    I am using the server that webmin knows how to configure by default, if
    anybody could explain or point me to a good howtoo please.

  2. Re: dhcp server will not start

    On 2007-08-23, chris gareau wrote:
    > I am trying to setup a dhcp server on that old aptiva, the darn thing
    > will not start.
    >
    > I am using the server that webmin knows how to configure by default, if
    > anybody could explain or point me to a good howtoo please.

    Do you have an error message ?

  3. Re: dhcp server will not start

    nicolas vigier wrote:
    > On 2007-08-23, chris gareau wrote:
    >> I am trying to setup a dhcp server on that old aptiva, the darn thing
    >> will not start.
    >>
    >> I am using the server that webmin knows how to configure by default, if
    >> anybody could explain or point me to a good howtoo please.

    > Do you have an error message ?

    all webmin tells me it service dhcpd start [failed]

  4. Re: dhcp server will not start

    nicolas vigier wrote:
    > On 2007-08-23, chris gareau wrote:
    >> I am trying to setup a dhcp server on that old aptiva, the darn thing
    >> will not start.
    >>
    >> I am using the server that webmin knows how to configure by default, if
    >> anybody could explain or point me to a good howtoo please.

    > Do you have an error message ?

    Module Index
    Error
    Failed to start dhcpd :

    Starting dhcpd: [FAILED]

    <- Return to previous page

  5. Re: dhcp server will not start

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:40:11 GMT, chris gareau wrote:

    > all webmin tells me it service dhcpd start [failed]

    Click up a terminal,
    su - root

    service dhcpd restart

    If no error messages,
    tail -50 /var/log/messages
    and see if there is more info about dhcpd.

    Sorry I cannot remember if dhcpd has it's own log diretory/file.
    You might look arould in /var/log and in dhcpd's config file for log
    dir/file location.

    Another option is to run
    /etc/cron.weekly/slocate.cron
    or /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    depending on which Mandriva release is installed.
    If not installed, do a
    urpmi slocate

    then do the above /etc/ commands again.

    Now, you can do a
    locate dhcp | grep doc
    to see what documentation was installed.

    Worst comes to worst, you can do a
    man dhcpd
    and see if there are some information which might help you find your problem.

  6. Re: dhcp server will not start

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 00:40:11 GMT, chris gareau wrote:
    >
    >> all webmin tells me it service dhcpd start [failed]

    > Click up a terminal,
    > su - root
    >
    > service dhcpd restart
    >
    > If no error messages,
    > tail -50 /var/log/messages
    > and see if there is more info about dhcpd.
    >
    > Sorry I cannot remember if dhcpd has it's own log diretory/file.
    > You might look arould in /var/log and in dhcpd's config file for log
    > dir/file location.
    >
    > Another option is to run
    > /etc/cron.weekly/slocate.cron
    > or /etc/cron.daily/mlocate.cron
    > depending on which Mandriva release is installed.
    > If not installed, do a
    > urpmi slocate
    >
    > then do the above /etc/ commands again.
    >
    > Now, you can do a
    > locate dhcp | grep doc
    > to see what documentation was installed.
    >
    > Worst comes to worst, you can do a
    > man dhcpd
    > and see if there are some information which might help you find your problem.

    I figured out what I did wrong

  7. Re: dhcp server will not start

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 05:03:58 +0000, chris gareau wrote:

    > I figured out what I did wrong

    And the answer is ......

  8. Re: dhcp server will not start

    Jim Whitby wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 05:03:58 +0000, chris gareau wrote:
    >

    >> I figured out what I did wrong

    > And the answer is ......

    oh sorry.....

    when setting up subnets, don't define the ip range on the first page,
    define a address pol for them and it worked fine. acctuley I used
    drakwizard to set it up then edited the settings with webmin to be the
    way I liked, I had to manualy remove all the pxe crap to get the server
    to start but after I did that it worked fine

    here is the gutts of my config file

    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.5;
    option routers 192.168.1.1;
    ddns-update-style none;
    allow booting;
    allow bootp;

    authoritative;
    # not authoritative;

    # the class know exist just for deny the response to other DHCP request
    class "known" {
    match hardware;
    one-lease-per-client on;
    ddns-updates on;
    ddns-domainname = "";
    option domain-name "";
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.5;
    ddns-hostname = pick-first-value(ddns-hostname, option host-name);
    option fqdn.no-client-update on;
    set vendor_class_identifier = option vendor-class-identifier;
    }

    # TAG: COMPUTER_LIST_BEGIN
    #host compute9{
    # hardware ethernet 00:02:b3:3f:7e:b7;
    # fixed-address compute9;
    # TAG: COMPUTER_LIST_END

    # subnet 192.168.200.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
    option routers 192.168.1.1;
    default-lease-time 28800;
    max-lease-time 86400;
    option domain-name "";
    option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.5 , 192.168.1.1;
    next-server 192.168.1.5;
    pool {
    range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.199;
    }