direct rendering - glx on 2nd user - Mandriva

This is a discussion on direct rendering - glx on 2nd user - Mandriva ; Hi mandriva 2007.1 spring graphics card is intel 82845G/GL xorg driver is "i810" the 1st user that logs in gets "direct rendering = yes" in glxinfo, he can use glx and all the programs that use it... the 2nd (or ...

  1. direct rendering - glx on 2nd user

    Hi

    mandriva 2007.1 spring
    graphics card is intel 82845G/GL
    xorg driver is "i810"

    the 1st user that logs in gets "direct rendering = yes" in glxinfo, he can
    use glx and all the programs that use it...
    the 2nd (or 3rd) user login (in "start new session feature) get's direct
    rendering = no, and even a gl screensaver crashes the 2nd session X.
    this only appens if there are 2 X sessions in use.
    if they alternate users using just one x session, everything is allright.

    i've set systems like this before with other graphics cards like nvidia with
    no problems, could this be a limitation of the intel graphics driver?

    any hints?

    thanks a lot
    ArameFarpado

  2. Re: direct rendering - glx on 2nd user

    Em Sábado, 25 de Agosto de 2007 16:11, ArameFarpado escreveu:

    > the 1st user that logs in gets "direct rendering = yes" in glxinfo, he can
    > use glx and all the programs that use it...
    > the 2nd (or 3rd) user login (in "start new session feature) get's direct
    > rendering = no, and even a gl screensaver crashes the 2nd session X.
    > this only appens if there are 2 X sessions in use.
    > if they alternate users using just one x session, everything is allright.

    New details:

    in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

    glx is loading so is dri modules

    i've add this section that it wasn't there (i don't know why)

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    now... i have this settings on /dev/dri/card0

    right after the 1st user logs (user john) it stays on:
    crw------- john.root

    then after the 2nd user logs in a new X session (user paul) it turns to:
    crw-rw-rw john.root (this doesn't appened before adding the "Section DRI" in
    xorg.conf

    this looks allright now, but still only user john (logged in ctrl-alt-F7)
    gets direct rendering = yes.
    user paul logged in ctrl-alt-F8 gets direct rendering = no

    Please guys, give a hint here...

    Since mandrake changed to mandriva that i've been having situations like
    this... looks like mandriva is only configured to be used with one user
    at-a-time, the 2nd user allways gets some hardware blocked...
    in mandriva 2006 was the soundcard, then the cd/dvd drives, now is this.
    i use to solve this problems by editing files
    in /etc/security/console-perms.d/, but this time it is not working

    mandriva sould stop using this dumb configurations. why is there functions
    like "start new session", "change to user" and so on, if the second user
    can't use all the hardware ??

    anyway, can someone explain how in mandriva some /dev files changes
    it's "owner" to the 1st user logged? this doesn't happens in debian and
    it's breaking my head...

    help appreciated
    ArameFarpado

  3. Re: direct rendering - glx on 2nd user

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:31:46 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    > mandriva sould stop using this dumb configurations. why is there functions
    > like "start new session", "change to user" and so on, if the second user
    > can't use all the hardware ??
    > anyway, can someone explain how in mandriva some /dev files changes
    > it's "owner" to the 1st user logged? this doesn't happens in debian and
    > it's breaking my head...

    Maybe adding groups like audio, cdwriter,.... to users will help.

    I have runlevel 3 as default, and if I need a second gui login,
    Ctl+Alt+F2 login, then
    startx -- :1
    To switch Ctl+Alt+F7 (user1) Ctl+Alt+F8 (user2)

    So far, I can run apps in other accounts via ssh with no problems.
    I use a separate account for each internet activity, browsing, usenet,
    each email account, bank usage, gnucash, ....

  4. Re: direct rendering - glx on 2nd user

    Em Terça, 28 de Agosto de 2007 00:00, Bit Twister escreveu:

    Hi

    > Maybe adding groups like audio, cdwriter,.... to users will help.

    that is allready done, it was the first step i took... but that doesn't
    solve everything: example, /dev/cdrom was set to 1stuser.audio with 0600
    permissions, so even if the 2nduser is a member of the audio group it
    doesn't do him much good as the /dev is only allowing the owner to use it,
    strangely, only the eject command failed...

    i have been correcting stuff like this in /etc/security/console.perms.d/
    files, and i've done this in several mandriva instalations...
    in the time of mandrake, never had problems with this.

    looks like very few people use the "start new session" in kde, or it would
    be much more complaints about this...

    > I have runlevel 3 as default, and if I need a second gui login,
    > Ctl+Alt+F2 login, then
    > startx -- :1
    > To switch Ctl+Alt+F7 (user1) Ctl+Alt+F8 (user2)
    >
    > So far, I can run apps in other accounts via ssh with no problems.
    > I use a separate account for each internet activity, browsing, usenet,
    > each email account, bank usage, gnucash, ....

    wow... multiple personalities ?

    Humm, this Pc is for my nephews, don't wanna force then to use console...
    logins will be done with kdm and they will be using GUIs all the time.

    i just found another diagnostic tool (xdpyinfo), and tomorrow i'll be doing
    a few more tests...

    until then, thanks
    ArameFarpado

  5. Re: direct rendering - glx on 2nd user

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:36:53 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:

    >> Maybe adding groups like audio, cdwriter,.... to users will help.

