it will be that which causes me to upgrade my card. I
    >>> skipped the M-Spring edition but if the 2008 is only on DVD it means
    >>> having to fork out for a player and card.

    >> Another option if you don't have a DVD is to use the hard
    >> disk installation method. Before attempting the
    >> installation, copy the ISO to a place on the new machine
    >> that won't be formatted by the installation. Burn a CD from
    >> the image named "boot.iso" and boot from that to start the
    >> installation.
    >>
    >> NFS installation might be another option if you have an NFS
    >> server the installation process can use to get at the DVD
    >> image or contents.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>

    > Thanks Robert,
    > The 'boot.iso' on a protected partition is a wonderful idea.

    Just to make sure that was just a slip of the fingers and
    not a real misunderstanding. "boot.iso" is a rather small
    file and gets burned to a CD to get into the installer. You
    put the _REST_ of the DVD (or CD set) in a protected
    partition. (Actually, you put the whole DVE or CD set
    there.)

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  11. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 21:34:57 +0000, Baldeagle wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:08:57 GMT, Baldeagle wrote:
    >>> Does any one have an idea as to if 2008 will be available on CDs
    >>> reather than just on a DVD?

    >> You would think so if the beta2 cds/dvd is out.
    >> http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Releases...elopment/Beta2

    > I took a half hearted look at one of the Mandriva pages and only saw the
    > DVD download for the beta2. As a matter of fact, that was what prompted
    > me to pose the question in the first place. Again, I refuse to change
    > away from Mandriva. I'm sure it's the best OS out there. This brings to
    > mind another question. With all the new CPUs by Intel and AMD, how far
    > along is Mandriva in supplying engins for the same. In other words, if I
    > were finally to upgrade or buy a whole new rig, what would be my best
    > move as a die hard Mandriva user?

    I've got a stack of disks here with various distro's on them, but I still
    prefer Mandriva to any of the others as well. This Mandriva 2007.1
    system is by no means state of the art, but this 3.2Gig dual core pentium
    runs it just fine. I've no plans on moving to a 64bit system any time
    soon. It just doesn't sound like it's ready for prime time.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

  12. Re: 2008 on CDs?

    Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    >On 2007-08-27, Baldeagle wrote:
    >

    >>JTJersey wrote:

    >>>Think any of these effects will work with a dual monitor setup? 3D
    >>>effects in 2007 fail completely with Gnome and only marginally work with
    >>>KDE when running dual LCD's.
    >>>

    >>I'm running a legacy nvidia card so the wonders of 3D are out of my grasp
    >>but I refuse to change away from Mandriva and if and when the 3D becomes
    >>too inticive it will be that which causes me to upgrade my card. I skipped
    >>the M-Spring edition but if the 2008 is only on DVD it means having to fork
    >>out for a player and card.
    >>

    >Another option if you don't have a DVD is to use the hard
    >disk installation method. Before attempting the
    >installation, copy the ISO to a place on the new machine
    >that won't be formatted by the installation. Burn a CD from
    >the image named "boot.iso" and boot from that to start the
    >installation.
    >
    >NFS installation might be another option if you have an NFS
    >server the installation process can use to get at the DVD
    >image or contents.
    >
    >HTH

    This technique also works if the install DVD is on an external USB DVD
    drive;
    it's valuable for an older laptop which can't boot from USB & only has a
    CDROM. I tried it as an experiment & the USB install DVD for
    Mandriva-07 spring was detected & the install started. It was stopped
    early since MDK-07 was already installed by conventional methods.

+ Reply to Thread