aMSN ./compile errors - Mandriva

This is a discussion on aMSN ./compile errors - Mandriva ; This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone. Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source. The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: aMSN ./compile errors

  1. aMSN ./compile errors

    This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.

    Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.

    The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
    directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
    was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
    already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
    a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
    cooker versions by the way,





  2. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker writes:

    > This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >
    > Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    > Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >
    > The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
    > directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
    > was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
    > already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
    > a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
    > cooker versions by the way,


    Let me be the first to say: "post the error message".

    Normally make will complain about a missing file.
    Use urpmf to find the package name containing the file
    then use urpmi to install the package.

    In this case you're probably missing a tcl-devel package.

  3. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >
    > Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    > Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >


    What version of Mandriva Linux are you using? I use 2007.0, 32-bit and the
    autopackage version of aMSN installed perfectly. This package mechanism
    does the compile, etc. and then installs the actual application on the
    system correctly. http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php

    HTH

    Rob.

  4. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    In article , Alan Secker wrote:
    >This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >
    > Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    >Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >
    >The ./configure stage bombed out because it couldn't find 'the Tcl
    >directory'. A tcl package WAS installed so I was baffled. The aMSN forum
    >was no help. A request for help was answered by 'check the FAQ' (which I
    >already had) none of the matters mentioned were helpful. Does anyone have
    >a clue as to what might be wrong? (I tried both the release and the latest
    >cooker versions by the way,


    You will probably need the tcl-dev or tcl-devel or similar package which
    should contain the headers and the libraries to link against.

    Once you've installed the relevant one for your distro, aMSN's configure
    script might need to be told where Mandriva puts the TCL headers, or it
    might autodetect it. I don't use Mandriva but I'd certainly start with
    making sure the TCL -dev package was installed.

    Apols as usual if teaching grannies ...

    Nick
    --
    Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 24th August 2007)

    "The Internet, an ersatz counterfeit of real life"
    -- Janet Street-Porter, BBC2, 19th March 1996

  5. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Rob wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    >> Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >>

    >
    > What version of Mandriva Linux are you using? I use 2007.0, 32-bit and
    > the
    > autopackage version of aMSN installed perfectly. This package mechanism
    > does the compile, etc. and then installs the actual application on the
    > system correctly. http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Rob.


    Typical! There was I trying to do it the hard way!

    Thanks Rob (and everyone else). It worked a treat.

    Alan

  6. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker wrote:

    >This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >
    > Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    >Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.


    Have you got an aversion to Mandriva's own package manager, Alan?

    It's always better to use the packages from Mandriva's own repository,
    where possible, because those will have been debugged against Mandriva.
    In any case, using package management is the linux-distribution "way",
    not going on a web safari to find your software on some obscure website
    which is the Windows-freeware way.

    [dsf: ~]$ urpmq -f amsn
    amsn-0.96-2mdv2007.1.i586

    Or, if you must have the latest version:

    [dsf: ~]$ urpmq -f amsn --media backports
    amsn-0.97-0.RC1.1mdv2007.1.i586

    --
    Dave Farrance

  7. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Rob wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    >> Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >>

    >
    > What version of Mandriva Linux are you using? I use 2007.0, 32-bit and
    > the
    > autopackage version of aMSN installed perfectly. This package mechanism
    > does the compile, etc. and then installs the actual application on the
    > system correctly. http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Rob.


    You are quite right Rob, because I couldn't see a binary bersion for
    my dustro/version I jumped to the conclusion that I would have to
    compile. The autopackage machinery really works! Unfortunately, aMSN
    doesn't seem to like my system! As you can see from a separate post,
    I can log on but thereafter everything is unavailable because of
    this 'cannot find mozilla $url' that pops up whenever I try most
    menu items including 'Help'. If I try to recover messages, I just
    fet a blank dialog box.