    > that is allready done, it was the first step i took... but that doesn't
    > solve everything: example, /dev/cdrom was set to 1stuser.audio

    How odd,

    $ ls -al /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Aug 26 00:19 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

    $ ls -al /dev/hdc
    brw-rw---- 1 bittwister cdwriter 22, 0 Aug 26 00:19 /dev/hdc

    > with 0600
    > permissions, so even if the 2nduser is a member of the audio group it
    > doesn't do him much good as the /dev is only allowing the owner to use it,

    Well maybe it's because I am running 2007.1 but I gui logged in as
    junk (id 500) clicked Devices, click cdrom. As you can see junk has
    the device.

    $ mount | grep hdc
    /dev/hdc on /media/2008-Free-i586-CD1 type iso9660
    (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uhelper=hal,uid=500,utf8)

    so junk has contol but as bittwister (id 1500) I can "use it"

    $ whoami
    bittwister

    $ ls /media/2008-Free-i586-CD1/i586
    autorun.inf dosutils INSTALL.txt linuxboot.cfg product.id
    COPYING export isolinux media README.txt
    default.xbe index.htm lang misc release-notes.txt
    doc install LICENSE.txt pkg-2008.0-galile.idx VERSION

    > strangely, only the eject command failed...

    That I can agree on.

    $ eject /dev/hdc
    /sbin/umount.hal: Unmounting /media/2008-Free-i586-CD1 failed:
    org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolic y:
    hal-storage-can-unmount-volumes-mounted-by-others refused uid 1500
    eject: unmount of `/media/2008-Free-i586-CD1' failed

    In my case junk mounted it, junk will have to release (umount) it.

  6. Re: direct rendering - glx on 2nd user

    Em Terça, 28 de Agosto de 2007 01:03, Bit Twister escreveu:

    Okay Bit... i see the picture now:
    this is not a permissions problem, it is a intel i810 limitation...
    i've done
    startx -- :0 (and got dri capable)
    then
    startx -- :1 (with the exact same user and got dri desable...)

    strange this graphics card is poor but googleearth runs nice with it, and
    evem most of the GL games. only looks like it can't feed to virtual
    screens

    this machine is requiring a better card.

    > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:36:53 +0100, ArameFarpado wrote:
    >
    >>> Maybe adding groups like audio, cdwriter,.... to users will help.

    >> that is allready done, it was the first step i took... but that doesn't
    >> solve everything: example, /dev/cdrom was set to 1stuser.audio

    > How odd,
    >
    > $ ls -al /dev/cdrom
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Aug 26 00:19 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
    >
    > $ ls -al /dev/hdc
    > brw-rw---- 1 bittwister cdwriter 22, 0 Aug 26 00:19 /dev/hdc

    yeah... i wonder how this is done...

    this thing doesn't work like this in debian: root owns all the /dev, some
    has group settings and permissions never change. you just need to make
    users been members of the right groups.

    >> with 0600
    >> permissions, so even if the 2nduser is a member of the audio group it
    >> doesn't do him much good as the /dev is only allowing the owner to use
    >> it,

    > Well maybe it's because I am running 2007.1 but I gui logged in as
    > junk (id 500) clicked Devices, click cdrom. As you can see junk has
    > the device.

    > $ mount | grep hdc
    > /dev/hdc on /media/2008-Free-i586-CD1 type iso9660

    (ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uhelper=hal,uid=500,utf8)

    > so junk has contol but as bittwister (id 1500) I can "use it"
    >
    > $ whoami
    > bittwister
    >
    > $ ls /media/2008-Free-i586-CD1/i586
    > autorun.inf dosutils INSTALL.txt linuxboot.cfg product.id
    > COPYING export isolinux media README.txt
    > default.xbe index.htm lang misc
    > release-notes.txt
    > doc install LICENSE.txt pkg-2008.0-galile.idx VERSION
    >

    >> strangely, only the eject command failed...

    > That I can agree on.
    >
    > $ eject /dev/hdc
    > /sbin/umount.hal: Unmounting /media/2008-Free-i586-CD1 failed:
    > org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolic y:
    > hal-storage-can-unmount-volumes-mounted-by-others refused uid
    > 1500 eject: unmount of `/media/2008-Free-i586-CD1' failed
    >
    > In my case junk mounted it, junk will have to release (umount) it.

    Yeah, but i use to put "user,users" options in fstab for all removable
    devices. That was not the situation. I allways change fstab in every
    installation to: desable supermount, put user,users in removable devices,
    and remove sync in floppies and usb-volumes.

    Mandriva is my elected distro for people that don't know much about how pcs
    works, because it has a great control-pannel and it is the only one that
    let's you open a cd-drive without unmounting it (by pressing the cd
    button)... i've seen users having to force-reboot because of a scratched
    cd, when the cd can't be read and it can't be unmounted because device is
    busy... ejecting it by hand, makes the program that is trying to read it
    giving up and things get to normal...

    best regards
    ArameFarpado

+ Reply to Thread