mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive - Mandriva

This is a discussion on mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive - Mandriva ; mandriva says there's not enough space on a 36gb drive to install. what the world is wrong? i said to use the entire drive and it won't install any GUI. it says not enough space. this is impossible since a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

  1. mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    mandriva says there's not enough space on a 36gb drive to install. what the
    world is wrong? i said to use the entire drive and it won't install any GUI.
    it says not enough space. this is impossible since a 36gb drive is way huge
    for the whole full install even. it don't take that much spoace.

    I just boot from the mandriva 2007 spring dvd and say to use the whole disk.
    then when it gets to choose what you want to install it won't let you
    install any gui as it says not enough space.



  2. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:28:34 -0400, AMD wrote:

    > mandriva says there's not enough space on a 36gb drive to install. what the


    Something is certainly messed up. I suspect it has selected something
    other then your hard drive, such as a usb thumb drive, to try and install
    on, or it isn't deleting the existing partition(s).

    If you have a live cd you can boot from, can you post the output of
    fdisk -l
    which has to be run as root.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  3. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:28:34 -0700, AMD wrote:

    > mandriva says there's not enough space on a 36gb drive to install. what the
    > world is wrong? i said to use the entire drive and it won't install any GUI.
    > it says not enough space. this is impossible since a 36gb drive is way huge
    > for the whole full install even. it don't take that much spoace.
    >
    > I just boot from the mandriva 2007 spring dvd and say to use the whole disk.
    > then when it gets to choose what you want to install it won't let you
    > install any gui as it says not enough space.


    Boot the dvd. Go to rescue and then console and run fdisk -l /dev/hda or
    wherever your drive is. -l is a lower case L. Exp:

    [root@wes2 wes]# fdisk -l /dev/hda

    Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 459 3686886 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
    /dev/hda2 460 14593 113531355 5 Extended
    /dev/hda5 460 560 811251 83 Linux
    /dev/hda6 561 661 811251 82 Linux swap
    /dev/hda7 662 788 1020096 83 Linux
    /dev/hda8 789 2062 10233373+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda9 2063 2316 2040223+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda10 2317 8052 46074388+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda11 8053 8678 5028313+ 83 Linux
    /dev/hda12 8679 14593 47512206 83 Linux
    [root@wes2 wes]#


    --
    Want the ultimate in free OTA SD/HDTV Recorder? http://mythtv.org
    http://mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html Usenet alt.video.ptv.mythtv
    My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
    HD Tivo S3 compared http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/mythtivo.htm


  4. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    AMD wrote:
    > mandriva says there's not enough space on a 36gb drive to install. what
    > the world is wrong? i said to use the entire drive and it won't install
    > any GUI. it says not enough space. this is impossible since a 36gb drive
    > is way huge for the whole full install even. it don't take that much
    > spoace.
    >
    > I just boot from the mandriva 2007 spring dvd and say to use the whole
    > disk. then when it gets to choose what you want to install it won't let
    > you install any gui as it says not enough space.
    >

    If it is giving too little space to /usr and too much to /home, you
    might get this. Try custom disk layout, and make sure /usr has enough
    space, like 7 or 8 gig.
    Art

  5. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive


    "art" wrote in message
    news:46ce08e6$0$31854$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    > AMD wrote:
    >> mandriva says there's not enough space on a 36gb drive to install. what
    >> the world is wrong? i said to use the entire drive and it won't install
    >> any GUI. it says not enough space. this is impossible since a 36gb drive
    >> is way huge for the whole full install even. it don't take that much
    >> spoace.
    >>
    >> I just boot from the mandriva 2007 spring dvd and say to use the whole
    >> disk. then when it gets to choose what you want to install it won't let
    >> you install any gui as it says not enough space.
    >>

    > If it is giving too little space to /usr and too much to /home, you might
    > get this. Try custom disk layout, and make sure /usr has enough space,
    > like 7 or 8 gig.
    > Art


    Thanks guys. I have no clue how to do that durring the install.
    I tried it on my raid 0 too and it would not install. It gave the same
    problem. The raid 0 was 68gb too.
    But you tell it to take over the whole drive and it doesn't let you do
    anything with the partitions. I actually forget if it did.
    I would think it should know better because previous versiuons of Mandrake
    and other linkux years ago never gave me any type of issues like this for
    the install process.

    Just so you know I basically don't know much about linux.

    I'll try again only this time will do a custom install/partition job and
    make sure the /usr and /home are big enough. What I want is few as possible
    partitions. I know you need swap and /home and I think that's it. I don't
    know though. None of this matters though in that I'm just wanting to try
    this version of Mandriva for a little bit unless I really get iunto it.



