Tripwire alternatives? - Mandriva

This is a discussion on Tripwire alternatives? - Mandriva ; I've never had any security issues (to my knowledge), but have lost the appetite for checking logs etc. (probably never had it). Is tripwire still the file checker of choice? Lordy...

  1. Tripwire alternatives?

    I've never had any security issues (to my knowledge), but have lost the
    appetite for checking logs etc. (probably never had it).

    Is tripwire still the file checker of choice?

    Lordy

  2. Re: Tripwire alternatives?

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 01:15:09 +0000 (UTC), lordy wrote:
    > I've never had any security issues (to my knowledge), but have lost the
    > appetite for checking logs etc. (probably never had it).
    >
    > Is tripwire still the file checker of choice?

    If that's your choice. :-D

    another one, http://sourceforge.net/projects/aide
    then there is http://la-samhna.de/samhain/s_documentation.html

  3. Re: Tripwire alternatives?

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 01:15:09 +0000, lordy wrote:

    > I've never had any security issues (to my knowledge), but have lost the
    > appetite for checking logs etc. (probably never had it).
    >
    > Is tripwire still the file checker of choice?

    On a Mandriva system, you can also use rpm -Va which will tell you how the
    system files have changed since installed. Of course config files should
    change. And this will not check files which you put into the system not
    via rpm. Tripwire will check all files for changes.

  4. Re: Tripwire alternatives?

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 03:18:30 GMT, Bill Unruh wrote:

    > On a Mandriva system, you can also use rpm -Va which will tell you how the
    > system files have changed since installed. Of course config files should
    > change. And this will not check files which you put into the system not
    > via rpm. Tripwire will check all files for changes.

    Mandriva security subsystem will do that for you plus noting any removed/added
    packages then mail you the results around 4am.

  5. Re: Tripwire alternatives?

    Bill Unruh wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 01:15:09 +0000, lordy wrote:
    > > Is tripwire still the file checker of choice?

    > On a Mandriva system, you can also use rpm -Va which will tell you how the
    > system files have changed since installed. Of course config files should
    > change. And this will not check files which you put into the system not
    > via rpm.

    On Mandriva you should also look at your security level; I use the
    default one, whose name I forget right now. That level configures msec
    to run some security checks nightly.

    > Tripwire will check all files for changes.

    Rather, it can check all files. But, it actually checks those files
    listed in its configuration file.

    Cheers....

    Show Windows & Gates to the exit door.