    Alan

  8. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >>>
    >>> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable for
    >>> Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >>>

    >>
    >> What version of Mandriva Linux are you using? I use 2007.0, 32-bit and
    >> the
    >> autopackage version of aMSN installed perfectly. This package mechanism
    >> does the compile, etc. and then installs the actual application on the
    >> system correctly. http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Rob.

    >
    > You are quite right Rob, because I couldn't see a binary bersion for
    > my dustro/version I jumped to the conclusion that I would have to
    > compile. The autopackage machinery really works! Unfortunately, aMSN
    > doesn't seem to like my system! As you can see from a separate post,
    > I can log on but thereafter everything is unavailable because of
    > this 'cannot find mozilla $url' that pops up whenever I try most
    > menu items including 'Help'. If I try to recover messages, I just
    > fet a blank dialog box.
    >


    Alan

    Try the following:

    1) Use File menu, then Preferences
    2) Click on 'Others' tab and change the text in the 'Browser' box
    to 'firefox $url', without the single quote.
    3) Then Click 'Save' button, and then Close button.
    4) On tray icon, right-click 'Quit', then restart aMSN and the problem you
    had *should* go away.

    Not sure what you mean when you say 'If I try to recover messages, I just
    fet a blank dialog box' - What blank dialog box? What msgs to recover? Hang
    on a sec... Do you mean hotmail messages? If so, I'm guessing the problem
    is related to your specification of the browser - see above for probable
    solution

    HTH

    Rob.



  9. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Rob wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>
    >>> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN clone.
    >>>>
    >>>> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable
    >>>> for
    >>>> Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> What version of Mandriva Linux are you using? I use 2007.0, 32-bit and
    >>> the
    >>> autopackage version of aMSN installed perfectly. This package mechanism
    >>> does the compile, etc. and then installs the actual application on the
    >>> system correctly. http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> Rob.

    >>
    >> You are quite right Rob, because I couldn't see a binary bersion for
    >> my dustro/version I jumped to the conclusion that I would have to
    >> compile. The autopackage machinery really works! Unfortunately, aMSN
    >> doesn't seem to like my system! As you can see from a separate post,
    >> I can log on but thereafter everything is unavailable because of
    >> this 'cannot find mozilla $url' that pops up whenever I try most
    >> menu items including 'Help'. If I try to recover messages, I just
    >> fet a blank dialog box.
    >>

    >
    > Alan
    >
    > Try the following:
    >
    > 1) Use File menu, then Preferences
    > 2) Click on 'Others' tab and change the text in the 'Browser' box
    > to 'firefox $url', without the single quote.
    > 3) Then Click 'Save' button, and then Close button.
    > 4) On tray icon, right-click 'Quit', then restart aMSN and the problem you
    > had *should* go away.
    >
    > Not sure what you mean when you say 'If I try to recover messages, I just
    > fet a blank dialog box' - What blank dialog box? What msgs to recover?
    > Hang on a sec... Do you mean hotmail messages? If so, I'm guessing the
    > problem is related to your specification of the browser - see above for
    > probable solution
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Rob.


    That did it. Thank you. I'm eager to get audio and video going but I'll
    curtail my enthusiasm while I get used to what I now have access to.
    Thanks again.