  6. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive



    AMD wrote:
    >
    > "art" wrote in message
    > news:46ce08e6$0$31854$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    >> AMD wrote:
    >>> mandriva says there's not enough space on a 36gb drive to install.
    >>> what the world is wrong? i said to use the entire drive and it won't
    >>> install any GUI. it says not enough space. this is impossible since a
    >>> 36gb drive is way huge for the whole full install even. it don't take
    >>> that much spoace.
    >>>
    >>> I just boot from the mandriva 2007 spring dvd and say to use the
    >>> whole disk. then when it gets to choose what you want to install it
    >>> won't let you install any gui as it says not enough space.
    >>>

    >> If it is giving too little space to /usr and too much to /home, you
    >> might get this. Try custom disk layout, and make sure /usr has enough
    >> space, like 7 or 8 gig.
    >> Art

    >
    > Thanks guys. I have no clue how to do that durring the install.
    > I tried it on my raid 0 too and it would not install. It gave the same
    > problem. The raid 0 was 68gb too.
    > But you tell it to take over the whole drive and it doesn't let you do
    > anything with the partitions. I actually forget if it did.
    > I would think it should know better because previous versiuons of
    > Mandrake and other linkux years ago never gave me any type of issues
    > like this for the install process.
    >
    > Just so you know I basically don't know much about linux.
    >
    > I'll try again only this time will do a custom install/partition job and
    > make sure the /usr and /home are big enough. What I want is few as
    > possible partitions. I know you need swap and /home and I think that's
    > it. I don't know though. None of this matters though in that I'm just
    > wanting to try this version of Mandriva for a little bit unless I really
    > get iunto it.



    you need about 8.4 to 10 gb for /
    about 3.8 for swap assuming 32 bit system
    an whatever is left for /home.

    this is what using the ato alocate button gave me for my p4 desktop,
    200gb and my laptop 60gb.

    what I do is custom partitioning, clear all the partitions from he drive
    and click auto allocate, and the installer will pick partition sizes for
    me, you should have no trouble with a 36gb drive.

    hell I got mdv 2007.1 to work on an old ibm aptiva with an 8.4 gb drive,
    my server. if I remember right I have about 1 gb swap and the rest /, no
    separate /home

  7. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 04:14:25 GMT, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    > you need about 8.4 to 10 gb for /
    > about 3.8 for swap assuming 32 bit system
    > an whatever is left for /home.


    No reason to have 3.8 gig for swap unless you are running Oracle or
    some huge database engine.

    I have 946 meg of ram, running 5 thunderbirds, 1 firefox, slrn, had a
    two kde sessions up with 8 desktops and still had not used swap.

    I suggest 512 meg bytes or size of ram, whichever comes first.
    If a laptop, size of ram plus 512 meg bytes.

    I do a custom install, mount swap at 512MB, around 10 gig MB for /
    installed all package groups except LSB. Installed another 1gig of games
    and usage, with 6 weeks of logs, shows 7.8G used.

  8. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive



    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 04:14:25 GMT, chris gareau wrote:
    >> you need about 8.4 to 10 gb for /
    >> about 3.8 for swap assuming 32 bit system
    >> an whatever is left for /home.

    >
    > No reason to have 3.8 gig for swap unless you are running Oracle or
    > some huge database engine.
    >
    > I have 946 meg of ram, running 5 thunderbirds, 1 firefox, slrn, had a
    > two kde sessions up with 8 desktops and still had not used swap.
    >
    > I suggest 512 meg bytes or size of ram, whichever comes first.
    > If a laptop, size of ram plus 512 meg bytes.
    >
    > I do a custom install, mount swap at 512MB, around 10 gig MB for /
    > installed all package groups except LSB. Installed another 1gig of games
    > and usage, with 6 weeks of logs, shows 7.8G used.



    my computer has 1 gb of ram and hardle ever touches swap except to
    suspend to disk, but that is what the mdv installer gave me so I will
    not complain espicialy when I have 200 gb of space on the drive.

    besides it doesn't hurt to have it just incase, it would suck to find
    out you had to resize a bunch of partitions just to give yourself more
    swap space.

  9. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:56:45 -0400, chris gareau wrote:

    > besides it doesn't hurt to have it just incase, it would suck to find
    > out you had to resize a bunch of partitions just to give yourself more
    > swap space.


    I have 512MB ram. I had 2GB swap. Trying to runn kdiff3, or just diff,
    on to cd iso images, I found that the programs would crash, with not
    enough memory available, after only using around 1280 MB of swap. No
    point in providing more than 2.5 x ram, as swap space, as it will never
    be used.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins


    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  10. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    On 2007-08-28, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:56:45 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> besides it doesn't hurt to have it just incase, it would suck to find
    >> out you had to resize a bunch of partitions just to give yourself more
    >> swap space.

    >
    > I have 512MB ram. I had 2GB swap. Trying to runn kdiff3, or just diff,
    > on to cd iso images, I found that the programs would crash, with not
    > enough memory available, after only using around 1280 MB of swap. No
    > point in providing more than 2.5 x ram, as swap space, as it will never
    > be used.