    Alan



  10. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Rob wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>
    >>> Rob wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Alan Secker wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> This morning my daughter told me about aMSN a multi-platform MSN
    >>>>> clone.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Unfortunately none of the pre-compiled linux versions were suitable
    >>>>> for
    >>>>> Mandriva Linux (my preferred distro) so I downloaded the source.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> What version of Mandriva Linux are you using? I use 2007.0, 32-bit and
    >>>> the
    >>>> autopackage version of aMSN installed perfectly. This package
    >>>> mechanism does the compile, etc. and then installs the actual
    >>>> application on the system correctly.
    >>>> http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php
    >>>>
    >>>> HTH
    >>>>
    >>>> Rob.
    >>>
    >>> You are quite right Rob, because I couldn't see a binary bersion for
    >>> my dustro/version I jumped to the conclusion that I would have to
    >>> compile. The autopackage machinery really works! Unfortunately, aMSN
    >>> doesn't seem to like my system! As you can see from a separate post,
    >>> I can log on but thereafter everything is unavailable because of
    >>> this 'cannot find mozilla $url' that pops up whenever I try most
    >>> menu items including 'Help'. If I try to recover messages, I just
    >>> fet a blank dialog box.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Alan
    >>
    >> Try the following:
    >>
    >> 1) Use File menu, then Preferences
    >> 2) Click on 'Others' tab and change the text in the 'Browser' box
    >> to 'firefox $url', without the single quote.
    >> 3) Then Click 'Save' button, and then Close button.
    >> 4) On tray icon, right-click 'Quit', then restart aMSN and the problem
    >> you had *should* go away.
    >>
    >> Not sure what you mean when you say 'If I try to recover messages, I just
    >> fet a blank dialog box' - What blank dialog box? What msgs to recover?
    >> Hang on a sec... Do you mean hotmail messages? If so, I'm guessing the
    >> problem is related to your specification of the browser - see above for
    >> probable solution
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> Rob.

    >
    > That did it. Thank you. I'm eager to get audio and video going but I'll
    > curtail my enthusiasm while I get used to what I now have access to.



    Alan

    When you get around to fixing up audio & video, you hopefully will not find
    it *too* painful. There are a few pitfalls, mainly to do with the need to
    get codecs for win32 formats. The main one, IIRC, is called win32-codecs
    (via urpmi). Don't forget to include plf (free & non-free) media sources
    for urpmi.

    Ask here if you need help then too

    All the best,

    Rob.


  11. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Rob wrote:
    >
    > When you get around to fixing up audio & video, you hopefully will not
    > find
    > it *too* painful. There are a few pitfalls, mainly to do with the need to
    > get codecs for win32 formats. The main one, IIRC, is called win32-codecs
    > (via urpmi). Don't forget to include plf (free & non-free) media sources
    > for urpmi.
    >
    > Ask here if you need help then too
    >
    > All the best,
    >
    > Rob.


    Hi Rob

    Ae you sure your reasdy for this ?

    Audio and video apart, aMSN sems to be working properly. I installed
    win32-codecs using urpmi and then went for Audio and Video settings. It
    went like this:

    Select your webcam from a list:
    Choose your device:
    v4l2: USB Video Class device
    Choose a channel:
    The only one offered was camera
    aMSN then offers a low-resolution webcam (or not)
    a Black rectangle is displayed to the right of the dialog box.
    Selecting low-resolution web-cam causes it to be diminished.
    No options are available to adjust image quality.

    Next:
    Check if audio extension (Snack) is loaded. The white cross on a red
    basckground indicates that it is not.
    A pointer to the wiki is suggested as a possible solution. I found many of
    the answers to questions were less than complete. There is a presumption
    that the reader can read the writer';s mind in some cases!

    Next:

    You are firwalled, please check your Connection settings in the oreferences
    window. This puzzled me. I presumed that the solution lay with the firwall
    settings. In my case in my modem/router.

    Clicking 'Finish' brings up an error dialog saying that TK has brought (sic)
    an error, aMSN has a bug.

    I completed a report and sent it, only to get a message back saying that my
    IP ha already told them(?). Every time I click 'Finish', back comes the
    error dialog. The content of the error details is as follows:

    Can't read "brightness": no such variable
    while executing
    "::config::setKey "webcam$selecteddevice:$selectedchannel" "$brightness
    $contrast:$hue:$color""
    (procedure "::AVAssistant::finish" line 18)
    invoked from within
    "::AVAssistant::finish .assistant3 .assistant3.bodyf.contentf"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
    "eval $finishProc $self [$self clearContentFrame]"
    (procedure "::assistant::Snit_methodfinish" line 20)
    invoked from within
    "::assistant::Snit_methodfinish ::assistant ::assistant::Snit_inst4 .assistant3 .assistant3"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel 1 $command $args"
    invoked from within
    ".assistant3 finish"
    invoked from within
    ".assistant3.buttonf.next invoke"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel #0[list $w invoke]"
    (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 22)
    invoked from within
    "tk::ButtonUp .assistant3.buttonf.next"
    (command bound to event)

    What do you reckon?