    If 'diff' is consuming large amounts of memory comparing CD
    ISO images, something is wrong--unless the ISO images differ
    and happen to look like text. I routinely run 'diff' on CD
    ISO images without it consuming large amounts of RAM.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  11. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:40:17 -0400, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > If 'diff' is consuming large amounts of memory comparing CD
    > ISO images, something is wrong--unless the ISO images differ


    You are correct. With a binary file, diff simply compares blocks,
    in succession, until a difference is found, and then just reports
    that the files are different.

    When I posted the above, I'd forgotten, that I'd done a hexdump
    of each iso file, as I wanted to see what the differences were.

    As both files have the name number of lines, and only (hopefully)
    a few are different, I'll have to write a small program that
    does simple line by line compares, without the sophistcated
    processing normally done by diff. Should be fairly straightforward,
    as long as I can get, just a portion of each file in memory, at a time.

    You'd think diff would have an option to make this fairly simple, even
    if it only outputs the offset(s), of where the difference is found.
    The hexdumps are 1.6GB. When I was running the diff, I even tried
    setting up a 20GB swap, but as I found out, diff would report
    memory exhausted, with a little over 1200KB of swap, actually used.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins


    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  12. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    On 2007-08-29, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:40:17 -0400, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:
    >
    >> If 'diff' is consuming large amounts of memory comparing CD
    >> ISO images, something is wrong--unless the ISO images differ

    >
    > You are correct. With a binary file, diff simply compares blocks,
    > in succession, until a difference is found, and then just reports
    > that the files are different.
    >
    > When I posted the above, I'd forgotten, that I'd done a hexdump
    > of each iso file, as I wanted to see what the differences were.
    >
    > As both files have the name number of lines, and only (hopefully)
    > a few are different, I'll have to write a small program that
    > does simple line by line compares, without the sophistcated
    > processing normally done by diff. Should be fairly straightforward,
    > as long as I can get, just a portion of each file in memory, at a time.
    >
    > You'd think diff would have an option to make this fairly simple, even
    > if it only outputs the offset(s), of where the difference is found.
    > The hexdumps are 1.6GB. When I was running the diff, I even tried
    > setting up a 20GB swap, but as I found out, diff would report
    > memory exhausted, with a little over 1200KB of swap, actually used.


    Are you wanting a program that tells you what bytes of the
    two files are different and what the bytes' values are? I
    have a short C program that does that. Email me if you
    would like it.

    --
    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net
    (Yes, that is one of my email addresses.)

  13. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:28:05 -0400, Robert M. Riches Jr. wrote:

    > Are you wanting a program that tells you what bytes of the
    > two files are different and what the bytes' values are? I
    > have a short C program that does that. Email me if you
    > would like it.


    I did some more reading.
    The cmp command tells me what byte/line number the text files
    start to differ at.

    The "comm -3" command shows be the lines that are different,
    and is almost exactly what I need, but ends up with too much
    output, in this case.

    The hexdump files are 1.6GB in size. The cmp command shows
    $ cmp x5.hexdump x6.hexdump
    x5.hexdump x6.hexdump differ: byte 1494198987, line 30869842

    I then used dd to copy the tail of each file, leaving me
    with 133M files, which I can compare using diff.

    The files were created using k3b, reading a scratched cd.
    I did a lot of attempts, with lots of polishing of the
    cd, using isopropyl alcohol, between each attempt.

    One of the attempts, succeded without having to tell k3b
    to ignore errors, but the next day, I couldn't remember
    which, was which, as I had tried it again, after getting the
    "good" result, to see if the cd was now consistently
    readable.

    I expected k3b would write zeroes in sectors, where it
    found errors. I now know, that is not the case. However,
    one of the two does contain a lot more hex 00, and duplicate
    characters.

    Thanks for the offer of the program, but as above, I've found
    tools in linux, to do what I needed.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    --
    Change nomail.afraid.org to ody.ca to reply by email.
    (nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
    use in usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

  14. Re: mandriva 2007 spring won't install on 36gb drive

    "Robert M. Riches Jr." writes:

    >On 2007-08-28, David W. Hodgins wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:56:45 -0400, chris gareau wrote:
    >>
    >>> besides it doesn't hurt to have it just incase, it would suck to find
    >>> out you had to resize a bunch of partitions just to give yourself more
    >>> swap space.

    >>
    >> I have 512MB ram. I had 2GB swap. Trying to runn kdiff3, or just diff,


    Far more than is needed.

    >> on to cd iso images, I found that the programs would crash, with not
    >> enough memory available, after only using around 1280 MB of swap. No



    It is idiotic to use swap for anything. You may as well haul out your
    abacus.


    >> point in providing more than 2.5 x ram, as swap space, as it will never
    >> be used.


    >If 'diff' is consuming large amounts of memory comparing CD
    >ISO images, something is wrong--unless the ISO images differ
    >and happen to look like text. I routinely run 'diff' on CD
    >ISO images without it consuming large amounts of RAM.


+ Reply to Thread