    Regards

    Alan


  12. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Alan Secker wrote:

    > Rob wrote:
    >>
    >> When you get around to fixing up audio & video, you hopefully will not
    >> find
    >> it *too* painful. There are a few pitfalls, mainly to do with the need
    >> to
    >> get codecs for win32 formats. The main one, IIRC, is called win32-codecs
    >> (via urpmi). Don't forget to include plf (free & non-free) media sources
    >> for urpmi.
    >>
    >> Ask here if you need help then too
    >>
    >> All the best,
    >>
    >> Rob.

    >
    > Hi Rob
    >
    > Ae you sure your reasdy for this ?
    >
    > Audio and video apart, aMSN sems to be working properly. I installed
    > win32-codecs using urpmi and then went for Audio and Video settings. It
    > went like this:
    >
    > Select your webcam from a list:
    > Choose your device:
    > v4l2: USB Video Class device
    > Choose a channel:
    > The only one offered was camera
    > aMSN then offers a low-resolution webcam (or not)
    > a Black rectangle is displayed to the right of the dialog box.
    > Selecting low-resolution web-cam causes it to be diminished.
    > No options are available to adjust image quality.
    >
    > Next:
    > Check if audio extension (Snack) is loaded. The white cross on a red
    > basckground indicates that it is not.
    > A pointer to the wiki is suggested as a possible solution. I found many of
    > the answers to questions were less than complete. There is a presumption
    > that the reader can read the writer';s mind in some cases!
    >
    > Next:
    >
    > You are firwalled, please check your Connection settings in the
    > oreferences window. This puzzled me. I presumed that the solution lay with
    > the firwall settings. In my case in my modem/router.
    >
    > Clicking 'Finish' brings up an error dialog saying that TK has brought
    > (sic) an error, aMSN has a bug.
    >
    > I completed a report and sent it, only to get a message back saying that
    > my IP ha already told them(?). Every time I click 'Finish', back comes the
    > error dialog. The content of the error details is as follows:
    >
    > Can't read "brightness": no such variable
    > while executing
    > "::config::setKey "webcam$selecteddevice:$selectedchannel" "$brightness
    > $contrast:$hue:$color""
    > (procedure "::AVAssistant::finish" line 18)
    > invoked from within
    > "::AVAssistant::finish .assistant3 .assistant3.bodyf.contentf"
    > ("eval" body line 1)
    > invoked from within
    > "eval $finishProc $self [$self clearContentFrame]"
    > (procedure "::assistant::Snit_methodfinish" line 20)
    > invoked from within
    > "::assistant::Snit_methodfinish ::assistant ::assistant::Snit_inst4
    > .assistant3 .assistant3"
    > ("uplevel" body line 1)
    > invoked from within
    > "uplevel 1 $command $args"
    > invoked from within
    > ".assistant3 finish"
    > invoked from within
    > ".assistant3.buttonf.next invoke"
    > ("uplevel" body line 1)
    > invoked from within
    > "uplevel #0[list $w invoke]"
    > (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 22)
    > invoked from within
    > "tk::ButtonUp .assistant3.buttonf.next"
    > (command bound to event)


    Alan

    I actually mentioned the codecs because I thought you were setting up video
    & audio for the whole system, not just aMSN.

    As regards the aMSN webcam settings, I can't help you there. I'd contact the
    aMSN folks directly with the error details and get them to check out the
    problem. I've found them to be very helpful when I've needed to contact
    them.

    Rob.



  13. Re: aMSN ./compile errors

    Rob wrote:

    > Alan Secker wrote:
    >
    >> Rob wrote:
    >>>
    >>> When you get around to fixing up audio & video, you hopefully will not
    >>> find
    >>> it *too* painful. There are a few pitfalls, mainly to do with the need
    >>> to
    >>> get codecs for win32 formats. The main one, IIRC, is called
    >>> win32-codecs
    >>> (via urpmi). Don't forget to include plf (free & non-free) media
    >>> sources for urpmi.
    >>>
    >>> Ask here if you need help then too
    >>>
    >>> All the best,
    >>>
    >>> Rob.

    >>
    >> Hi Rob
    >>
    >> Ae you sure your reasdy for this ?
    >>
    >> Audio and video apart, aMSN sems to be working properly. I installed
    >> win32-codecs using urpmi and then went for Audio and Video settings. It
    >> went like this:
    >>
    >> Select your webcam from a list:
    >> Choose your device:
    >> v4l2: USB Video Class device
    >> Choose a channel:
    >> The only one offered was camera
    >> aMSN then offers a low-resolution webcam (or not)
    >> a Black rectangle is displayed to the right of the dialog box.
    >> Selecting low-resolution web-cam causes it to be diminished.
    >> No options are available to adjust image quality.
    >>
    >> Next:
    >> Check if audio extension (Snack) is loaded. The white cross on a red
    >> basckground indicates that it is not.
    >> A pointer to the wiki is suggested as a possible solution. I found many
    >> of the answers to questions were less than complete. There is a
    >> presumption that the reader can read the writer';s mind in some cases!
    >>
    >> Next:
    >>
    >> You are firwalled, please check your Connection settings in the
    >> oreferences window. This puzzled me. I presumed that the solution lay
    >> with the firwall settings. In my case in my modem/router.
    >>
    >> Clicking 'Finish' brings up an error dialog saying that TK has brought
    >> (sic) an error, aMSN has a bug.
    >>
    >> I completed a report and sent it, only to get a message back saying that
    >> my IP ha already told them(?). Every time I click 'Finish', back comes
    >> the error dialog. The content of the error details is as follows:
    >>
    >> Can't read "brightness": no such variable
    >> while executing
    >> "::config::setKey "webcam$selecteddevice:$selectedchannel" "$brightness
    >> $contrast:$hue:$color""
    >> (procedure "::AVAssistant::finish" line 18)
    >> invoked from within
    >> "::AVAssistant::finish .assistant3 .assistant3.bodyf.contentf"
    >> ("eval" body line 1)
    >> invoked from within
    >> "eval $finishProc $self [$self clearContentFrame]"
    >> (procedure "::assistant::Snit_methodfinish" line 20)
    >> invoked from within
    >> "::assistant::Snit_methodfinish ::assistant ::assistant::Snit_inst4
    >> .assistant3 .assistant3"
    >> ("uplevel" body line 1)
    >> invoked from within
    >> "uplevel 1 $command $args"
    >> invoked from within
    >> ".assistant3 finish"
    >> invoked from within
    >> ".assistant3.buttonf.next invoke"
    >> ("uplevel" body line 1)
    >> invoked from within
    >> "uplevel #0[list $w invoke]"
    >> (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 22)
    >> invoked from within
    >> "tk::ButtonUp .assistant3.buttonf.next"
    >> (command bound to event)

    >
    > Alan
    >
    > I actually mentioned the codecs because I thought you were setting up
    > video & audio for the whole system, not just aMSN.
    >
    > As regards the aMSN webcam settings, I can't help you there. I'd contact
    > the aMSN folks directly with the error details and get them to check out
    > the problem. I've found them to be very helpful when I've needed to
    > contact them.
    >
    > Rob.


    I'll do that. Thanks for your help Rob.

    --
    I am told that it is impossible to make a program foolproof because fools
    are so ingenious.

+ Reply to Thread